The Urban Image Thread

EM530467.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Guy in the shadows on the right (hardly visible, base camping next to his golf cart) gave me the evil eye. Oh-ah, photographers are never ever up to any good ...

M.

49799772946_e306e5a8aa_h.jpg

Together – A symbol of community spirit by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

TOGETHER is the title of the new artwork on the side of Fremantle’s Kings Square car park. The artwork by London-born artist Morag Myerscough spells out the work “together” is this 2,000 sqm art piece, the first permanent artwork by Morag Myerscough in Australia.

51411793508_314beb2ef1_h.jpg

Notre Dame University – School of Nursing and Midwifery by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Notre Dame University Australia’s Fremantle campus is spread across several historical buildings in Fremantle’s heritage-listed west end making it a beautiful campus.

The building, formerly ‘His Majesty Hotel’ was built in the late 1800s on the site of an earlier pub, known as his ‘His Lordship Lager’. Apparently, a structure not as grand as the building today.

The Mail, Fremantle Thursday 26 May 1904 described it thus:

A visitor to Fremantle stepping out of the railway station has his attention at once arrested by that splendid pile of buildings, His Majesty's Hotel, which has arisen, not from the ashes, but upon the site of that quaintly named hostelry, "His Lordship's Larder." The old house was a favourite place of call, but the present imposing building, with its sumptuous internal arrangements, its roomy and handsomely furnished bedrooms, its ornate drawing rooms, and spacious billiard and drawing rooms, all finished and adorned with the utmost skill of the decorative artist, and finished in the best style of the upholsterer, may hold its own with the best hotel in the State of Western Australia. Hotel-keeping in the true sense of that word has become a fine art in Australia, and Messrs Pierce and Murphy, the licensees of His Majesty's Hotel, are experts in the business. – Fremantle Stuff.

Lonely Track Road bridge/suicide station
P1000291.JPG

On the other side of the railing, there are fresh flowers all the time. It has been like this for at least 10 years.
P1000292.JPG

P1000294.JPG

P1000295.JPG

P1000296.JPG

These are all SooC using GX9's L Monochrome D, by the way.

View attachment 270494

Guy in the shadows on the right (hardly visible, base camping next to his golf cart) gave me the evil eye. Oh-ah, photographers are never ever up to any good ...

M.
Always stare back as hard and long as you feel alright to do so. Mostly these people give in and move on.
My last encounter with a person belonging to an habitually intolerant minority happened when I did some urban images, which took some time to find the right place for the intended composition. In this case I had worked on double exposures of posters on an advertising pillar.
As soon as I had finished, this fellow, trailed by wife and child, put himself in my way demanding: "Why did you take a picture of my wife"?
I had not noticed these people at all before, so I snapped back at him: "Who are you and what do you want"?
This counter-attack shrank him visibly and he became very unsure and with some soothing explanations I let him go his way. Otherwise I always suggest
that the police should be called in, but not by me. With lots of people being cowards and shy to get mixed up with the legal authorities there has been no need for this up to now. 😺

Back