The TOY NERD thread!

A cold morning here in Oregon, but some monsters get up early to warm themselves up in the morning sunshine.

XT3_Nov9_22_morning_monsters.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The toys aren't mine, but they were featured prominently in a restaurant ("Laughing Planet") in Eugene, Oregon, where I stopped for a meal, and they were definitely worthy of a photo or two. This particular dinosaur still had her festive Holiday bow on--

X30_Jan15_23_Xmas_dinosaur@laughing.planet.jpg

While her neighbor went hatless--

X30_Jan15_23_dinosaur@laughing.planet.jpg

And mere inches away, others were assembled inside a glassed-in display case. (I like the bobble-head of Edgar Allan Poe, down at the far end.)

X30_Jan15_23_Toys@laughing.planet.jpg

The food was rather tasty, too.

It's raining again here so the play with trains continues. Adding to the rolling stock to complete my passenger train.
DSC04895 (2).JPG

When we split up our sets for distribution to our kids and their kids I included this car in a box of cars that went back east. I thought my wife knew it was originally part of a set but I guess that wasn't known to her so we had to replace it to make the set correct again.
DSC04897 (2).JPG

It has a nice load of sand in it which is actually quite heavy, relatively speaking of course.

Did you have the "Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle" ? A few kids at my school had them. As far as I could see the only stunt was to go hurtling across the playground and ram into someone's ankle, and then fall over. The injuries were minor compared to what the real Evel had to deal with, of course.

I liked old Evel - he was a cool character.

-R

Did you have the "Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle" ? A few kids at my school had them. As far as I could see the only stunt was to go hurtling across the playground and ram into someone's ankle, and then fall over. The injuries were minor compared to what the real Evel had to deal with, of course.

-R
I certainly did, not just once but twice. The picture shows the current "reboot" version of Evel I had many decades ago, complete with cycle which my sister (sorry, Santa), got me as a Christmas present. Complete with ramp, of course too.

Last edited:

-R
He was a colorful character, but he was a pretty awful human by nearly all accounts.

That said, the list of items which he attempted to jump over (most often successfully, but memorably not always) that's compiled on Wikipedia use a delightfully absurd read.

- K

He was a colorful character, but he was a pretty awful human by nearly all accounts.

That said, the list of items which he attempted to jump over (most often successfully, but memorably not always) that's compiled on Wikipedia use a delightfully absurd read.

- K
I won't spoil my image of him by reading that Wikipedia page (at this rate, someone will be telling me Father Christmas doesn't exist next). But I do remember something in the dim distant past about a crash.

Back