Thinking about growing the S.C. Network, again...

Admittedly, I didn't realise the SC site was for anything except small sensor cameras and joined the m43/Xspot sites before I came here. I kind of like the idea of a site like this one for all smaller, enthusiast cameras as opposed to sites specializing in one brand or another, mainly because there is a lot of overlap (both in users and content - cross-posted photos for instance). It does seem like the more separate sites there are, the smaller and more segregated the communities are (despite many users being on multiple forums) As far as a Leica site goes - while I'm a fan of the cameras and the images, I wouldn't join as I wouldn't really have anything to contribute since I don't intend on ever owning a Leica (maybe a lens at some point, although I doubt it).

Well, it certainly does give a great overview but it's not as attractive or eye catching as the front page where there's a lot more visual interest.

P.S. Being completely undiplomatic the index page seems full of info but very dull...:eek:;)

@Lawrence - I'm like you in that books, certain ones anyway, are like gold. I don't much trust digital media. There is an impermanence to it where as film and paper books short of a fire have longevity.

@Amin - So digital and analog and also you would get the leicalikes. Do you want all rangefinders or just Leica and copies? You'll definitely get more members if you don't base it on branding alone.

The German equivalent of this site is: Systemkamera Forum - alles über spiegellose Systemkameras

They use the forum index as the front page, and it seems to work well for them. I think I'm going to give it a try switching up for a bit. We can always switch back.

That's like forum at a glance. Or the other thing you can do is you can put an always top post on your blog page that explains what the site is about. The forum idea is probably more of a scan down and see if its for you thing, might be easier but is a lot like exposing the guts of the site, the fixed blog post is a little more polished but your text would have to be brief because people are lazy and don't want to read unless they actually want to read.

Once -- even on mu-43 -- a veritable brawl broke out concerning Leica lenses, one party saying they were just a high-falutin', name-dropping waste of money, another justifying their cost and advocating for their special drawing. I was on the side of the Leicas, even though what I have is very old and not very expensive. And quite aside from any technical advantage Leica's may have -- or have had -- shooting with a legend has its own rewards, even if a company has occasionally gotten a pass because of its legendary name. Every camera has a certain tactile feedback, and Leica has its own way of doing things that keep its devotees coming back, at least when the budget permits. The sound of the shutter even on my ancient IIIb from 1938 is pure music.

So often I read things like (when I bought the D-lux 4) that people pay hundreds more just for the red dot. But for me, who turns over compacts fairly frequently, resale value was a real consideration, as was the fact that I hate the Silkypix software that was bundled with the LX3. If there is a minority of Leica snobs, there is also a minority of Leica bashers, eager to attribute the basest motives to you for your Leica acquisition. People are funny, except when they're not.

So a Leica forum is safer from brickbats from the disgruntled, but maybe it is in danger of becoming smug as a place apart. I frankly don't know; I'm just throwing out some idle thoughts while I have my morning coffee. (Thus the incoherence)

The German equivalent of this site is: Systemkamera Forum - alles über spiegellose Systemkameras

They use the forum index as the front page, and it seems to work well for them. I think I'm going to give it a try switching up for a bit. We can always switch back.

Count me as one vote for going back. I like the front page a lot better than the index. The index is just a clutter (necessarily - not complaining that this is what it is, just not a useful launch point each time I come to the site) and my eye immediately goes to the right to see what the active posts are. The front page gives you the day's headlines, which you can follow or not, but at least a focal point, before then moving to the right to see the active threads.

-Ray

make a smaller book

8515464265_5373d24ec2_c.jpg

Coffee Table Book by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

Or just get a few choice ones...bit embarrassed to show the supporting role my X-Pro plays when it's not out and about shooting (not to worry, there is a real bookend between it and the books!).

P2280891.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back