Sony Showcase The RX10 image thread

BruPri

Top Veteran
Name
Bruce J. Pritchard
Well, now that the 1 V1 is gone and since this is now my only camera, I figured I and others needed a place to put some pics... nothing spectacular really as it's still gray and cold outside, summer is coming though!
untitled-8.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

untitled8.jpg

untitled-32.jpg

untitled-43.jpg

untitled-52.jpg

untitled-61.jpg

untitled-22.jpg

untitled-51.jpg

After seeing Lucille's post about only shooting .jpg with the RX1, I thought I'd give it a try with the RX10. Currently Lightroom is one of the only processors that support the RAW files which have been my only format for years. I have to say, the RX10 exposure is pretty spot on so not much is needed in PP, here are a few jpgs touched up in Aperture, pretty darn fine I was surprised,
DSC00475.jpg

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

I had a choice of a really nice used Leica X1 whose colors I prefer to the X2, and this Sony, for once I think I made the right decision. The Leica APS-C sensor is lovely and magic but I think technology is closing in and I'm finding that I'm seeing plenty to like for once with the little Sony. Yay!

Hoped there would be more RX10 participants contributing here, oh well. I'm really enjoying this rig, as my only camera, it's the first one since I've known what RAW was, that I'm currently shooting .JPG (super fine), partially because of the limited RAW support at this point but mostly because the camera just seems to get it right, and quicker than I would processing the RAW files. Here are a couple of portraits at ISO 800

untitled-111.jpg

untitled-101.jpg

Yes, a pleasure to use

this truly is a package which makes it easy to be prepared for most any photographic opportunity. Here's a b&w conversion of the jpeg (which I am using in many situations other than when I am shooting for my MOMA exhibit, which of course requires full frame raw images :).

Rick

Attachments

• 20140204_ASU Research Park-Clouds_001.jpg
    20140204_ASU Research Park-Clouds_001.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 301
I tried RAW conversion in both Capture One and LR5, and at this point, I trust the in camera super fine JPGs more. I'm finding the sharpness as good, often times superior to most every camera I've owned, that being said, the rendering of the 1" sensor is much different than my M9 Summilux, but I'm finding the exposure/white balance and overall I/Q spot on. What's bothered me in previous Sonys (NEX series, RX-1, RX-100), was the hyper detail front to back, resulting in a rather flat, unnatural rendering. The RX10 is closer in this regard, keepers are way up and it's really fun to use.

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for sharing your RX10 photos and thoughts. Can you say a little more regarding how the RX10 compares to the Nikon 1 system, particularly in regards to IQ and speed of operation/AF?

Not that I need another camera or anything...

Thanks!

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for sharing your RX10 photos and thoughts. Can you say a little more regarding how the RX10 compares to the Nikon 1 system, particularly in regards to IQ and speed of operation/AF?

Not that I need another camera or anything...

Thanks!
... oh yes you do John!

Because I'm taking the long way around the block to answer your question, let me preface this by saying about a year ago, I made the decision to jump off the high-end Leica, Sony NEX/RX-1 bandwagon. I had always loved all the things the V1 was about, especially with the FT-1. I picked up another and decided to challenge myself. That was the one camera I would go with and prove to myself that was the only system I needed and if it couldn't be shot with that, then I better find other things to do. You adapt to a piece of kit's weaknesses and strengths and tell the best story you can within those boundaries. Then I saw the RX-10. It appeared to me to be like a V1 on steroids in every regard. I loved the looks of it and the thought of never having to change lenses was nice. I had all the great V1 lenses and yet I grew weary of constantly having to decide which one to use in which situation and lugging all that around. BTW, I found that Phase One's Capture One was a really great match for the V1, the noise reduction was automatic and simply intuitive. I rarely shot anything over 400ISO. Jump ahead to the RX-10, I/Q just as good, with better high ISO capability. It's really state of the art and in my opinion, much better than my V1. It just works, it's a different animal, it doesn't have that hyped up Sony rendering I experienced with their previous products. With minor tweaking, I can equal the IQ and rendering I was able to achieve with my M9. It will not give you the shallow depth of field one would get with a Summilux but it's good enough for me. The 1system AF is lightning but the Sony is plenty fast for me and has a constant 2.8 from 24-200mm. I LOVE the camera and this comes from someone that's had practically every make/model from every manufacturer over the last 5 years. (I did pick up a used Leica X1 last week) now I have two pieces of kit that are perfectly suited to my wants. I would strongly suggest trying one out, I've been a big fan of yours since I got my first V1, I'd be interested to know what you think!

Bruce

Like you, I have the V1 and the RX10.
I love them both, for different reasons.

The RX10 is my everyday, travel camera. So nice not to have to lug around additional lenses.
I especially love the wifi send to phone function. Makes it so convenient to upload and share my photos while out in the field.
Video is nice too, but I prefer 4K. Cant wait for a 4k version of the RX10.

But I do like the V1 for the 2.7 times factor when I am shooting primarily long telephoto shots.

The next camera I am eyeing over the horizon is the Sony A7s for 4k and super sensitivity.

Yesterday I made a decision to sell all my Fuji X gear and plump for a RX10. I'm stepping off the GAS merry-go-round before splashing out for a Fuji 10-24 :).

Can someone here advise what the exposure bracketing options for the RX10 are.

Exposure bracketing, is 3 continuous or single shots in 1/3 or 2/3 EV steps. I've never used it but probably should try as it seems to my eye, all my images seem to benefit from getting a bump down in exposure and/or highlights in LR5.

Back