The Urban Image Thread

2023-01-08 (Sun) 11-11-34.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's really nice, Matt! Is this taken with a Voigtlander or a 7artisans? (I'm guessing?)
Did you need to do a lot of straightening of verticals?
That's the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 II - no perspective correction whatsoever.

FYI, this month, if it's the Z fc, it's also the 7Artisans - SiF 23. I don't own the Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.2 - but the Nokton 23mm f/1.2 and both versions of the Nokton 35mm f/1.4 for M mount (their rendering is different enough to keep both). The Nokton 35mm f/1.2 seems to use almost the same formula as the Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II. And from the images I've seen, it also has a lot of the same characteristics.

The 23mm f/1.2 is a very nice lens, using aspherical elements to reduce some of the aberrations to be expected with a small, super fast lens. Its rendering is a lot more controlled than what you get from the M mount Noktons - though I have to say that I'm back to really liking the images from the older lens because of its *less* punchy (still quite bold) character and resolutely classic (instead of just mushy) bokeh. I guess I'll have to do a side-by-side for the M mount lenses soon. The new version is more reliable (a lot less focus shift) and is capable of more core sharpness - but its rendering seems a little unbalanced to me. That's what I saw in pictures coming from the 35mm f/1.2 as well when shot wide open: surprisingly high contrast, solid sharpness at the focus point, but more aberrations that I'd like and either nervous, strongly structured or totally mushy bokeh (as if it was smeared out somehow). On the older Nokton, everything seems a bit reduced, sharpness, contrast, but also the mush - "bubble" bokeh is there, but less strongly outlined. btw. both M mount Noktons become very convincing performers from f/4 onwards, with the new one clearly outpacing the old version.

Back to the business "at hand": I'm pretty impressed with the overall performance of the 7Artisans - but its wide open performance is, shall we say, interesting: Spherical and chromatic aberrations are clearly visible, close-up bokeh can be weird and colourful in some situations, completely smooth in others. But stopped down a bit (like I used it yesterday evening), it's really pretty good over most of the image field. The shot above was taken at f/2.8.

M.

Last edited:
That's the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 II - no perspective correction whatsoever.

FYI, this month, if it's the Z fc, it's also the 7Artisans - SiF 23. I don't own the Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.2 - but the Nokton 23mm f/1.2 and both versions of the Nokton 35mm f/1.4 for M mount (their rendering is different enough to keep both). The Nokton 35mm f/1.2 seems to use almost the same formula as the Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II. And from the images I've seen, it also has a lot of the same characteristics.

The 23mm f/1.2 is a very nice lens, using aspherical elements to reduce some of the aberrations to be expected with a small, super fast lens. Its rendering is a lot more controlled than what you get from the M mount Noktons - though I have to say that I'm back to really liking the images from the older lens because of its *less* punchy (still quite bold) character and resolutely classic (instead of just mushy) bokeh. I guess I'll have to do a side-by-side for the M mount lenses soon. The new version is more reliable (a lot less focus shift) and is capable of more core sharpness - but its rendering seems a little unbalanced to me. That's what I saw in pictures coming from the 35mm f/1.2 as well when shot wide open: surprisingly high contrast, solid sharpness at the focus point, but more aberrations that I'd like and either nervous, strongly structured or totally mushy bokeh (as if it was smeared out somehow). On the older Nokton, everything seems a bit reduced, sharpness, contrast, but also the mush - "bubble" bokeh is there, but less strongly outlined. btw. both M mount Noktons become very convincing performers from f/4 onwards, with the new one clearly outpacing the old version.

Back to the business "at hand": I'm pretty impressed with the overall performance of the 7Artisans - but its wide open performance is, shall we say, interesting: Spherical and chromatic aberrations are clearly visible, close-up bokeh can be weird and colourful in some situations, completely smooth in others. But stopped down a bit (like I used it yesterday evening), it's really pretty good over most of the image field. The shot above was taken at f/2.8.

M.
Thank you @MoonMind - very interesting to read your findings. I have two 7artisans lenses : the 25 and 55mm - both for X-mount. I use them too infrequently! The 25 f/1.8 particularly is very nice - almost clinically sharp, but I like sharp
I've been reading up about this one for the Nikon Z fc ... does anybody here have experience using this lens? (sorry, going off topic - replies, if any, into the adapted lenses forum and please tag me there). I've searched and found no references here

1675583825337.png

Back