The skeletal remains of a once beautiful lady

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
My photographic quest today was to try and get close to the remains of the yacht Iverna, now a wreck on the shore of the Kingsbridge estuary. She was built in 1890 to the orders of a member of the jameson (of Irish whisky fame) family, 118 feet long over the bowsprit, 18 feet beam and carrying over 8000 square feet of sail. She raced the famous yachts of her day, in 1891 she won 23 prizes.

1070519_edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

She now lies under the trees near Lincombe on the west side of the estuary. I have to wait for the tide to fall further, and even then it was a struggle to clamber over the rocks and wade through very soft mud.

1070556_edit.jpg

Her iron frame lies stripped of its teak planking and fallen over on her starboard side.

1070554_edit.jpg

Seaweed grows along her length and at high tide she often acts as a roosting site for both Redshank and Greenshank.

1070580_edit.jpg

Her prow lies close under the trees.

1070586_edit.jpg

She's slowly disintegrating with the passage of time.

Barrie

Such an inglorious end, but it certainly makes a fascinating photographic study. I gather that the lighting conditions must have been difficult to shoot in.

Nic, yes conditions were not easy, only weak, diffuse sun, but a rather pale sky with high cirrus cloud, coupled to a dark subject mainly in the shade of the trees. The dynamic range certainly exceeded the capacity of the GH2's sensor. I've had to work on boosting the shadows in Silver Efex Pro 2 and forgo anything in the sky, or even high value tones in the background. The subject would be better illuminated soon after dawn in the high summer months, although strong lighting would cast smaller deep shadows, so an early morning with pale overcast in say June might make things a lot easier.

Barrie

A further shot edited in Photo Ninja

Purely by coincidence I was looking at this photographers web site The Lightweight Photographer | Improve your photography with lighter equipment and he has a post about a new photo editor Photo Ninja, so I've tried it out and done a first, quick, rough and ready edit, not really knowing what i was doing. I've ended up with this, it's probably not satisfactory in some respects but the editor shows a lot of promise in what it can pull out from shots taken of scenes with high dynamic range. I did a little work in SEP 2, getting a tiff into that application through AfterShot Pro, so a bit of a convoluted route, but I am going to experiment some more with Photo Ninja.

1070562_v1_gimp.jpg

Barrie

Back