Fuji There really is a Blue Fuji

And how is that working for Pentax?

Again, if it's driven by DEMAND, that's fine -- but I'm not convinced it is. I think it's panic in levels of the company that don't design the cameras. "We've got to do SOMETHING to get/increase profits!"

If it's the demand driven, it's healthy. If it's management driven, it's not.

I don't agree with your dichotomy. Market push isn't necessarily a bad thing, and market pull (i.e. demand expressed by consumers) isn't necessarily a holy grail.

There are case where a company's attempt to "force" a trend is indeed bad (see the wide screen on your laptop? It's been pushed by the manufacturers just so they could save money; they attempted to justify that by going all "wooow now you can watch movies without black bars!!!!") and others where it isn't (Goolge's push for customisation on its Motorola X does make sense and has been well received AFAIK).

I don't agree with your dichotomy. Market push isn't necessarily a bad thing, and market pull (i.e. demand expressed by consumers) isn't necessarily a holy grail.

There are case where a company's attempt to "force" a trend is indeed bad (see the wide screen on your laptop? It's been pushed by the manufacturers just so they could save money; they attempted to justify that by going all "wooow now you can watch movies without black bars!!!!") and others where it isn't (Goolge's push for customisation on its Motorola X does make sense and has been well received AFAIK).

But I don't know what your disagreeing with exactly. I was speculating about how it could be a bad sign. Your speculating that it might not be. We don't know do we? With the state of the camera market, there is more than a possibility that it IS a bad sign as upper management churns out dictates to try to force profitability.

I've worked for large corporations and that sort of thing is not at all uncommon and I can't imagine it's not POSSIBLE in the camera industry.

My dichotomy stands, even it it was not complete to your satisfaction. Market driven changes are almost always good; while marketing driven changes from desperate executives are USUALLY bad. That's what I was saying and you've certainly no sound refutation.

God forbid that car makers start offering blue cars. Very bad sign, as we all know that real drivers only want black or white cars.

Not the same thing, Rudy, and you know it. People DO want colored cars. You guys are just being obstreperous -- you know exactly what I'm saying. You for one, Rico/Rudy, probably aren't allowed to speak disparagingly of Fuji and I can appreciate that. I don't disparage those who support me either -- at least not publicly, lol.

At least we agree on Russell Crowe though. That's something...

People also want and buy colorful cameras, smartphones, computers etc., so every camera maker offers an arsenal of colorful compact cameras.

I have no idea how giving people what they want is a "bad sign". Obviously, there was some market research done before offering such choices.

Offering the XF1 (same target group) in different colors was a success. What the users didn't like was the manual zoom that we and our "photographer friends" are usually very fond of.

Too bad that these cameras aren't primarily made for us and our photographer friends, they are made for normal customers who don't care or know much about photography, but who want a sleek and stylish camera that takes nice pictures w/o being complicated.

Looky here: colorful cameras - Google Suche

ALTHOUGH... I should probably change the color of the X in my avatar, huh?... lol

yup...I think that x needs to be silver. I like the classics. But I love the colors, too. I'm looking to re-get a white Pentax. I don't know why, I'm just happy when I'm carrying it. And that's really what it's all about. If you're happy carrying your camera, you'll be carrying it more often.

And thanks for giving me a new fave word...... obstreperous. This group can definitely be that from time to time.

But I don't know what your disagreeing with exactly. I was speculating about how it could be a bad sign. Your speculating that it might not be. We don't know do we? With the state of the camera market, there is more than a possibility that it IS a bad sign as upper management churns out dictates to try to force profitability.

I've worked for large corporations and that sort of thing is not at all uncommon and I can't imagine it's not POSSIBLE in the camera industry.

My dichotomy stands, even it it was not complete to your satisfaction. Market driven changes are almost always good; while marketing driven changes from desperate executives are USUALLY bad. That's what I was saying and you've certainly no sound refutation.

You were wondering about the origin of this business decision, but made it clear in your last sentence that "management driven" ones were bad in any case. This is where I was and still am in disagreement.
I am not arguing about the rest of your assumptions, and wouldn't anyways since debating over the generalisations you're making from your personal experience appears pointless.

in my own personal state of desperation, i just bought a white epl5 to join my blue bessa t. so fujis joining the color parade behind voigtlander, oly, panny, pentax and oh yeah leica with their new champagne and burgundy c cams. like the officer said, 'back to your homes people, nothin to see here'. ):

Soon...

9767275425_3b754686b8_c.jpg

Back