Pentax Thinking about Pentax

Name
Tim Williams
I have been kicking around the idea of picking up another Pentax body and adding a couple lenses just for carry purposes , say 18-70 and ?-200 or 300 . Maybe a mid prime. Pentax is what I learned on in film and I stayed with them for a while , all the way to the K 10D. I picked up some lenses sadly all are gone but were very old manual focus . I am older now a tilt screen does come in handy. I would like to find a used camera with tilt screen and decent specks , not full frame, that won't be too hard to lug around . I have lost touch with Pentax lenes so any input here would be great. KEH and MPB is where I have been looking. Found a K-3 which looks solid but no tilt screen, which I can do without if I have to. I'll do the shopping if you guys have advice on bodies. Thanks everyone.

I liked the K70 a lot more than I thought I would. Great in hand, good feature set and very nice output.
The little pancakes were the goal. I tried the 15, 21, 35macro, 40 and 70. All very nice in use. If picking my fav three, it would be the 15 for its flare resistance, the 40 for its jewel like feel and output and the 70 2.4 for a tiny little candids lens. The 20-40 was also very nice.

I'll echo what others have said about the K-70: it metaphorically punches far above its weight, and everything about it seems to fall into a phtographer's hands, nicely. Surprisingly, its cheaper sibling, the K-S2, also is a great (and generally underrated) camera. If my memory serves me right, some copies of the K-S2 suffered from the dreaded and fatal block failure disease, but most of them have stood up nicely. It's worth mentioning that the K-S2, like its more accomplished sibling the K-70, also has a tilting screen.

Lenswise, my two favorites are the DA21 Ltd - Pentax's semi-pancake and quite affordable interpretation of a classic 35mm FOV - and simply one of the nicest 35mm field of view lenses I have ever used, period. The even tinier DA40 is also a great lens. The one lens I never shot with but always lusted after was the DA 20-40mm zoom, which although it seems to have a somewhat limited zoom range, has, according to all accounts, out-of-this world optical qualities.

PentaxForums is a fine place to soak up Pentax lore, and get advice or unsolicited comments from a whole universe of Pentaxians, who for the most part are eccentric and knowledgeable. It's also not a bad place to look for or find Pentax gear for sale.

My only thing to watch with some of those early 20-tween bodies is the sticky-shutter thing. Apparently Pentax used some dodgy solenoids that affected a range of entry level bodies - K-01 (the apsc mirrorless one - mine has this issue), the K-30 and K-50 (maybe K-70?) - I'm not sure when it stopped being a problem. Suspect it was fixed from the K-S1 & K-S2 onwards. Don't think the single-digit DSLR's from that time were affected (K-3, 5 & 7).

I've certainly been super impressed by my K-7 & K-5 - sadly no tilty screen.
Pentax have a nice ecosystem and nice bodies. Would love to try some of the newer ones.

After a quick look the K 70 looks good and with it's in body stabilization and several other features it really looks good for a mid level rig.
The K-70 is a proper bargain. I know it's cheaper outside of NZ but I was already enticed even with the standard price. I thought of going straight to it but I told myself I had to try at least 1 Pentax body first to just get a feel of what it's all about.

I've been thinking the same. 200 euros seems to be enough for a Pentax camera from around 2012 and a telezoom lens.
Pentax cameras are already much more affordable in Europe but you can also look at Germany. Pentax gear can be much cheaper there. That's where I got my K200D from.

If my memory serves me right, some copies of the K-S2 suffered from the dreaded and fatal block failure disease
Yup, Aperture Block Failure (ABF) is very well-documented in PentaxForums. One member there is an actual repair technician and he even documented the whole history of Pentax solenoids.
The one lens I never shot with but always lusted after was the DA 20-40mm zoom, which although it seems to have a somewhat limited zoom range, has, according to all accounts, out-of-this world optical qualities.
I was told the same about such optical qualities. That lens is also in my watchlist. The one on eBay is even cheaper than most pro MFT lenses.
PentaxForums is a fine place to soak up Pentax lore, and get advice or unsolicited comments from a whole universe of Pentaxians, who for the most part are eccentric and knowledgeable.
I get all my Pentax info there, even when buying lenses. I just lurk. I haven't registered yet.
I'm not sure when it stopped being a problem
According to Photogem in PentaxForums, the ABF started to be remedied after 2015, so even the K-S2 on or after 2015 has a better solenoid already.

s. The one lens I never shot with but always lusted after was the DA 20-40mm zoom, which although it seems to have a somewhat limited zoom range, has, according to all accounts, out-of-this world optical qualities.
This is the first lens on my buy now list. 300.00 off at B&H now through the Holidays although I have secured a used 17-70 f4 from a seller on Pentax Forums that looks to be a good copy.

The one lens I never shot with but always lusted after was the DA 20-40mm zoom, which although it seems to have a somewhat limited zoom range, has, according to all accounts, out-of-this world optical qualities.
I had a K30 for a while, and tried various lenses. The small 28mm f2.8 M lens was superb, as were the 50mm f1.4 M lens and the legacy 40mm 2.8. I rented the DA 20-40 for one of my woodland cycling adventures, and it was one of the best lenses I've ever used. I've given thought to picking up a KP, but it's on the large size of what I prefer to carry while cycling.

I had a K30 for a while, and tried various lenses. The small 28mm f2.8 M lens was superb, as were the 50mm f1.4 M lens and the legacy 40mm 2.8. I rented the DA 20-40 for one of my woodland cycling adventures, and it was one of the best lenses I've ever used. I've given thought to picking up a KP, but it's on the large size of what I prefer to carry while cycling.
I'm curios to see how this K-70 fits in my hand. The last Pentax I worked with was the K-10D and it was just about perfect. I won't be shooting any serious long lenses with this camera so we shall see .

Here's what I feel will be here end of next week. K-70 , 17-70 f4, and a 20-40 limited. I'm bidding on a used 15 mm limited. I'll have to decide if I keep the 17-70 or sell it. I'm hoping the 15 comes through. That will be a nice kit for this little camera. I have seen photos from the 17-70 and it seems to be good but I have a hard time liking mid-zooms, but its there for a walk around. Bet I use the 20-40 and leave the 17-70 at home.

K-70 came in a few minutes ago. First impressions are that it's small but does not feel cheap by any means . A proper handful, and the 20-40 balances wonderfully on it. Excuse my light box , it's being remodeled. 15Limited left, 17-70 f4 right
Pentax K-70 1.jpg

Back