Fuji the X100 lens trim ring

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
I re-got a lovely X100 yesterday (not the first time I regretted selling a camera, and likely not the last). It came with a JJC Lens hood and filter thread adapter attached. And while it's nice to have that, I run my X100 commando style with nothing in front of that beautiful lens. So I took it off and went to look for the original lens trim ring, but alas it is gone. I contacted the seller and asked them to look around, but they no longer have it (or maybe never did if they bought it second hand). It's an easy part to misplace. And it's not a big deal.

But I figured I'd look around to see how much a replacement would cost, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Maybe it's called something else. Or maybe you've already sold you X100 and found that you still have this little threaded metal ring and can't remember what it goes with......

Let me know if you have any ideas where I can get one, although if it's priced like a Fuji accessory, I'll likely skip it anyways.

You did seem rather urgent to sell like maybe you would change your mind. I'm glad you got another since you were so happy with it. Good luck with the ring, did you try ebay yet?

I did the same as you when I bought mine second hand. Took the filter off and put the cover ring back on. Only way to go :)

Hope you find one. As mentioned, eBay may be a good place to look???

Good for you Luke on re-getting the X100....I got the impression it was a difficult parting of ways to begin with. Whilst you're busy re-getting....I'm not feeling the love and am considering un-getting mine. I just don't GET it....I don't mind the relative slowness of it, after all, if I want lightning fast response I just power-up the EM5 and PL25. I'm just not getting the way the X100 exposes images and what I see first in the OVF, then when chimping on the LCD and finally on my screen at home, I just don't understand the relationship here and what I create I feel is just purely guesswork.

At the moment it's feeling like an arranged marriage, perhaps with time love will develop....right now though, as stunningly gorgeous as she is to look at, I think to myself...Who ARE you ?

Joe, are you saying that your exposures seem off?

I'd love to help in any way I can. But that's mainly because I love it so much, I can't understand why everyone else doesn't feel the same. I assume it comes down to not understanding how the camera works and why.

I see the images you get out of your other cameras, so it's not a lack of skill or vision.

Have you used an optical viewfinder before? It's definitely a different beast....especially with the electronic info overlaid. Sometimes it's even difficult to remember which finder you're looking "through". But when you're using the optical viewfinder, one needs to remember that exposure is NOT being shown in ANY way. So you need to understand your scene and HOW the camera is metering.

I wouldn't recommend spot metering with the optical viewfinder since parallax error may mean that what you THINK is your focal point (and metering point in the case of spot metering) may actually not be it at all.

Obviously everyone reacts to cameras differently and finds affinity with whatever one "suits" them best. But the shots I get from this camera seem so much better to me than whatever else I shoot that I have to assume that part of it is the camera. And I think it deserves a fair shake.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

I'm just not getting the way the X100 exposes images and what I see first in the OVF, then when chimping on the LCD and finally on my screen at home, I just don't understand the relationship here and what I create I feel is just purely guesswork.

I just spent the morning looking through the OVF of a genuine, old skool DSLR, and it just felt strange losing the real-time exposure feedback you get from an electronic screen or EVF. I was reminded of how often I used to shoot the same scene twice at a different exposure because I wasn't happy with the first.

I just spent the morning looking through the OVF of a genuine, old skool DSLR, and it just felt strange losing the real-time exposure feedback you get from an electronic screen or EVF. I was reminded of how often I used to shoot the same scene twice at a different exposure because I wasn't happy with the first.

I think many who are trying out the OVF experience are in the same boat. It's just a different learning curve. And frankly, I save some really horrible exposures in post. 2 stops with this camera is no big deal....the files are VERY forgiving. Also, with the DR expanding feature, you can be off regularly and most people won't notice as it'll pull shadows or highlights.

Again, it just takes some time to learn HOW the camera works.

Cheers Luke, I just may hit you up with a few questions every so often when I can't find something that makes sense elsewhere.

Nic....yeah that's the thing that's killing me, no quick feedback via an EVF. Regardless of which EVF I use I find that after a while I become quite accurate in my assessment of how it renders the 'truth' so to speak, with the OVF I'm not getting that and it'll take some getting used to.

I'll take a bit of time and effort no doubt.

The X100 is an experiment I guess, and primarily regarding the OVF.
I tried the EVF and didn't think much of it, the OVF though in good to average light is a joy to look through...I just don't know if it is something I will be able to (or want to) settle on longer term, I suspect that for better or worse, I'm an EVF kinda guy.

I'm having a total freakin' ball with this photography condition I have and at the VERY least I feel like I need to try a Fuji. I'm not trying to find a way out of m43, hell no...I'm just curious why Fuji has been floating so many people's boats, the X-series images of course speak for themselves and there was never any doubt in the IQ department, certainly more than 'good enough'. It's the other things.

Thing is, even after a very short period of time with it I can see that on the few occasions I have nailed an exposure that the file produced is really very nice indeed, excellent in fact and for those that love the way the camera thinks and works, well then they are truly blessed with a wonderful machine....I suspect though that if I am to ever really feel the love back from a Fuji, it'll be something like the evf orientated X-E1 or one of its future iterations

Sorry Luke for kinda hijacking this thread btw.

Back