Fuji The X10 has landed

I like my XZ-1 but I haven't been this engaged in a compact camera since I sold my D-lux 4. I've been hunting for the perfect take anywhere camera ever since. The X-10 may be too quirky to be objectively perfect, but it's my kind of quirky, and it is the closest thing I've used to the ideal I've had in mind for this type of camera.

I agree, it's certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I am finding that it really works for me.

Finally some tests with the X10

I finally have some time to really test the camera out. I'm impressed with the pro-low light setting in the Advanced mode. It's auto everything, and takes three rapid exposures and combines them, and really does reduce noise significantly. I further reduced chroma noise (100%) in Lightroom, then tweaked the picture in Photoshop. but that's my normal way of working, so it does tell me what I can expect to get out of the camera.

Here's the same image straight out of the camera jpeg:

Here's a 100% crop from my post processed version of the jpeg -- you only get a 6MP jpeg on this setting, but the technology gives you an awfully good file.

Two at iso 200 DR 200

For full resolution shooting outside without having too think too much about changing modes, I figure iso 200 with DR at either 200 or auto, should work fine. There are not too many situations where one will need the 400% DR, but auto mode would give it. Both were processed from raw files into 16 bit tiffs and the jpegs taken from there. It's how I work when I want to extract the most from a file, or when I am going to make a print of it. In the latter case I leave it as a tiff of course.

Well, I have to say that we're not getting results from RAW files like that here in Philly. I've tried everything and can't find my way with the raw files.
The jpegs are great in either L or M but that's it.
If you don't mind....what are ya doing.....?
I'm on LR4 and or PS6 etc.....
don

Not doing too much. LR4.3 and I import the files, apply a little bit of noise reduction in LR the RAW files clean up really well and lose very little sharpness) and then I move them out to Silver Efex Pro 2 for processing to BW. Like so...

8320286844_a291560c60_b.jpg

Waiting Game by dixeyk, on Flickr

Auto1600
NR -1
DR Auto
Film Simulation: Velvia

3 at 100 iso and DR 100%

I'm using LR 4.3 and Photoshop 7 (wish I could get a later version, but it does what I need it to do). The following three images were shot raw at iso 100, DR100, imported into Lightroom with a medium contrast curve and developed from there. I tweaked color and contrast and sharpening. I think I raised the sharpening to 40% but lower the strength from 1 to .8 in order to then apply about 30% luminance noise reduction. I often like crunchier looking images and so don't use the luminance slider very often, but I want a smoother look on the lock and light in this instance. Then into Photoshop for fine tuning, including almost always a very slight high pass sharpening, usually at .5 to 1. I'm pretty impressed with the possibilities from this "small sensor" camera, once again proving that sensor size is only one of many variables, important but not enough in itself to judge a camera from its specs as I see done in so many forums - which (DPReview) shall remain nameless. Oops! Clicking on the image will let you see much larger versions at SmugMug.

If the colors on these are cold and weird, please let me know. I edited them on my laptop, which always matched my desktop pretty closely, but this time they seem cold on the desktop monitor, which, granted, is on its way out.

All I can say is... I'm proud to know you and Kevin as the guys who can get a raw file to work in LR4. I can't give up on the camera because it was given to me by a fellow Nam Vet. I have given up on Raw because I can't get the files to do what they are supposed to do. I think Roger gave me the camera to get my head crazy.

Youse both speak like it was just second nature to process raw but believe me...it surely ain't. Check out DaPhotoRumble forum and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the info and responses....
don

All I can say is... I'm proud to know you and Kevin as the guys who can get a raw file to work in LR4. I can't give up on the camera because it was given to me by a fellow Nam Vet. I have given up on Raw because I can't get the files to do what they are supposed to do. I think Roger gave me the camera to get my head crazy.

Youse both speak like it was just second nature to process raw but believe me...it surely ain't. Check out DaPhotoRumble forum and you'll see what I mean.

don

I'm pretty much a neophyte when it comes to using RAW. I do most of the heavy lifting in Silver Efex Pro for my BW. Let me go back and look at the process and see if there is something I'm forgetting. Do you import directly into LR? I use a Mac an import into a folder I have setup using Image Capture then synchronize the folder in LR. Not that I think that would make a difference. What is it about the RAW that you are using that doesn't work?

What version of ACR are you running?

don

Well I spent 30 years earning my daily bread in conventional darkrooms in custom photo labs, so I actually still feel like I'm floundering a little in the digital world. Many reviews suggest that it's not worth shooting full resolution raw files on the X10 because the jpegs are so good. I agree that the jpegs are wonderful, and for the little bit extra I can squeeze out of a raw file with this camera, maybe I'm wasting my time. But I'm a photo control freak, so it's time spent doing something I enjoy.

Here's a shot, already included above, but in a black and white version(which is how I imagined it) made with B&W Effects, which I just now downloaded and installed.

Two More X10 conversions from BW Effects

I stumbled across this program looking for a cheaper alternative to Silver Efex, which I know is good, but which after my recent gear acquisition indulgences, I cannot afford. This seems like a pretty decent program, although I've just begun to explore it. Although I printed on Ilford's later, silver deprived version of Galerie, with the brighter and whiter base, my ideal paper has always been the older Galerie with the creamy base, selenium toned for permanence and d-max. Using the silver and paper color sliders on this software, I might just yet get to match it.

Yes, jpeg is great, but your puppy is even greater. Great shot of a venerable pooch.

The jpegs out of this camera are sublime. I would not hesitate in a situation where I had no time to worry about settings to put it on EXR auto and use exposure compensation for any tweaks. The things I shot that way surprised me by their consistent high quality.

Yes, jpeg is great, but your puppy is even greater. Great shot of a venerable pooch.

The jpegs out of this camera are sublime. I would not hesitate in a situation where I had no time to worry about setting to put it on EXR auto and use exposure compensation for any tweaks. The things I shot that way surprised me by their consistent high quality.

Yep...I'm finding both JPEG and RAW are equally useful. I have to play with EXR next.

8321152982_2518c50516_b.jpg

Sweater by dixeyk, on Flickr

The X10 and B&W Effects

I set out to compare the X-10 to the E-P2 with the original 14-42mm kit lens, much maligned now but considered pretty good when it came out. I did not get anything decent that I could post as samples. Jpeg to jpeg they seem close, and I could not get a reasonable raw conversion from the X10 on the file I wanted to use. So -- no conclusive results on that score.

I did get an image I liked outside one of the Goodwill stores where I was shopping for records (like in vinyl LP 33 1/3 rpm records). The black and white conversion was done in Topaz B&W Effects and then tweaked in Photoshop.

That's a great price Luke.
I updated the firmware in my son's x10 over the weekend and had a chance to shoot with it a bit.
Fun camera and great images.
Also very tempted.

Back