Stroll The unintended illusion

summerkl

Veteran
Name
Kevin
Whilst (I've always wanted to use that word) strolling in Vancouver's Yaletown area, I took this photo of the shadows on the wall.

It wasn't until I was processing the photo that I noticed the unintended optical illusion.

20367421258_5847f3bd2d_b.jpg

For me, the right side of the image looks shorter than the left side of the image. However, they are the same height, it is the converging lines playing tricks with your eyes.

Yes, got it!(y) But the illusion is MUCH more evident if one moves the image into an editing program, so that it can be viewed in isolation on an uncluttered screen.

Thanks for posting...

Nice catch! You'll see similar optical illusions with things/people closer to you vs further away (that illusion was used in Lord of the Rings)

Nice catch! You'll see similar optical illusions with things/people closer to you vs further away (that illusion was used in Lord of the Rings)
I think you are talking about forced perspective (making Gandalf look taller than the hobbits?), while I think Kevin is talking about Hering illusion.

On the topic, I didn't see it first, but now that I got it I find it cool.

Thanks Tuukka, I had no idea there was a technical term for it. I merely posted for the fun of it cuz I think its cool too.

Luke, you are absolutely right, much more prominent against a white background or after a beer or two :)

Back