Fuji The XE1 and adapted lenses

kevistopheles

Top Veteran
As a long time adapted lens shooter I was initially very disappointed to try and use my collection of adapted lenses with my XE1. After a lot of trial and error and many folks suggesting I pick up a native Fuji lens to see how good Fuji cameras can be, I found a nice used XF18-55. The zoom lens was nice but I really prefer primes so I sold it and picked up an XF35. Of course the 35 is an incredible lens and it really does complete the XE1 in a way that the adapted lenses never could. Today I broke out a Hexanon 40 and thought I would give it another go.

18691856855_48d36b604c_b.jpg

Titania
by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I'm reasonably happy with the image but using the Hex 40 on the XE1 was not at all fun. I had really hoped that as I got more comfortable with the camera it would be more fun using adapted glass (which I really prefer) but it's not to be. Kinda disappointing.

"fun" and using vintage glass on (less than state-of-the-art) Fuji bodies is not something I hear about. Doable.....yes. But fun.....not so much.

Pretty much. It was a blast using adapted lenses on my Sony. So much so that I ditched all my adapted lenses. I have a cool collection of old Minoltas and really enjoyed using them. I don't think I have ever had so much fun shooting digital. I really miss it.

Could you elaborate on what's different between shooting with adapted lenses on the Sony and the Fuji? Does the Sony handle adapted lenses differently, or is it something else?

First off I need to emphasize that I have some very specific needs when it comes to this kind of thing. For instance I have a visual problem that makes it extraordinarily difficult to rely on an EVF for focusing. I'm sure under different circumstances this wouldn't be an issue for me. So here goes...

For me it centers around two things, focus peaking and the LCD.

First off focus peaking on the Fuji cameras is a lot less distinct than on the Sony cameras. It's a different approach and it can be argued that the Fuji is a bit finer than the Sony approach. It's also less visible. In practice, Sony's more coarse but VERY visible approach to focus peaking is easier to master and I am able to focus very quickly and get a high percentage of in-focus images. Sony's focus peaking even at the lowest setting is more visible than the Fuji's at their highest setting. It comes in three colors (red, white and yellow).

Next, I find that focusing legacy lenses (which is often lager and heavier native glass) benefits from shooting at chest or waist level. it improves stability. All Sony bodies have a gorgeous flip down LCD. MY favorite feature of that LCD however is a "Sunny Weather" setting that boosts the gain and makes it visible in all but direct sunlight. I do believe some of the newer Fuji bodies may have this now.

Compared this to my XE1 where the focus peaking is not very distinct, no flip down screen and a rather laggy EVF. OF course newer models like the XE2 have a significantly improved EVF and added red focus peaking. The XT1 has a huge and gorgeous EVF and flip down screen but the focus peaking is still not anywhere as pronounced as the Sony. That's not to say that I can't use adapted lenses on the XE1 (clearly I can) but it takes a good deal more effort. I recently borrowed a Sony a6000 from a friend and I was able to throw on any lens walk out the door and shoot quickly and get a high percentages of in-focus images.

For whatever reason making the Sony work well with adapted lenses was something their engineers put a good deal of effort into and it shows. If I was looking to shoot native lenses they certainly wouldn't be my first choice but for folks that like to go old school like me they are worth a look.

I am not saying that I think Sony is better than Fuji. I actually prefer the images the Fuji produces. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. It's up to each of us to figure out what is important to us choice the tool that best suits our needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. The red focus peaking on the X-E2 is indeed a step up, but now I've seen a video on YouTube showing Sony's focus peaking and I totally see what you mean.

It really is a dramatic difference. IMHO it takes some time to learn what is actually in focus withteh Sony as it is so broad but once you do you can nail focus really quickly. I shot a NEX for 4 years without any native lenses and didn't miss them at all. That includes getting shots of my young (always moving) son.

18797916596_958d6fc10b_b.jpg

cleared to land TAKE 2
by kevin dixey, on Flickr

Take this image as an example (shot with an Olympus Om 28/3.5). I managed to get it with my XE1 but it took about twelve shots to get it in focus and the bug was just dumb luck. I did the same shot with the Sony and nailed focus on the second shot. At least for my particular situation it suits my needs better.

I haven't had my X-E2 for very long so I haven't really gotten the hang of the focus peaking yet. In many situations it doesn't seem to work, and in other situations I'm not sure what it's telling me. I've had pictures come out completely out of focus when I'm sure that the subject had red contours in the EVF. I don't think it's a fault in the focus peaking, all I'm saying is that I think I have some work to do to learn what it's telling me. I've started to take a couple of extra shots with slightly different focus just to make sure.

I'm kind of happy I haven't had any hands on experience with the Sony focus peaking so that I can properly enjoy how much easier it is to use my old OM lenses now than it was ten years ago.

I haven't had my X-E2 for very long so I haven't really gotten the hang of the focus peaking yet. In many situations it doesn't seem to work, and in other situations I'm not sure what it's telling me. I've had pictures come out completely out of focus when I'm sure that the subject had red contours in the EVF. I don't think it's a fault in the focus peaking, all I'm saying is that I think I have some work to do to learn what it's telling me. I've started to take a couple of extra shots with slightly different focus just to make sure.

I'm kind of happy I haven't had any hands on experience with the Sony focus peaking so that I can properly enjoy how much easier it is to use my old OM lenses now than it was ten years ago.

Well the Fuji and Sony approach to peaking is very different. I found that I simply could not get my OM24/2.8 to focus right using the XE1. I have also found that FP on the XE1 is really particular to the lens. Some like my Konica 40/1.8 peak pretty well and some like my OM 50/1.4 not so much. The Sony seems to be a lot more forgiving about that. That said, I have found focus peaking on either does require learning to read it right in order for it to me most effective.

I found that I simply could not get my OM24/2.8 to focus right using the XE1. I have also found that FP on the XE1 is really particular to the lens.

That could explain why I'm getting so different results with different lenses. I've got four old OM lenses, the 35/2, 50/1.8 MC, 85/2 and 135/3.5. The 35 I get good results with most of the time, the 50 is utter rubbish (something I never saw back when), the 85 doesn't seem to play very well with the focus peaking, but otherwise works pretty well, and the 135 I haven't tried so much. It's really fun to be able to use them. I got the XF 35 too, which is absolutely gorgeous, but it means I unfortunately don't use the OM 35 very much. When I've been out I've had the XF 35 and the OM 85 with me, mostly.

I got really inspired when I got the X-E2 and realized that I could use old lenses, so after reading up a lot on these forums and other sites I tried my luck on Ebay and some Swedish forums, and accidentally bought a few too many lenses... the last few days I've run home from work to see if I've gotten a package, but shipping takes much more time than I'd like.

I'm really grateful to you and the other guys for posting so many pictures and reviewing lenses. I hope to reciprocate soon.

Back