Leica The Vanishing Camera Shows

BrianS

Super Moderator
Apr 3, 2013
I went to a Photorama show today- been going for almost 30 years. Not many people came out, it as a nice day and some road construction near the show. There are not many camera shows left these days.

My favorite camera dealer was there today, waiting for me. Brought in 3 boxes of camera and lens cases, Leica, Canon, Nikon. Wanted to clear them out- I bought all of them. Also bought a Canon 5cm F2 and 50/1.9, each needed the button and spring for the infinity lock. Needed to be cleaned/lubed. the F1.9 looked like the aperture blades were all over the place, turned out to be the paint from them going all over the place. $50 each. Both cleaned up well, I had a spare infinity lock mechanism from a 50/1.5 Helical. The F2 is rare- easily worth the $300 that I spent today. The F1.9 is best left in extended position- the felt needs to be replaced. But it is clean, lubed, and no more paint flakes.

If you see a how in your area- attend them while you can.

JonVdG

Regular
Apr 29, 2016
New York, USA
Jon
I wish there were more of these. I have a handful of dealers and collectors online that I'm comfortable buying from sight-unseen, but I much prefer to inspect a piece of equipment in my own hands before making a purchase commitment. My city has a single used camera store, but his selection is limited and it's rare that he actually has something I need.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I used to buy and sell at camera shows. It was a huge sideline business for me.

There used to be wonderful ones at the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City. I knew lots of people, dozens of memorable characters. It's a terrible shame the web has killed these off.

Does anyone remember Marvin Tanner? He used to sell Leicas at shows and in NYC flea markets. I heard he moved to Australia years ago, but he passed away.

(this was way back in the 1970's to about the mid 1990's or so)

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom