Fuji The X-Pro1, Still Perfectly Valid!

Adam Bonn

Top Veteran
Name
Adam Bonn
If anyone is interested...

I'm writing about my lust/hate/love affair with the X-Pro1 on my blog!

I'm serialising the story (part two is due tomorrow!)

My Love Affair with the Fujifilm X-Pro1

As well as this story, there's many shots taken with the X-Pro1 and some with the XT1.

Mods, apologies if this slightly self promoting post is against any rules, but in my defence, please note that my blog features NO donate links, or buy prints links or buy from advertising partners links! It's simply a labour of love (a bit like using the X-Pro1 can be!! :D) that the Fuji X community may find interesting.

I picked up a brand new X-Pro1+18, 27mm and Fuji case for £600 before Christmas as many retailers were trying clear stock.
I have put 3.50 firmware on it and it performs really well (a tad better than even my X100s) and is a perfect camera for street/portrait/landscape.
I am so pleased with the form factor, IQ and speed that I have traded in all my little used Micro4/3 kit that has allowed me to pay up front for a new X-Pro2, grip, case, spare battery and 2 x 290mbs cards so now just have to sit back and await delivery.
I had been thinking about consolidation for a while so now have the Fuji kit and for airshows/car racing/sport I have the superfast Nikon D810 kit so a balance of kits for all eventualities.

Just did it, bought the X-Pro1 with the 2.0 18mm and the 2.8 27mm. Was looking for this a long time and found an offer I could not refuse. So now I have to found out if this is really what I want . . .

Just did it, bought the X-Pro1 with the 2.0 18mm and the 2.8 27mm. Was looking for this a long time and found an offer I could not refuse. So now I have to found out if this is really what I want . . .
Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Interesting article, will try it. But the autofocus of the X-Pro1 ain't that bad in my opinion. I have an Olympus E-P2 and I've the feeling that the X-Pro 1 is quicker, (no tests, just a feeling). I use a Panasonic GM5 and it's quicker, for sure ( no tests, just a feeling). I do mostly street photography and they all are fast enough for me. Even at the carnaval where people were dancing and jumping the E-P2 did the job, not as easy as the GM5 but it was oké.
I updated my X-Pro 1( it's now version 3.50) and noticed a difference (faster) in AF. But it will take some time to get used to the X-Pro 1 and than I hope I will feel as comfortable as with my old E-P2.
So far I really enjoy exploring the Fuji X-Pro1 and articles like yours are a great help!

As I am going fully retired on June 1st it is highly doubtful I will be purchasing an X Pro2 in the near future. However, rediscovering my X Pro1 is something I am very much looking forward to doing. Still a valid image making tool? You bet. ;-)
. . . David

It's Sunday! The first day of spring - the dawn of the 2016 MotoGP/F1 motosports championships. (don't tell me the result, I've been busy writing this!!)

But of course, it's also time for my weekly X-Pro1 story update!!

The X-Pro1: Sycophants Please Step Outside…

Sycophants Please Step Outside

Just because someone really likes something, doesn't actually make it good... But what ultimately is the most important USP? (Unique Selling Point)

Still trying to get used to my Pro-1

the EV dial is so easy to rotate that checking it’s where you left it (it won’t be) quickly becomes second nature. . .

so true in my case, luckily the Pro1 seems to be very forgiving . . .

Interesting article, never exactly knew what that feature was for, or what it could do for my photo's. Will read it a few more times as English is not my native language and will try also the different settings as I'm - thanks to your articles - searching for the perfect SOOC.
BTW I'm getting more and more convinced that buying the X-pro1 was a good decision.

Interesting article, never exactly knew what that feature was for, or what it could do for my photo's. Will read it a few more times as English is not my native language and will try also the different settings as I'm - thanks to your articles - searching for the perfect SOOC.
BTW I'm getting more and more convinced that buying the X-pro1 was a good decision.

Thank you very much.

I think I wrote last week's article a little bit badly though, as a few people have said that I advocate SOOC Jpegs

I mean I do, but what I most advocate, is to shoot BOTH raw and jpeg

If someone is a 100% SOOC Jpeg, then don't let the raw snobs put you off, but shooting RAW + Jpeg gives us the greatest number of options.

The camera has an internel raw convertor, so if you shoot raw, you can change all the jpeg options (except DR) after your shot and try out different things, like film modes and tone curve etc

Teaser: next week I'll be covering what the highlight, shadow tone curves etc do

I don't regret getting my X-Pro1 at all, I use it way more than my XT1, despite the XT having many more features etc

Back