the unofficial Impressionist Image thread

I'm absolutely assuring you, there's nothing sexual involved. When it comes to that, I like some living flesh on the outside of the skellington.

More like a reference to time slipping between fingers. I think. Like el Día de Muertos.

But then, who can be absolutely sure of anything, anyway?
oops !
It was *thanatophilia* of course I meant (no sexual connotation implied at all).
It's fascination of death, the love of dying and transience I had in mind.
Time slipping between fingers is a phrase that hits the nail on the head.
As to the above mentioned, I wouldn't do without flesh either.
Next time I check my words before I cause misunderstanding. :shakehead: :hide: :dash2:

Last edited:
P8183598.1C.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks! I've learned a new word! Cool.

But as I was already familiar with Thanatos (see note), I should have been able to figure that one out.

NOTE:

In Greek mythology, Thanatos [ancient Greek: Θάνατος], Death [from θνῄσκω, die, am dying], was the god, or personified spirit [daimon], of non-violent death.

His touch was gentle, like that of his twin brother, Hypnos [Sleep]. Thanatos was a minor figure in Greek mythology, often referred to but rarely appearing in person.

Violent death was the domain of the brothers' blood-thirsty sisters, the Keres, spirits of slaughter and disease.

The Keres sound very Heavy Metal!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"
[William Congreve]

Last edited:
This gave rise to a new, interesting, thread of thought:

Necromancy is a form of divination magic which involves calling up and consulting the spirits of the dead, either about information they knew in life, or about the future, because the dead are thought to be outside time, and therefore know the future as well.

Thanaturgy involves very little divination and is more concerned with the undead - creating them, controlling them, and mimicking their powers.

In some settings necromancy, or thanaturgy, may also have other dark functions to do with the manipulation of life generally - often these are about death and disease, but in some cases they may include biothaumaturgy (like a kind of magical biotech), and other forms of grim medicine.

Number of new words learned today: three;

thanatophilia, thanaturgy, biothaumaturgy

Last edited:
Thanks! I've learned a new word! Cool.

But as I was already familiar with Thanatos (see note), I should have been able to figure that one out.

NOTE:

In Greek mythology, Thanatos [ancient Greek: Θάνατος], Death [from θνῄσκω, die, am dying], was the god, or personified spirit [daimon], of non-violent death.

His touch was gentle, like that of his twin brother, Hypnos [Sleep]. Thanatos was a minor figure in Greek mythology, often referred to but rarely appearing in person.

Violent death was the domain of the brothers' blood-thirsty sisters, the Keres, spirits of slaughter and disease.

The Keres sound very Heavy Metal!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"
[William Congreve]
Nice to see I'm surrounded by others who enjoyed a humanistic education including Greek mythology (how I loved the real-life stories of all those Gods with their human weaknesses) and the love of poetry and fiction.

What is the gear you're using for your unsharpies? Something esoteric, or do you just not focus your pictures?
You guessed it, Erich.
I use manual lenses only and focus to a desired degree, either to keep some of the form or to achieve patches of colour.
But mainly it is a double exposure in camera, one in focus and the other out of focus, plus overexposure.
This procedure demands a lot of time and patience, so people may see me standing in the same place for half an hour or more. I am greatly amused by the reactions this behavior effects.

You guessed it, Erich.
I use manual lenses only and focus to a desired degree, either to keep some of the form or to achieve patches of colour.
But mainly it is a double exposure in camera, one in focus and the other out of focus, plus overexposure.
This procedure demands a lot of time and patience, so people may see me standing in the same place for half an hour or more. I am greatly amused by the reactions this behavior effects.
Good sh*t! I'll try your recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Cheers/Erik

Back