The Three Amigos Ride

As one of the Wilson, Kepple and Betty act (See the sand dance on U Tube) or the 3 stooges....whichever.....my apologies for being late to report.

Ray/Don, this is the first you heard of it.....but I was taken unwell yesterday. Although the blister on my foot was painful and made walking difficult, I was quite happy to grit my teeth and bear it.

However, I ended up suffering from a sun stroke/heat exhaustion`combo. The slowness of my gait towards the end of our day was purely heat exhaustion and my brains were boiling. PD sufferers must always avoid excessive heat...which I failed to do.

Don and I had talked ourselves into a lather about Guinness and were determined to have one. I recall downing the first one and feeling (within a couple of seconds) as though I had been floored by Ali. I actually started hallucinating and believed that Don was after my X100S (well why wouldn't he?) The 2nd Guinness was like a right handed Foreman hay maker. I knew something was wrong but couldn't figure what! I was very jittery and needed to leave the bar that minute to survive. Don, I have no recall of getting to the station, I have no recall of getting on the train (but I found a $20 excess payment receipt in my bag)

I recall waking up a number of times on the train in what i can only describe as an open swiss army knife position, I recall getting off the train and going to wrong end of platform to exit.

I recall semi-collapsing in the street outside Penn Station, and recall staying there for a long while. I took some photos which I have no memory of. I got back to my hotel quite late. There was a message on my cell phone this morning from my bank asking if it was I that tried to obtain thousands of dollars from my account via the WElls Fargo atm at Penn (in separate transactions)

I have slept on and off for most if the day If I can find any photos from the day I will post them.

I am actually laughing now, but it was a rum ole day for sure.

Cheers guys, I enjoyed the bits I recall,

shhhhsssshhhhhh...kids, ya can't take them anywhere......

I should have ended my post thus......

" I have not had so much fun I cannot recall since I was......ooooh.....17 or 18 years old"

Pete, I owe ya a few pints and Ray a bottle of that fancy schmancey wine.... as you can see Pete, we don't do too bad for colonist........ we like having youse good folks from the Olde country......

As one of the Wilson, Kepple and Betty act (See the sand dance on U Tube) or the 3 stooges....whichever.....my apologies for being late to report.

Ray/Don, this is the first you heard of it.....but I was taken unwell yesterday. Although the blister on my foot was painful and made walking difficult, I was quite happy to grit my teeth and bear it.

However, I ended up suffering from a sun stroke/heat exhaustion`combo. The slowness of my gait towards the end of our day was purely heat exhaustion and my brains were boiling. PD sufferers must always avoid excessive heat...which I failed to do.

Don and I had talked ourselves into a lather about Guinness and were determined to have one. I recall downing the first one and feeling (within a couple of seconds) as though I had been floored by Ali. I actually started hallucinating and believed that Don was after my X100S (well why wouldn't he?) The 2nd Guinness was like a right handed Foreman hay maker. I knew something was wrong but couldn't figure what! I was very jittery and needed to leave the bar that minute to survive. Don, I have no recall of getting to the station, I have no recall of getting on the train (but I found a $20 excess payment receipt in my bag)

I recall waking up a number of times on the train in what i can only describe as an open swiss army knife position, I recall getting off the train and going to wrong end of platform to exit.

I recall semi-collapsing in the street outside Penn Station, and recall staying there for a long while. I took some photos which I have no memory of. I got back to my hotel quite late. There was a message on my cell phone this morning from my bank asking if it was I that tried to obtain thousands of dollars from my account via the WElls Fargo atm at Penn (in separate transactions)

I have slept on and off for most if the day If I can find any photos from the day I will post them.

I am actually laughing now, but it was a rum ole day for sure.

Cheers guys, I enjoyed the bits I recall,
Good God Pete - I knew you were hurting but thought it was just your feet and general fatigue. I've had heat exhaustion/stroke once on a long bicycle ride and I wasn't right for a few days. I'm glad you got back to your hotel, although it sounds like quite a harrowing experience. And I'm glad you're feeling mostly better today. I feel bad we took you so far afield - there's plenty to see in a much smaller area of Philly and we could have easily kept cooler in the process.

-Ray

Ray, don't feel bad......no, no, no. I can dine on this and embellish at will for years to come. I loved meeting you 2 guys and watching you work from your six. You were great company, and I wouldn't have changed a thing...........apart from the Guinness.........I'd have liked a couple more.

Ray, don't feel bad......no, no, no. I can dine on this and embellish at will for years to come. I loved meeting you 2 guys and watching you work from your six. You were great company, and I wouldn't have changed a thing...........apart from the Guinness.........I'd have liked a couple more.
Well, I guess it ended well enough. But I can't think of too many things I'd like less than feeling as disoriented and out of it as you must have with heat stroke and trying to negotiate your way through trains and two foreign cities when you can barely function at all. I'm glad you're through it and I'm sure the future entertainment value will be great, but it sounds like it could have turned out a lot worse, so I'm glad you're OK and wish we hadn't pushed quite so much. Then again, it might have just been that enormous South Philly Hoagie that did you in... :cool:

-Ray

I recall semi-collapsing in the street outside Penn Station, and recall staying there for a long while.

...good LORD. Glad you came home at all, much less with all your belongings. Reminds of one very bad, drunken evening at the end of college, being awoken in a flower bed by a homeless guy.

Great thread! Photos mean so much more when it involves folks that we know. Thanks for sharing Don, Pete and Ray.

Pete, I hope you are feeling better. Glad you made it back to the hotel in one piece.

Well, hello all. Belatedly, I am posting my very meagre contribution from the ride of the 3 amigo's.

There is one final twist which, now, is amusing...but was scary at the time.

We were within 1 hour of landing at London Heathrow. Unusually for me, I had slept very well on the flight. I awoke suddenly feeling very unwell, nauseous. I grabbed a puke bag and went to see my wife on the other side of the aircraft to tell her I felt unwell. I retreated behind a curtain into 1st class and began to feel faint. The black tunnel appeared and I half fell half dropped to the floor to prevent injury and to fight what I thought was the grim reaper. My wife knelt down to help me and find out what was wrong. About 5 seconds later, a member of the flight crew came bowling along in the dark, tripped over us and smashed his face on the main fuselage door, concussing himself and bleeding from a gash to his eye. All hell broke loose, and another passenger fainted at back of plane in the panic.. I spent the rest of the time on oxygen, feeling more and more unwell. The plane landed and I was taken by ambulance to a local A&E Dept. It turns out that the oxygen had run out and I was breathing my own exhalations and a bit of fresh air. Anyways, ECG revealed an irregular heart beat, blood showed some form of infection....apart from that, all was ok and I was discharged.

Anyone looking for a lucky travel companion?

10026067436_0228483976_z.jpg

Philly1 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026008634_9bdcdc87af_z.jpg

Philly2 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026138093_50ddf48559_z.jpg

Philly3 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026067815_f8acd24bc7_z.jpg

Philly4 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026034204_45a84937c0_z.jpg

Philly6 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026109986_26f973ebf5_z.jpg

Philly7 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026117936_555d5377f6_z.jpg

Philly8 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026069794_acd3856c05_z.jpg

Philly9 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026074364_e0ed941d97_z.jpg

Philly10 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

10026122515_7a969567ae_z.jpg

Philly11 by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

Jeez Pete! Sounds like you need to rest and really get well before your next adventure.

Thanks for the photos too. I have several shots of the same subjects, but none of them turned out particularly well.

-Ray

Pete, a trooper you must be. Seriously, it was difficult at best to see how much pain you were in. Both Ray and I knew and slowed down some but you really hide your stuff rather well. Next time, I would really appreciate it if you don't keep us in the dark. We could have just as well sat and talked for hours and still had a wonderful time.

I always watch Ray because him and I get turned on by the same things, we just respond differently. That in itself is exciting. So I was watching you and I thought to myself...."self, what the heck is he doing"? Most times your camera was pointed down or to some angle that made me wonder what things look like in the old country. I gotta tell ya Pete...it was a great experience to spend analog time with ya.....lets do it again some day and till then.....have a Guinness and a Jack....I'll do likewise.

You and Ray were both right with the advice on the XE-1....thank ya's kindly........

Holy heck Pete, that's an "adventure" and a half you had there. Glad you guys had a great day shooting and talking but next time let's hope it all has a much better ending!

My wife once fainted on a plane, and actually wet her pants in the process - just lost total control as she fainted,right there in her seat. No one got hurt, but she did have to wear wet jeans for a trans-atlantic flight.

Which is to say, it could've been worse, I guess. I hope they quickly figure out what's wrong and get you sorted. Be well.

Back