Feedback Thinking about growing the S.C. Network...

Please, no use of the word "togs"!! I see Eric Kim's face every time I see or hear the word "togs"!!! Not that I have anything against Eric!

X-posure sounds good!

But I'm wondering if the usage of the letter X without reference to Fuji will lack sufficient recognition. Or perhaps too much of a connection to XXX genre.

I like this idea! One account gets you into the entire SC network!

I don't think it's possible to do, and I'm afraid of wrecking all the databases.

That looks pretty good, but black and white seems an obvious choice (with perhaps some silver), but it's your site.

More like this?

xtogslogo.png

X-posure sounds good!

I also like X talk. X also being a symbol for the word cross.

Almost all the other X _____ combos are either taken or are available for a higher price than I can afford. Also, hyphens are generally not desirable for domain names.

Agreed. All-black logo looks much better!

As for the all image forum, it sounds like a good idea. I'd love to see more discussion on processing images (with a step by step instruction). Hopefully, image processing discussion would be allowed in the all image forum.

The image forum sounds good to me. I think I tend to post my best pictures at RFF.com, using just the gallery for the most part, posting pictures as photos rather than as examples of what this or that piece of gear can do. But I do love my participation here and at mu-43.com. I imagine such an image only forum would need to be based on externally hosted pictures to cut bandwidth costs.

I would certainly make every attempt to support an image type forum. I stopped visiting m4/3 because of the number of gear related posts versus image posts although the fact that now you are able to filter out the image posts from other discussions is a big improvement and has seen me dipping my toes back into that forum. I does surprise me that so many people are either changing their equipment regularly, or at least thinking about doing so and seem happy to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about it, or speculating about it, personally it's of little interest to me. However it seems to generate a good deal of interest amongst a vocal band of people on the site which gives the impression, rightly or wrongly that that's the paramount reason for the site. I would support the idea of hiving off that aspect into an obviously separate entity so that it would be possible to filter out these two aspects of interest, equipment and images.

Barrie

It sometimes feels like SC is already a Fuji forum :)

Accordingly, I do think SC might bleed out if all the Fuji shooters/posters go to a new site.

I'm not convinced an image-only forum would stay very busy. Much as it would be nice to have a "photography" orientated rather than "camera" orientated site, it's hard to see what advantages it might have over Flickr, really.

Well in my opinion (and it's very humble and probably not much worth), though I understand the appeal of such a Fuji dedicated board, then S.C. would not really have a raison d'être anymore. I mean, if I want to talk with my NEX buddies, I go to Talknex, which is pretty much my mother base. I don't visit the m4/3 community anymore because it doesn't resonate well with me at all, I just don't like the attitude of most of the crowd. Bizarrely, m4/3 users here at S.C. have none of the holier-than-thou/my-camera-is-better-than-anything-else-medium-format-included pose that they have over there, go figure (ok, ok, no flames, I'm just stating how I feel things, and I know I'm not alone with this impression). So to me S.C. is just an incredibly crazy cool place where every type of mirrorless users can get together and go wild and speculate and bash any brand or format to their heart content if they like without others getting all defensive and starting wars. This is VERY refreshing and wonderful. Totally anti-DPR like, and just golden. I feel the same wonderful thing at Talknex where I've been bitching for hours on end about NEX AF and there was only one guy to call me upon it, and he was promptly reminded he could disagree but in a nicer way.
So maybe I'm all wrong, and a little egoistic too, but I'd hate to see all the good Fuji folks bleed out of S.C. to join a dedicated board.

To be honest, both here and at mu-43.com I mostly just browse the image and non-gear discussion threads (although I didn't start out that way). I'd be willing to give an image-only site a try, however I'm not sure there will be critical mass without the gearheads (and I use that term affectionately, not to make fun). It's just easier for many people to talk/speculate about gear than the actual craft of photography. But if you avoid the gear-centric threads there is still a lot of valuable discussion here and at the sister sites.

Even Flickr is very gear oriented. So many times I get asked on Flickr how I like some camera or lens. If I strip out the EXIF, people ask me what I used.

I'm sure that an image only site would struggle. Eventually I want to do it anyway, but not until I have time to put in the kind of work it would take to keep a site of that nature going.

On the Fuji side of things, X-ians.com is also available as a domain (actually, I bought it just in case). How do you like that compared to Xtogs.com? I like Xtogs because it's so short and no hyphens, but others seem less excited about it.

I'm sure that an image only site would struggle. Eventually I want to do it anyway, but not until I have time to put in the kind of work it would take to keep a site of that nature going.

I agree, and feel this is the right move.

On the Fuji side of things, X-ians.com is also available as a domain (actually, I bought it just in case). How do you like that compared to Xtogs.com? I like Xtogs because it's so short and no hyphens, but others seem less excited about it.

My reaction to X-ians is that it is a bit exclusive - almost fan boyish. I'm not sure I want to be labelled by the camera I prefer. I have no issue with Xtogs. It looks better in the logo than it does in plain text.

xphotographers is available. Nice and straightforward, just like SC. I feel it sounds welcoming too.

Things go in cycles. Right now, a lot of enthusiasts have gone over to Fuji, so this site is very Fuji heavy. If another company brings out compelling products, it'll swing that way. Remember when half of us had Pentax K5s?

I don't think S.C. will ever have massive activity, and most here wouldn't want that anyway, but I don't see it going away either.

it should be worth noting that Xian is sometimes used as an abbreviation for Christian.

Xphotographers sound good. It's straight forward and no nonsense.

As usual, beat me to it.

I don't own any Fuji's, but if there is enough traffic for it, I say go for it. I know many of the images I've seen on this forum over the last year or so have come from the X100 and X10. The X-E1 looks promising, but I haven't seen too much about it as of late.

I would really enjoy a photography non-gear oriented site. I just wonder how well ,in this day and age, it would work.

Things go in cycles. Right now, a lot of enthusiasts have gone over to Fuji, so this site is very Fuji heavy. If another company brings out compelling products, it'll swing that way. Remember when half of us had Pentax K5s?

I don't think S.C. will ever have massive activity, and most here wouldn't want that anyway, but I don't see it going away either.

Agreed.

Back