Fremantle Court House (fmr) and Police Station Complex by Andrew Priest, on Flickr
The Fremantle Courthouse (fmr) and Police Station Complex, comprising a limestone Courthouse (1899), Lock-up, (1898), two blocks of two-storey terraces of Police Barracks (fmr) (1897 and 1903), Artillery Drill Hall (fmr) (1896), and Police Station (1978 are today considered areas of cultural heritage significance.
The place formed part of the original convict grant and in the 1850s was the site of Warder’s Cottages (extant in Henderson Street), the Sappers’ and Miners’ Barracks (no longer extant) and of gardens associated with the Fremantle Convict Establishment.
The Police Station Complex over its 150-year history has been the location of buildings housing the institutions that represent law and order in Fremantle and the State; from the 1880s the place has been the site of the Fremantle Police Station and former Courthouse which relocated to be close to Fremantle Prison when it was transferred to colonial control, and is visually part of the area associated with Fremantle Prison, a focal point of the City of Fremantle.
Today, the complex is no longer used as a Police Station and stands empty as options as to its future are considered.