The TOY NERD thread!

I wouldn't dispute that Mr Knievel was a nasty piece of work in a lot of respects, but as a kid watching those famous stunts I didn't know about that stuff.

I saw the BBC documentary about EK with Richard Hammond a few years ago, which was filmed right at the end of his life. It was hard to watch. EK was in a really bad way - unable to walk and clearly in a lot of pain despite being on serious medication. Hammond was with him on and off for a week or so, and for much of that time he was left waiting in his hotel for a call to say that EK was well enough to carry on with the interview.

But apart from that, the thing I took away from the documentary was that for a lot of those famous jumps, Evel Knievel was basically riding the wrong motorcycle. Instead of using a lightweight, high-revving bike that would have been more suitable (and would probably have been made in Japan) EK would use large and heavy American-made bikes like Harley-Davidsons, through a combination of patriotism and sponsorship. Those big bikes were much harder to get airborne and almost impossible to keep upright on landing, and any accident he had on such a heavy machine was guaranteed to be serious.

-R

I won't spoil my image of him by reading that Wikipedia page (at this rate, someone will be telling me Father Christmas doesn't exist next). But I do remember something in the dim distant past about a crash.
The page really is a delight and although it lists all the crashes and injuries, one needn't dwell on them. The real delight I took was in all the questions it left unanswered. For example: were the 100 rattlesnakes laid end to end, or just piled in a crate? How did they keep the rattlesnakes away the mountain lions, or vice versa?

I wouldn't dispute that Mr Knievel was a nasty piece of work in a lot of respects, but as a kid watching those famous stunts I didn't know about that stuff.

I saw the BBC documentary about EK with Richard Hammond a few years ago, which was filmed right at the end of his life. It was hard to watch. EK was in a really bad way - unable to walk and clearly in a lot of pain despite being on serious medication. Hammond was with him on and off for a week or so, and for much of that time he was left waiting in his hotel for a call to say that EK was well enough to carry on with the interview.

But apart from that, the thing I took away from the documentary was that for a lot of those famous jumps, Evel Knievel was basically riding the wrong motorcycle. Instead of using a lightweight, high-revving bike that would have been more suitable (and would probably have been made in Japan) EK would use large and heavy American-made bikes like Harley-Davidsons, through a combination of patriotism and sponsorship. Those big bikes were much harder to get airborne and almost impossible to keep upright on landing, and any accident he had on such a heavy machine was guaranteed to be serious.

-R
Totally agree that Knievel never made things easy on himself.

I grew up in Montana — the small (population) state from which Knievel also hailed — in the 70's, so as much as he was an icon elsewhere, his fame was even moreso as a "native son" on the big stage of international fame (or infamy). As such, an early memory was witnessing one of his lesser jumps (which didn't even make the Wikipedia list) in person at some podunk fair or mall grand opening event (I don't recall the details). All I really remember was that he was larger than life and his bike was loud.

I did get my own stunt cycle from Santa at some point. Your description of that toy's capabilities, @Richard, pretty well matches my recollection — it definitely didn't live up to the promises of the commercial that ran incessantly during the Saturday morning cartoons. Still, owning one was a minor point of pride in those days.

Now, to bring this back to photography, here are a few images I captured last year when I stopped with my family at the site of Knievel's most audacious stunt, his attempted jump over the Snake River canyon just outside Idaho Falls, Idaho.

The remnants of the take-off ramp (a wooden ramp was built atop this mound from which his "skycycle" was launched):
P8280083.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The "back" side of the ramp:
P8280076.JPG

The view across the canyon from the top of the earthen ramp (the intended landing zone would have been where the light colored vehicle can just be made out in the left third of this shot):
P8280075.JPG

I apologize for the poor quality of these snapshots (particularly the last one).

- K

The page really is a delight and although it lists all the crashes and injuries, one needn't dwell on them. The real delight I took was in all the questions it left unanswered. For example: were the 100 rattlesnakes laid end to end, or just piled in a crate? How did they keep the rattlesnakes away the mountain lions, or vice versa?

Totally agree that Knievel never made things easy on himself.

I grew up in Montana — the small (population) state from which Knievel also hailed — in the 70's, so as much as he was an icon elsewhere, his fame was even moreso as a "native son" on the big stage of international fame (or infamy). As such, an early memory was witnessing one of his lesser jumps (which didn't even make the Wikipedia list) in person at some podunk fair or mall grand opening event (I don't recall the details). All I really remember was that he was larger than life and his bike was loud.

I did get my own stunt cycle from Santa at some point. Your description of that toy's capabilities, @Richard, pretty well matches my recollection — it definitely didn't live up to the promises of the commercial that ran incessantly during the Saturday morning cartoons. Still, owning one was a minor point of pride in those days.

Now, to bring this back to photography, here are a few images I captured last year when I stopped with my family at the site of Knievel's most audacious stunt, his attempted jump over the Snake River canyon just outside Idaho Falls, Idaho.

The remnants of the take-off ramp (a wooden ramp was built atop this mound from which his "skycycle" was launched):
View attachment 371237

The "back" side of the ramp:
View attachment 371238

The view across the canyon from the top of the earthen ramp (the intended landing zone would have been where the light colored vehicle can just be made out in the left third of this shot):
View attachment 371239

I apologize for the poor quality of these snapshots (particularly the last one).

- K
Thanks. When I go to places, let's say for example Idaho, it's places like that which I'm drawn to!

Thanks. When I go to places, let's say for example Idaho, it's places like that which I'm drawn to!
Same. Whenever I go to a new place I always spend some time seeking out the "off the beaten path" attractions and oddities.

For example, if I were to visit London, you'd be more likely to find me spending an afternoon at a place like Novelty Automation (a place which at least tangentially relates to the subject of this thread) than at the British Museum. There's a site called Atlas Obscura that's my go to source of these types of spots. If anyone has any other recommendations for uncovering these off-beat destinations, I'd love it if you'd share.

- K

Last edited:
Actually on another photography forum I'm on, if you veer off track on the subject of the thread, even in the smallest way, then you really do get a telling off.
I'm really glad that isn't the norm here, or I probably wouldn't spend much time here. To me, the tangents are some of the most interesting places to spend time.

But, as penance for my part in leading us off-topic, I promise to post some pictures this weekend of my father-in-law's huge (1:8 scale, maybe?) model train pieces.

- K

I sincerely apologize if I offended any of you by trying to bring this thread back on track.

I once saw a Roadkill Garage show where they actually drove to the launch ramp from California and tried to drive up it. The car started to slide off the ramp where that big rock is as they'd tried to go around it. Had to get help backing down the ramp.

Now back to your regular programing.

DSC05233 (2).JPG

It's raining again today so I'm indoors playing with the train. This is my freight train which has been many years in the collecting. This is the only room I could get it all in one picture.
DSC08059 (2).JPG

I think I'm all done collecting cars for it, at least that's what my wife would like me to think. I'm not sure.

View attachment 372438
It's raining again today so I'm indoors playing with the train. This is my freight train which has been many years in the collecting. This is the only room I could get it all in one picture.View attachment 372441
I think I'm all done collecting cars for it, at least that's what my wife would like me to think. I'm not sure.
I love it. My brother had a huge train collection when we were growing up. Sometimes I dream of collecting trains, but I would have nowhere to put it. It's fun to live vicariously through your pictures.

... as penance for my part in leading us off-topic, I promise to post some pictures this weekend of my father-in-law's huge (1:8 scale, maybe?) model train pieces.

- K
I apologize for being a week late on this assignment. Also, the light wasn't right for capturing the locomotives yesterday, so pics of those will have to wait for another day.

For now, what I can offer is a model sailboat...
20230317-DSCF0924.jpg

20230317-DSCF0945.jpg
20230317-DSCF0931.jpg
20230317-DSCF0927.jpg
20230317-DSCF0933.jpg
20230317-DSCF0936.jpg
20230317-DSCF0947.jpg
20230317-DSCF0917.jpg

- K

Attachments

• 20230317-DSCF0935.jpg
    20230317-DSCF0935.jpg
    853.9 KB · Views: 31
Okay, here are a few shots of the model trains I promised a couple weeks back...

20230321-DSCF0953.jpg

20230321-P3210046.jpg

20230321-P3210047.jpg

20230321-P3210056.jpg

20230321-P3210055.jpg

20230321-P3210051.jpg

20230321-DSCF0959.jpg

- K

Back