Ricoh The Unofficial Unauthorized GRD3 International Street Thread

Thanks everyone. Sue, maybe you should rethink the GRD. The camera was designed for street. Perhaps you should rethink street as per the GRD. What I mean is, the camera really does GRIT well. So then, try using higher ISO's to emphasize the grit. I like it up to 1600 for sure. That way even in snap focus, you get a higher shutter speed. This is one of the cameras that when the files are somewhat noisy, that translates to grain. I'm saying grain because of the old film days.
Even on my X100, I often shoot at 2000 or more in bright light.
Don

OK I'll give it a go, thanks for that, and yes, I have been noticing the grit. I thought you guys were just doing grainy in post. I love it.

Norman, I'm only viewing on an iPhone, but I like the second and LOVE the third. Very tough to tell what's real and what's an existing image in that third one. Am I to assume you're getting more comfortable with snap focus?

-Ray

I haven't touched the X100 in a week due to the freedom the GRD3 grants.
Really a great experience...
When I got the grd3 I shot with both a lot - x100 on a strap and grd3 in a pocket. But in good light I just kept gravitating toward the Ricoh. The x100 has made me face up to the reality that I generally prefer shooting without a viewfinder. Because I love that OVF far more than any other evf/OVF I've used, but I'd still rather frame with the rear screen or by instinct 90% plus of the time. Not sure if thats the same "freedom" you're referring to, but it's the one I react to.

After shooting a bunch of street last week with the ep3, it combines some of the strengths of both pretty well. Pretty good in low light and the AF is soooo fast that a feature like snap focus isn't particularly necessary. If only it had a silent shutter, but that only matters sometimes. Oh well, I've never had a problem having multiple cameras before - no reason to start now.

-Ray

Norman, I'm only viewing on an iPhone, but I like the second and LOVE the third. Very tough to tell what's real and what's an existing image in that third one. Am I to assume you're getting more comfortable with snap focus?

-Ray

Thanks Ray. Yes, I'm using snap focus almost exclusively now and I'm getting more accustomed to the 28mm focal length. This is one street cam that will be hard to replace. I do hope Ricoh come out with a GRD IV but not this year!

Very impressive Norman, those are very striking images. I love the idea of the first where the child is skipping and carefree whilst her mother is all sour faced in her twenties. I bet she see's broken glass where the bairn sees glitter.

I have only begun experimenting with this type of photography. I don't live in a very congested area but I took this shot while in Savannah, Ga almost a month ago while there for my bi-annual pilot recurrent training:

Nice busy scene there. It's tough when your town is small - feels like all eyes are on you when you have a camera in your hand. However, the more you do it the easier it gets and your confidence shows and you look less "shifty" as a result.

Back