The Urban Image Thread

Clocks in Time Square, NYC
DSC01038.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

29279751128_1b54f048bb_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Tom Edwards—Fremantle, Australia - Citizen Memorials by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking.

This water fountain in Kings Square, Fremantle, Western Australia was erected in memory of the union member Tom Edwards, who was killed in the ‘Battle of the Barricades’ riot on Fremantle Wharf on 4 May 1919.

29863035498_9d6a109996_k.jpg
Subway - Fremantle - Subway Restaurants
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking [1].

Today's subject was the local Subway, the home of the submarine sandwich as they like to call it. Subway is another American cultural influence on the Australian food scene. What caught my eye on this visit to the Fremantle Subway was the marketing of "Fit Chips" like chips are fit, or is it chips make you fit or is I simply a recognition of that people are not that interested in "nutritious alternative to traditional fast foods" and want, you guessed it, "fast foods"?

Anyway it was as these place often are, a challenge to photograph with some interest. Lets just say I am glad I have ticked off this waymark :)

View attachment 191093Tom Edwards—Fremantle, Australia - Citizen Memorials by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking.

This water fountain in Kings Square, Fremantle, Western Australia was erected in memory of the union member Tom Edwards, who was killed in the ‘Battle of the Barricades’ riot on Fremantle Wharf on 4 May 1919.
While this is a documentary picture in its own right, I also like the balanced composition.

Back