The Weekly Challenge 3 - 8 Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some great pictures already, but thought I'd submit one anyway. :)

_DSF7882.jpg

Red_Fox.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Seems a pity to put my poor offering up here, but my dad (snkenai) talked me into giving this a go. :) Picture of a baby red fox I took a few months ago. I just put up a cropped version. Sorry, but I can't get the attached thumbnail to go away!

Attachments

• Red Fox.JPG
    Red Fox.JPG
    636.4 KB · Views: 869
are DSLRs banned from the WC - just asking - cannot remember - can I post one taken with my DSLR - say NO if it's not allowed - no worries on my part

just looked at the rules

quote - "Entries must be your own work, taken on a serious compact and fit the Theme selected" end quote

so my D300 is a no no

Reactions: BBW
but then the question becomes, what's a (serious) compact. Amin had this to say about it:

Given the name "Serious Compacts", there has always been a question as to the scope of this site. What exactly is a "compact"?

Answer: If a camera appeals to you because its size is smaller than some other type of kit, then it is "compact" enough for us.

Examples of gear which fit in here at SeriousCompacts.com:

All mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (EVIL, ILC, digital rangefinder, etc), including Sony NEX, Micro Four Thirds, Samsung NX, and Leica M
All large sensor, fixed-lens cameras, eg Leica X1 and Sigma DP1
All small sensor (less than 1" sensor) cameras, eg Panasonic LX3, Ricoh GRD, and Canon G11
Small DSLR cameras (you decide whether it is small enough to be called "small")

If you're wondering whether your camera qualifies for discussion here at Serious Compacts, it almost certainly does .

so you guys be the judge yourselves!

my D300 is bigger than small - so I reckon that it is out

(it's probably smaller than big - i.e. smaller than some of the FX Nikons and Canons)

The Pentax DSLRs are small

but when you stick most lens, (especially a tele lens), on any DSLR, it is big

I forgot, my entry here was with compact. But now only have DSLR (for now), so will have to remember. Sure hate to get left standing on the curb, because I decided to try something else, but rules is rules.
This is one of two forums I "hang out" on, and mostly this one. I'll try to get back in line soon as possible.:)

Steve, I can't pass judgement on whether or not your particular DSLR is too big... Please decide yourself if it's "small enough to be called small". Everyone here is on their own for these decisions and I have great faith you.(y)

Time is moving on and the boundaries between camera types are getting blurred. At some point I think there will need to be some serious thought given to the definition of serious compact for the purpose of this site. It's going to be fraught I think.

Well, even though I often post shots taken with a DSLR I now think I had better pull myself up, because regardless of what *I* think, a DSLR can't really be called a compact. So from now on, I'm only posting (for challenges and the like) shots taken with a compact. I'll still post dslr shots elsewhere.

The following is from the Canon G11 I no longer own

View attachment 48884
After Sundown by kyte50, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back