The Urban Image Thread

Nice Ray!
I walked by that fountain yesterday on the way to the camera shop and it wasn't running (the fountain) and that's the first time I noticed that walkway underneath, pretty neat.

Really? It was running every time I walked by it last week (and we were staying nearby so I walked by it seemingly at least 4-5 times per day). That walkway is cool - kids love it. Which camera shop, BTW? If Cameras West, a few blocks down 4th, I used to work there for a few months in 1985. Still in the same spot with the huge billboard above the building, but I guess its part of the Ritz chain now. There were two guys working there when I stopped in last week - we used to have 6-7 salespeople on the floor all the time when I was there. Times change...

-Ray

Love that umbrella shot! Ray, I just saw a bunch of your other new uploads and things are looking might fine and sometimes very strange to this New Yorker's eyes! And where's all that Seattle rain?

It rains as much in Philly (and maybe New York?) as it does in Seattle. It just rains more often there, but usually a lighter rain. I remember one summer when we didn't get a drop of rain from July 1st through the end of August, except for one huge thunderstorm in the middle of the night that turned from July to August. And they almost never get thunder or lightning out there either. We got about three drops in the nearly a week we were there. Speaking of umbrellas, here's one more I forgot to include. My favorite spot to get a salad on a nice day down at the market - and the umbrellas are there for sun, not rain! :)

View attachment 40057

-Ray

Taken with S95, and trying something different pertaing to pp.

IMG_0522-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm still behind but catching up - Nuskyn, I like your follow-up street shot in black and white...these two are almost twins, I wonder if one feels superior to the other? Naturally, I'm joking...however, I do find these kind of matching town houses to be rather fascinating in their differences.

Christina, I spied this seemingly never ending line of parked motorcycles on Flickr and I really love what you've done with the Snapseed post processing... You and Karen and Alf are giving me serious G.A.S. pains! ;)

Michael, I'm glad to know that the salmon are still running! Very cool image with the grass and fence line acting as though they're one giant aquarium.:cool:

I'm with you Nic, regarding Jimmy's black and white image...the woman "in black" is key...to making this such an intriguing scene.

retow, the cool colors in that first one with the juxtaposition of real life and that frozen look in the store's windows really emphasizes, for me, the impersonal nature of urban life...while the second reminds me of the beauty and warmth that can be found...if one just keeps looking and walking... I'd really like to go inside Navarra. Great colors in both pictures... I'd be interested to know which camera/s you were using in those low light situations, if you don't mind.

I'm with you Nic, regarding Jimmy's black and white image...the woman "in black" is key...to making this such an intriguing scene.

retow, the cool colors in that first one with the juxtaposition of real life and that frozen look in the store's windows really emphasizes, for me, the impersonal nature of urban life...while the second reminds me of the beauty and warmth that can be found...if one just keeps looking and walking... I'd really like to go inside Navarra. Great colors in both pictures... I'd be interested to know which camera/s you were using in those low light situations, if you don't mind.

They were both shot with the X100, no PP. A great low light camera.

I thought they might have been.;) I agree that it is a great low light camera. Glad to know you're still enjoying that X100, retow. Clicking on your pictures really shows their beauty.

Back