The Urban Image Thread

Drive-by: Silo Park
P1260080.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ben, did they demolish that perfectly good swimming pool?
John the Council was going to refurbish the pool originally, then a few months later claimed there was some subsidence and the whole lot had to come down. Come April our council tax will be raised by at least 7% and perhaps the pool will be rebuilt???
The Council isn’t very community minded so who knows what will happen. The area was once full of flower beds and pleasant to walk around and provided a relaxed area, but they have been all been grassed over with the pool and a skateboard park replacing them and covered in graffitti. So it is no longer a park but has been turned into a (w)recreation ground.
It was used by the community for small music festivals, food fairs and provided a nursery for locals to buy plants. A since demolished and now unused for community gatherings.😒

@Ben Casper Bloody local governments the world over it seems, Ben. Never a shortage of funds for new council buildings, art work that's too valuable to be on public display, so only in the no go areas of the buildings that we, the people, actually own. Etc, etc, etc ...

Don't start me on planning and related!
My personal favorite is when pro sports teams swindle city councils out of funds and prime real estate to build multi-billion dollar playgrounds for multi-millionaires to play in. They always drop the veiled threat of relocating to a city that properly appreciates them in order to get what they want. Just increase taxes on everyone, whether they like the team or not. And these days, stadiums depreciate faster than a mobile home. I used to really be into several pro sports, now I see things differently. I’m talking stateside, I have no idea if this is how it goes elsewhere in the world. I suspect they all probably use the same playbook though.

Back