On a slight tangent, I believe it is understood that the forthcoming GH6 is going to leverage this same Sony chip, right? But the rumors around that camera still seem to be that it lacks PDAF. Since the PDAF sensors for the OM-1 would seem to be integrated into the sensor, why wouldn't the GH6 leverage them as well, if they're actually using the same sensor?
Did a little more research on this and it seems the rumors on the GH6 are coalescing around the idea that it will have a higher resolution (25-30 MP) sensor, so I guess it's not the same unit (if those rumors are correct).

I guess all will be revealed in less than a week.

- K

I was not really in the market for this camera and feel its a little overpriced.
But i was in the london camera exchange selling a couple of lenses from another system and got a chance to pick up an leica SL2 and was amazed at the size and clarity of the EVF compared to my EM 5 mk ii ,it really was beautiful.
So i wonder is the om-1 EVF as good as that?

I was not really in the market for this camera and feel its a little overpriced.
But i was in the london camera exchange selling a couple of lenses from another system and got a chance to pick up an leica SL2 and was amazed at the size and clarity of the EVF compared to my EM 5 mk ii ,it really was beautiful.
So i wonder is the om-1 EVF as good as that?
Based on the specs, it should be pretty similar. And if the OM-1 is overpriced, what does that say about the Leica at 3x the price.😎

- K

Those 4 sub-pixels effectively make this a 'sort of' 80 MPx sensor, regardless of the "damning with feint praise" from the likes of DPR and other known FTs / mFTs haters.
Surely you don't mean to say that the DPR staff are 'mFTs haters'?

Also I'm still unsure if the sub-pixel thing is for focusing only or if it contributes to resolution / DR / other image quality aspects. They claim a 2 stop noise improvement and a 1 stop DR improvement. The noise thing can't be only from the switch to a BSI sensor, that's typically more like a half stop improvement. Dual gain sensor design would help at higher ISO's but I haven't read anything about that. And a new processing engine should do very close to nothing for raw noise performance. The quad pixel design wouldn't do anything for noise except bounce a few more photons off the walls between the newly created subpixels. The only thing I can imagine providing 2 stop noise improvement is better demosaicing, but with DxO's magic noise-reducing demosaicing being available to all cameras, I don't see how the OM-1's new sensor technology would magically allow it to draw level with the larger sensor rivals.

As for DR, it depends on how the quad pixel design is used. If some of the subpixels are more sensitive than others, that could provide enough benefit in maintaining highlight detail to offset the additional read noise from the additional circuitry. Or perhaps just having more pixels will mean some pixels that would be blown will now have at least one subpixel not-blown, allowing the demosaicing process to better retain highlight detail, and that alone might offset the additional read noise. Overall I'm more confident in the 1 stop DR improvement than in the 2 stop noise improvement, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Surely you don't mean to say that the DPR staff are 'mFTs haters'?
They have been, up until quite recently. Askey and Joinson both did little to discourage it in either staff or forums.
Also I'm still unsure if the sub-pixel thing is for focusing only or if it contributes to resolution / DR / other image quality aspects.
Seems to me that it's some sort of sub-Bayer pixel binning, but I don't really know what it's doing, or how. Certainly some kind of step up from the normal sensors in every (?) other camera.
They claim a 2 stop noise improvement and a 1 stop DR improvement. The noise thing can't be only from the switch to a BSI sensor, that's typically more like a half stop improvement. Dual gain sensor design would help at higher ISO's but I haven't read anything about that. And a new processing engine should do very close to nothing for raw noise performance. The quad pixel design wouldn't do anything for noise except bounce a few more photons off the walls between the newly created subpixels.
I think that is a very gross over-simplification of what this technology is for. If it were only for that, why bother?
The only thing I can imagine providing 2 stop noise improvement is better demosaicing, but with DxO's magic noise-reducing demosaicing being available to all cameras, I don't see how the OM-1's new sensor technology would magically allow it to draw level with the larger sensor rivals.
That just could be what these sub-pixels are for, and also maybe in HHHR and HR modes. Maybe even the new AF??
As for DR, it depends on how the quad pixel design is used. If some of the subpixels are more sensitive than others, that could provide enough benefit in maintaining highlight detail to offset the additional read noise from the additional circuitry.
The circuitry is on the other side - BSI ...
Or perhaps just having more pixels will mean some pixels that would be blown will now have at least one subpixel not-blown, allowing the demosaicing process to better retain highlight detail, and that alone might offset the additional read noise. Overall I'm more confident in the 1 stop DR improvement than in the 2 stop noise improvement, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
I think that we will all just have to wait and see. However, the sample shots I've seen so far look extremely good, at an absolute level. Maybe Olympus/OMDS have stolen a march on larger sensors, big time? Who knows?

I guess that a bit more time will reveal all.

Worth remembering that no other manufacturer has ever made a superzoom even close to the 12-100 ...

They have been, up until quite recently. Askey and Joinson both did little to discourage it in either staff or forums.
I've veen reading DPR since 2009 or thereabout, and I've never noticed any bias towards or against any particular system. And with several DPR contributors recently publishing articles on how they used m/43 cameras for personal projects or holidays (including an article by Chris Niccolls specifically about using the EM1.3 for personal work and probably moving over to an OM1 in the upcoming year), I think describing them in the current tense as 'known mft haters' is without question incorrect.

And sorry to be confrontational, but in general, talk of "brand or system X or Y haters" comes across as fanboyism, and when I'm in the mood for that I can get a year's worth in a five minute visit to the DPR forums, which I'm usually pleased to avoid here.

Seems to me that it's some sort of sub-Bayer pixel binning, but I don't really know what it's doing, or how. Certainly some kind of step up from the normal sensors in every (?) other camera.
True, as far as I know the only subpixels on non-phome cameras have so far been the on-sensor phase detect pixels.
I think that is a very gross over-simplification of what this technology is for. If it were only for that, why bother?
I agree, with on-sensor phase detect pixels being about a decade old, I'm not sure how splitting all of the pixels 4 ways would be worth it just for the focus, especially as there're apparently "only" 1073 focus points (with 100% coverage, but still). Having said that, although the harm that increasing pixel count does to noise performance is often way overstated (on a full image basis), I'm not aware of any technology where it actually brings a noise benefit
The circuitry is on the other side - BSI ...
Yup, so the photons collected don't take nearly as big a hit from the larger pixel count as in a front side illuminated sensor. But it'll still increase read noise, where the readout electronics give off false signal polluting the signal from incoming photons. Although iirc, a stacked sensor design not only benefits readout speed but also readout noise (not sure so correct me if I'm wrong). So the readout noise penalty might be quite limited for this sensor.
I think that we will all just have to wait and see. However, the sample shots I've seen so far look extremely good, at an absolute level. Maybe Olympus/OMDS have stolen a march on larger sensors, big time? Who knows?
Since it's still a Sony design I'd be surprised if their very recent a1 - and the slightly more recent still Nikon Z9 - would be stops behind another new Sony sensor, efficiency wise. That'd be such a massive jump in image quality with 1 sensor, the likes of which we haven't seen since somewhere before 2010.
I guess that a bit more time will reveal all.
Yup, but regardless of how it performs compared to larger sensors, if it's at least a bit better than the E-M1.3, and the quality control backs up the ruggedness claims, it'll be high on my if-only-i-had-the-money list. I fall very squarely in the niche that OMDS appears to be targeting :)
Worth remembering that no other manufacturer has ever made a superzoom even close to the 12-100 ...
The Nikon 24-200 is apparently rather good too. Not quite as consistent as the 12-200 in terms of resolution (and no focus clutch, and not quite as well stabilized), but much better than most previous superzooms nonetheless. And with an equivalent aperture advantage throughout the focal range, and Nikon's excellent reputation for sealing (too bad they're so far too afraid to submit their products for IP rating), a Z6 plus 24-200 is, to me, the main competition to the E-M1.3 / OM-1 on top of that if-only-i-had-the-money-list.

[Edit] Mods, is it possible to change the title of thise thread to OM-1, or OMDS OM-1, or however the company that bought Olympus' camera division chooses to present itself?

Last edited:
Should I say something about that lever thing? Probably not, right? Sorry to have suggested it applied to all models in the M1/M5 series instead of only the latest versions btw!

Based on the specs, it should be pretty similar. And if the OM-1 is overpriced, what does that say about the Leica at 3x the price.😎

- K
I believe the panasonic S5 uses the same EVF as the SL2 but the new om-1 will be more expensive.
Maybe the price is unavoidable but i think it will damage its sales potential.
That said if the new EVF is as good as the above mentioned i would certainly try and buy the new camera.

Last edited:
Maybe the price is unavoidable but i think it will damage its sales potential.
Keep in mind all the manufacturers price their new offerings to suck as much cash as possible out of the early adopters. The price will slide a bit as soon as sales come up in Fall of this year and further down the road. I expect the OM-1 will do massive sales in the m43 community over the next couple of years. The E-M1 i, ii, iii and X EVF gripes seem to have been responded to, processing speed is a lot faster and the old autofocus/tracking issues are probably much better handled. It's more camera for the money, really.
I was one of the people that thought the 150-400 was too expensive; I now have one on order. :blush: Once people get over the sticker shock it's easier for them to convince themselves to get the new model

Keep in mind all the manufacturers price their new offerings to suck as much cash as possible out of the early adopters. The price will slide a bit as soon as sales come up in Fall of this year and further down the road. I expect the OM-1 will do massive sales in the m43 community over the next couple of years. The E-M1 i, ii, iii and X EVF gripes seem to have been responded to, processing speed is a lot faster and the old autofocus/tracking issues are probably much better handled. It's more camera for the money, really.
I was one of the people that thought the 150-400 was too expensive; I now have one on order. :blush: Once people get over the sticker shock it's easier for them to convince themselves to get the new model
ILC's as a whole are becoming a "nichey" market and these companies need to make money. Japanese companies seem willing to go for little profit or even just "breaking even" if they have other revenue streams and feel attached to making cameras. I strongly suspect that, in the case of the new OM-1, it was either this price or a less-well-spec'd camera or nothing at all. To use an extreme example (which I understand no one is saying), if they sold them for $500 each they might sell like hotcakes and the company would still not make enough money to continue given the size of the current market. That's what the E-PL8, 9, 10, etc. are for. They are the volume cameras (in Japan, anyway) that sell at a lower price. Of course, the current global economic situation during Covid Times has also driven prices up. If publicly-held American companies were making these cameras, they would have disappeared long ago. Just to note, I don't say that with pleasure or pride.

With regard to those quad pixels I saw one video where one of the people in the chat asked if the quad pixels were only under for focusing positions or all 20 million. The answer was under the focusing possitions.

Don't remember which one. The answer did not seem certain to me. Anyone got any further info on this?

With regard to those quad pixels I saw one video where one of the people in the chat asked if the quad pixels were only under for focusing positions or all 20 million. The answer was under the focusing possitions.

Don't remember which one. The answer did not seem certain to me. Anyone got any further info on this?
DPReview mentions it being 80mp with a 20mp color filter array:

Sensor and imaging pipeline
This is where the real fun begins. The OM-1 features a new 20MP stacked Live MOS sensor, but that number is a bit deceiving. It's an 80MP quad-pixel sensor covered by 20 million microlenses and a corresponding Bayer Filter array, giving it an effective resolution of 20MP. This means that each pixel comprises four photodiodes, each of which can be read out independently and used to drive the camera's AF system. Despite the increased photodiode resolution, OMDS claims a 2x improvement in scan speed relative to the older 20MP sensor we've seen on previous models, with a readout speed of ~8ms (or 1/125 sec).

The camera also gets the newest TruePic X image processing engine, which is supposed to deliver 3x faster processing than the previous TruePic IX processor, speeding up the camera and providing improved support for computational photography features.

Between the new sensor and processing engine, OMDS claims that it can deliver a two-stop improvement in noise performance and a one-stop improvement in dynamic range. We have to admit we're skeptical, but we will make sure to put this to the test for our full review of the camera.

This is where the real fun begins. The OM-1 features a new 20MP stacked Live MOS sensor, but that number is a bit deceiving. It's an 80MP quad-pixel sensor covered by 20 million microlenses and a corresponding Bayer Filter array, giving it an effective resolution of 20MP. This means that each pixel comprises four photodiodes, each of which can be read out independently and used to drive the camera's AF system. Despite the increased photodiode resolution, OMDS claims a 2x improvement in scan speed relative to the older 20MP sensor we've seen on previous models, with a readout speed of ~8ms (or 1/125 sec).

The camera also gets the newest TruePic X image processing engine, which is supposed to deliver 3x faster processing than the previous TruePic IX processor, speeding up the camera and providing improved support for computational photography features.

Between the new sensor and processing engine, OMDS claims that it can deliver a two-stop improvement in noise performance and a one-stop improvement in dynamic range. We have to admit we're skeptical, but we will make sure to put this to the test for our full review of the camera.

I saw that. A two-stop improvement in noise performance and a one-stop improvement in dynamic range. IF true, then this is an Olympus OMD with close to FF high iso behavior at 20 MP? I like to shoot in low light, and it was one of the the things that pushed me toward Fuji and even an A7RIII and away from Mu43. I'll be really curious to see how this works, but if true, it just became a Wow camera for me. Dang it.

And everyone (reviewers ... ) are playing down that 80 MPx (sub-pixels) thing.

I have a profound belief that none of them see the potential benefits and uses of such an extraordinary sensor design.

I see it in similar terms to a flat panel computer monitor. The monitor might 'only' be 2560x1440 pixels (in the case of my Dell 2516), but each of those pixels is made up of three sub-pixels plus a backlight. In the case of the monitor, those 3 sub-pixels mean the world ...

Lots of possibilities in this new sensor design.

And remember - Sony owns the foundry, the designer owns the design, the foundry does not (necessarily) own the design.

And everyone (reviewers ... ) are playing down that 80 MPx (sub-pixels) thing.

I have a profound belief that none of them see the potential benefits and uses of such an extraordinary sensor design.

I see it in similar terms to a flat panel computer monitor. The monitor might 'only' be 2560x1440 pixels (in the case of my Dell 2516), but each of those pixels is made up of three sub-pixels plus a backlight. In the case of the monitor, those 3 sub-pixels mean the world ...

Lots of possibilities in this new sensor design.

And remember - Sony owns the foundry, the designer owns the design, the foundry does not (necessarily) own the design.
The tests will shed light on this. I'm sure that DPR/Dxomark/AnybodyElse will make of point of seeing if this is real. If true, this is kinda what Mu43 needed, i.e., a breakthrough in sensor tech that fortuitously fixes problem that are a bigger problem for smaller sensor. Of course, FF will eventually get it too, but the specs of human eyes might ultimately even the playing field if they can get far enough along.

Last edited:
...And remember - Sony owns the foundry, the designer owns the design, the foundry does not (necessarily) own the design.
I'm not convinced that OMDS designed this sensor. Have you seen any details on that? My understanding was that Sony involvement is way more than as a chip fab.

I believe that in the case of the Z9 sensor I read that Sony owns the sensor design and merely licensed it to Nikon to use. Do we know that Sony and OMDS don't have a similar agreement?

- K

Back