Fuji There really is a Blue Fuji

Alas, Fuji has sold out... well, maybe not but when they start making the cameras in colors it begins to make one wonder about their seriousness in certain ways. I think I'll reserve judgement though until the A1 get's reviewed and we see what sort of camera it really is.

Actually, if you think about it, an EXR 24mp sensor (if there were one) would provide 12mp images of very high quality under adverse condtions and let one print large still. That might be attractive but I don't think that kind of photographer is who this camera is aimed at.

I hope Fuji doesn't overextend itself and take away resources from its high end projects to focus on more entry level mass appeal endeavors. I want to see a XPro2!! Or at least a XE2.

Of course! Isn't Fuji famous for their blues? (y)

To wit (from Steve Huff's site):

View attachment 2439

:happy-084:

Attachments

• SteveHuff Screen Shot.jpg
    SteveHuff Screen Shot.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 399
the older i get, i think photography, and the world in general, would be better off if humans were a little less doctrinaire in their thinking. i have a 100 year anniversary edition bessa t film camera in--egads, dont say it--royal blue! oh no! film be damned! voigtlander sold out! i'm selling my favorite cv 21/4! i personally am not 'serious' about photography! (well sometimes, yeah, i'm not). truth is, i like being a tad 'off'. i dont believe it detracts from my sense of purpose or goal orientation, or nothin'. certainly doesnt detract from the joy i get from usin' it. i,m just happy ive got a blue film cam that takes my lovely leica rf lenses, which unfortunately lacked the color-vision thing.

all sad in jest! well, in good spirit at least...

Had some fun with my new X-E1 tonight. I think they could make it in polka-dot and I'd still like it.

But it's not doctrinaire thinking I'm talking about: it's the marketing department that feels they need to make the cameras more fun looking to pump up sales. That almost always is followed by "let's make it cheaper so we can make higher profits" because "people will buy our brand".

I don't see the sudden emergence of colors in a camera design as a sign of a healthy camera company.

John, I don't think this is the beginning of the end. The reality of the situation is that some parts of the world want colorful cameras. They don't see them as less serious than black cameras. I would go so far as to say that even if a camera had all the right features for a buyer, but only came in black, there would be many that wouldn't buy it. Obviously Pentax has taken this to the extreme.....over 120 (!) color combinations for their latest.... Pentax brings a splash of personalized color to the K-50 DSLR - Images

a blue or red entry level model may rope in buyers who would normally be shooting with a hello kitty Lomo camera instead. The more the merrier. And of course, black is still available.

John, I don't think this is the beginning of the end. The reality of the situation is that some parts of the world want colorful cameras. They don't see them as less serious than black cameras. I would go so far as to say that even if a camera had all the right features for a buyer, but only came in black, there would be many that wouldn't buy it. Obviously Pentax has taken this to the extreme.....over 120 (!) color combinations for their latest.... Pentax brings a splash of personalized color to the K-50 DSLR - Images

a blue or red entry level model may rope in buyers who would normally be shooting with a hello kitty Lomo camera instead. The more the merrier. And of course, black is still available.

And how is that working for Pentax?

Again, if it's driven by DEMAND, that's fine -- but I'm not convinced it is. I think it's panic in levels of the company that don't design the cameras. "We've got to do SOMETHING to get/increase profits!"

If it's the demand driven, it's healthy. If it's management driven, it's not.

I assume it's working out great for Ricoh PENTAX, since this is the third camera they are doing it for.....actually I think it's the fourth. K-x, then K-r, then K-30 and now K-50. I'm sure if they weren't selling well that the bean counters would have told them to just make black ones.

Rico has been talking about this camera for a while...generally speaking. It sounds as though it could be a very interesting camera to me, so I'll be waiting some real hard info on it and see if they've improved a few things since the X-M1. Time will tell!

Thanks for the scoop, Luke!

Choice is a great thing, so I can't say what's bad about offering the X-M1 in three colors and the X-A1 in even more variants. As long as the classic black and black/silver versions are still available (they are), everybody should be happy.

I keep thinking I hear trumpets and drum rolls...on this new little X.

One of the things I'm interested in is how the body compares to the X-M1. Will it be smaller, will it have the same tilt screen, the same wifi or will they have tweaked a few things...

What I really want is a fantasy camera right now - this sensor with a really great zoom that collapses into a very small body.:cloud-9-039:

Aren't you the presumptuous one? :cool:

There has long been a longing (how redundant is that) for the excellent look of classic cameras. I've never had one of my photography friends though say, "I wish that came in fruity colors!". Some may want that, but pent up demand... Don't think so.

It is the difference between market driven and marketing driven. One is from the bottom up, the other from the top down.

Often, tarting up a design can be a sign that things are not going well. Sort of like putting fashionably attractive actors in roles that should be filled by real character actors. It sells, but it doesn't improve the product.

That was my entire point which I thought was clear.

Silver/leatherette retro looking cameras driven presumably by marketing, good.

Blue coloured cameras driven presumably by marketing, bad?

Often, tarting up a design can be a sign that things are not going well. Sort of like putting fashionably attractive actors in roles that should be filled by real character actors. It sells, but it doesn't improve the product.

Sort of like casting Russel Crowe as Javert? :D

(Sorry I've just been waiting for the right time to call out that ... dubious casting decision, and here it presented itself.)

Back