The X100 has me shopping for old Minoltas

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
Quick background: In first grade I spent 5 of my first allowance dollars at a neighbor's yard sale on a Kodak 110 format camera. I shot rolls of my yard, field trips, the last day of second grade, that sort of thing. In high school (1990) my mom gave me her mid-80's Minolta X-370 slr so I could use it in graphic arts class. She had the stock rokkor 50mm 1.4 lens and a standardish 70-210mm zoom, plus a Sunpak flash. We had a dark room at school and I got all the b+w film I wanted for free, so I began shooting for class, a roll a week at least, then color stuff on my own dime. Never anything serious, and with very little instruction, but I pretty much always had a roll loaded and I still have some of those prints. In college I shot friends' bands at clubs for fun, shot rolls around town, visitng friends and family, etc. I lost that particular X-370 sadly in a bad move-out deal, but I quickly bought another one on Ebay, this in aabout 1999. I took that second one to New Zealand along with a 4mp digital something er other, but Delta lost the second Minolta and alllllll my rolls of film along with everything else in my hiking pack on the flight home... unhappiness ensued. All total I probably shot 150-200 rolls of 35mm I guess, over ten years, including probably 20 rolls of black and white and at least 20 of 1600/3200 ISO fuji stuff.

So it came to pass that I transitioned fully from 35mm to digital. I got slightly better compacts every few years as each one wore out, and I never waded back into the world of film. Then my wife picked out the Fuji X100, and I’ve slowly started having dreams of rangefinders… real ones. I spotted a Minolta AL-F on craigslist and was stunned at how beautiful it is. I’ve ready everything I can find about them, and the Canonets and Konicas, and I still want the AL-F even though the Canonet sounds slightly more capable. And so I now find myself patrolling listings for that model and the minolta SRT series – 101’s or ideally 201’s, with the goal being (and here I welcome comments and critiques):

- The rangefinder loaded with good quality 400 b+w most of the time
- The SLR being loaded with some sort of good color film most of the time, and lenses available would have to include something short & fast, something around 50mm, and at least an 85mm for portraits etc.
Then I want a nice bag to toss them both into, and I have no idea what sort of events will warrant the “old” stuff but I assume inspiration will strike.

My first SLR in 1966 was a used Minolta SR1 as I couldn't afford the better SR7 ; this was at a time when Pentax ruled the SLR World just as Canon/Nikon does today.
The advantage of the Minolta range was the highly regarded Rokkor lenses and bayonet mount although I've no idea how they would compare to modern lenses.
Good luck with your quest.

It looks a lot like the 70's/80's rokkor MD glass I knew and loved will also fit onto the SRT 201... that's nice if true. There are ton of 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 lenses out there cheap.

My Minolta Kit. Love it. Hope you find the camera/lenses you want!

View attachment 59285
L to R: Minolta 35 Model II Rangefinder (C.K.S.) [My father's bought in Korea during Korean War] 4,5cm Super Rokkor Lens [have 2 actually]
11,0cm Tele Rokker Lens, 13,5cm Tele Rokker Lens, 8,5cm Super Rokkor Lens, Hood, corresponding Finders & Cases
Minolta 35 Model II Rangefinder (Chiyoda Kogaku) Back-up Body, Skink Pinhole Pancake Full Kit LTM

:dance4:

Just scored an XD-11 in perfect shape with a rokkor 50mm 1.7 and what looks like a 70-210 zoom plus bag and filters from a guy for $50. Picking it up tomorrow.

Just scored an XD-11 in perfect shape with a rokkor 50mm 1.7 and what looks like a 70-210 zoom plus bag and filters from a guy for $50. Picking it up tomorrow.

Congrats! Can't wait to see what you can do with it!

That all looks facinating / terrifying.

It's manual, steep learning curve but it feels most excellent in hand and better yet my older eyes can see through the rangefinder well.

... And so I now find myself patrolling listings for that model and the minolta SRT series – 101’s or ideally 201’s, with the goal being (and here I welcome comments and critiques):

- The rangefinder loaded with good quality 400 b+w most of the time
- The SLR being loaded with some sort of good color film most of the time, and lenses available would have to include something short & fast, something around 50mm, and at least an 85mm for portraits etc.
Then I want a nice bag to toss them both into, and I have no idea what sort of events will warrant the “old” stuff but I assume inspiration will strike.

I'd sell you my SRT303b + 50mm f/1.4 and 200mm f/3.5 if it were not for the fact that each item weighs a TON and shipping from here to there would be absolutely prohibitive. And I cant seem to acquire a battery for the light meter anymore. (just kidding, I am not selling because I use the lenses on my K-5 and the body isnt in great shape. the mirror has deteriorated and the shutter release is dodgy.)

Beautiful! I really hope the AL-F owner finds it in his packed boxes post-move and emails me back. $20 and it looks very clean, including the old leather case.

Well, I picked up the XD-11 bundle from a guy on craigslist yesterday. He didn't want me to know where he lived so this all happened in a huge, empty movie theater parking lot. His dad died, owned the camera and lenses and filters and such, and they sold it all to me for $50. Lenses are the usual Rokkor 50mm 1.7 and a Vivitar 70-210 macro focusing zoom. Filters are too numerous to list. Oh and there's a minolta auto 200 flash.

The good news: The shutter fires, and film advances smoothly. That's about it for the good news.

The bad news: Battery is dead (I hope that's why no metering works, at least), both lenses have fungus, inside of the camera has little white fungus dots, some kind of knob on the front of the body appears to have broken off, the previous owner carved his social security number into the body AND both lenses (it was a different era)...

Please help convice me I didn't waste $50. The interior white spots wipe off (you can see the smear from my finger), and the shutter sounds great. Maybe with a cleaning and a fresh battery and some lenses...?

8026562734_385efcb0b3_b.jpg

DSCF8956 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

8026562586_76a0d8d2ea_b.jpg

DSCF8958 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Looking through the 50mm lens:
8026562056_5e6e8378fc_b.jpg

DSCF8967 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

8026561913_bedda30255_b.jpg

DSCF8970 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Zoom fungus. 50mm's growth looks almost identical.
8026560686_74627d1a31_b.jpg

DSCF8973 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

I am thinking the interior white spots are condensation/sweat. You should be able to clean the camera up. As for the battery, get another and see. I got a Yashica Electro GSN for 7$ at an estate sale. I had to put 15$ into it because after putting a battery in it didn't meter, probably an age thing but still wasn't a bad investment. As for the lenses I am really picky about mine, that being said I recently messed one up after I have cleaned a lot of lenses so I would suggest with these you have them pro cleaned. Given what you paid, investing a little more shouldn't be a problem as far as cost vs. worth. Don't mourn just yet :)

Well, I replaced the batteries with two normal "357" 1.5V cells. Now when I press the shutter halfway down, the led's inside light up vertically like a runway landing strip for a plane, ending in a flashing UP arrow at the top. In all modes, I cannot get the shutter speed to vary - presumably from the default 125 that it will do with no battery.

I think I give up, unless someone knows what this is.

My Minolta Kit. Love it. Hope you find the camera/lenses you want!

View attachment 59414
L to R: Minolta 35 Model II Rangefinder (C.K.S.) [My father's bought in Korea during Korean War] 4,5cm Super Rokkor Lens [have 2 actually]
11,0cm Tele Rokker Lens, 13,5cm Tele Rokker Lens, 8,5cm Super Rokkor Lens, Hood, corresponding Finders & Cases
Minolta 35 Model II Rangefinder (Chiyoda Kogaku) Back-up Body, Skink Pinhole Pancake Full Kit LTM

:dance4:

Wow. Beautiful.

Back