The Urban Image Thread

GR000493.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

42115449862_28d29c7ef4_h.jpg

Basilica of St Patrick - Fremantle , Western Australia - Roman Catholic Churches - 2018-01
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking [1].

The St Patrick’s Fremantle was established around 1850, the third Catholic Community in Western Australia after St Mary’s Cathedral Parish Perth and the Benedictine community of New Norcia. Till 1894 the parish was served mainly by Diocesan Priests with the exception of the 1850s when it was served by a number of Benedictines who each came for a short time.

Since 1894 the parish has been entrusted to the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. It was their first foundation in Australia and they have now been responsible for its pastoral care for 102 years. -

It does not appear to be a heritage-listed building which is curious.

49766963093_1602d68eea_h.jpg

Karmaceuticals Apothecary

Karma in the form of COVID-19 has, it seems come a visiting, as a walk past a few days after taking this photo suggests that the business is now closing or closed.

A bit disappointing if it has in fact not been successful as Fremantle is normally considered quite alternative and hence such a business would, you would, think have a good chance.

View attachment 218737
Karmaceuticals Apothecary by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Karma in the form of COVID-19 has, it seems come a visiting, as a walk past a few days after taking this photo suggests that the business is now closing or closed.

A bit disappointing if it has in fact not been successful as Fremantle is normally considered quite alternative and hence such a business would, you would, think have a good chance.
I've been a bit bemused by the sheer number of alternative medicine shops in Chinatown in London on my regular visits back home. I wonder how they're getting on at the moment.

27332362887_c607b73baf_h.jpg

Giant Chess Board - Giant Board Games

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking [1].

Kings Square is the centerpiece of Fremantle. Amongst its features to encourage activation, is a giant chessboard. The chessboard is played with pieces approximately half a metre high. During the day there is easy access to the pieces which are located close by.

Back