the vale

It's a tough one but I think I agree with you. The greater detail and the mood of the second one just edge it.

I hadn't seen the second one, that's why! You have a series of this vale and I just haven't found them all. What a vision that view is!

I will have to go with the second, as well. However, I have a feeling there are more in the wings.

pdh, you should definitely be making a collection and then a book. This latest one does have that old masterish feeling. I like it but I still love your first two, and now, especially, the second. If I had that view, I'd be taking pictures of it all the time - so full speed ahead! :2thumbs:

****Wait, how did I miss "peek"? What a wonderful view!

BB it's surprisingly difficult to get decent shots of the vale - it can appear very flat and hazy ... I've made a Flickr set as you've probably seen and when I can find another few minutes I'll trawl through the rest of last year's snaps and see if I can add to it ... thanks to your encouragement of course!

I'm going to buck the trend here PDH. I actually prefer your first take on the Vale.
Why?
Well bottom line it appears to hold my interest for longer of the two. Dissecting this I think it's because of the starkness of the black and white in the mid-ground (trees v snow) - while the second is softer and more pastel - or shades of grey. Also I really like the clarity of the clouds in the background. It just seems to give the image more depth. Also I like the omission of the fence in the foreground in the first.

Please don't get me wrong, both are well-spotted and well-shot. But intuitively I prefer the first one....and this is my feeble attempt at unpacking just why :redface:

Thanks for sharing.

always good to get an analytic response to the whys of a liking ... if you know what I mean ... I've kept looking back at that one and keep feeling it's a bit coarse and lurid for my taste really, so I dug out the original jpeg as it came from the camera, and post that below for comparison ... as I suspected, I rather overprocessed from RAW in the first instance ... but that's not to take away at all from your response ... interesting to observe that I must have liked that treatment on the 26th of December last year though!

View attachment 32167

This is more subtle, but I still really, really truly do like your first. I realize that we all aren't looking at each other's pictures with the exact same color rendition, etc., due to our computer monitors, but your first version doesn't seem garish at all to my eyes. Instead it seems dramatic.

No matter what, the vale is a mesmerizing place. You are awfully fortunate to be living so close by, as I am sure you're well aware!

I started to pen a reply and then found that I was simply duplicating what BB said in half the words.

So I agree with BB, not garish to my eyes or monitor settings. Also I prefer this to the original JPEG....again such a thing of subjective taste.

Back