Advice Wanted Thinking of more megapixels

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
We're planning a big family vacation (Greece, Italy, ? - still planning).

I thinking about 4 options:

OM-1 / OM-5 with handheld high res 50mp. I have all the glass I need, so I'd just need the body and batteries. Handheld high res does have some issues with things ghosting with movement that I'm sure I'd get. It would also give me the ND feature that I'm sure I'd also use. I have the 8-25 Pro which I expect would be my primary lens.

Fuji X-T5 40mp. Love the LCD, not sure about the grip and I'd probably end up using a couple of primes most with this (14 or 16 and 27?). I guess I would probably also get the 16-80 kit. But why are both of the kit lens options NOT on the recommended lens list?

Nikon Z7 (I or II) EDIT : 46mp. Do I need the II? Tracking AF is really not a concern. 14-30 + 24-50 plus the 28 and / or 40 primes? I do like pretty much everything Nikon has done with the Z even if it's more than I normally need. If I did go with something like the Z7 II I'd probably end up the above lenses and the 24-120 and have really nice kit going forward. (I'd probably wait for the Z8 to come out and see what the used market looks like).

Dark Horse - Sony A7R IV 61mp. There's a 20-40 f/2.8 Tamron and 20-70 f/4 Sony. Either of these could be nice travel options.

Not interested in Canon or Panasonic.

Last edited:
1. I didn't like the HHHR mode in the EM1.3 and I think it'd be inconvenient on vacation. But already having glass is huge.
2. I have and love the X-T5. I haven't tried the 16-80 but have tried many not on the "list" including the 18-55 and 15-45 and am happy with the results. The little crons seem to be well suited for travel, perform admirably and won't break the bank.
3. A used Z7 seems like an incredible value. I loved it while I had it. The 14-30 is great but I think I'd get the 24-70 instead, which is another amazing value. As is the 28 and 40. Only has one memory card which could be of concern.
4. A7Riv is another favorite of mine. 20 something zooms seem to gap "old school" physics so I'd really be interested in one if I was ever to shoot Sony again. There are layers and layers of lenses to choose from.

Well, you know what I am going to say: The Z 7 II it is. Why? Because while initially small, the advantages of the second generation are tangible in so many ways - it's not that the first generation is bad, but the fluidity and sure-footedness of the II is something else. I'm entrenched with the Z system, so I'm obviously biased, but I really think this camera offers the best balance of size and performance that's currently available. Sony and Canon offer models to match or exceed it on paper - but I'm also talking about the shooting experience. It's also a camera that I trust to perform satisfyingly even at ISO 6400 - not quite on the level of the Z 6, but less than half a stop "worse" (more visible noise, but mostly luminance; colours are almost as good). Furthermore, I.B.I.S. is truely reliable - not on a level with Olympus, but very good, and it helps shooting confidently with the high MP sensor.

As for lenses, the Z 14-30mm S is a great choice, as are both of the small primes, thought considering you'd already have the wide zoom, I'd think twice about the Z 28mm, nice though it is - there's just not enough of an advantage over the zoom, even though 30mm is its weakest spot; the Z 40mm is a no-brainer in principle, but hold that thought ... I'm really not a fan of the Z 24-50mm, though - while optically decent, it's just too much of a compromise. I guess it's about staying small - but you're already covering almost everything you'd get from the Z 24-50mm with what you'd take otherwise. If you opt for a compact zoom, I'd say Dan's right: The 24-70mm f/4 is a cut above most competitors and still decently compact. But - I'd just skip the standard zoom: You'll be fine with just the Z 40mm in my experience (a lens with a really pleasing rendering IMO); if 28mm is your thing (as I think it is), the Z 28mm is a nice companion, of course.

However ... Considering what I think you're trying to achieve (a compact setup), what I'd do is pair the Z 14-30mm S with the Z 50mm f/1.8 S if that's long enough for you. Two lenses, both optically nice or even stunning (the Z 50mm S). I'm a fan of the compact primes, but they can't hold a candle to the Z 50mm S. A simpler kit, yet optically better, and fully sealed throughout. Plus the Z 50mm S will match the resolution of the Z 7 II, no compromises. Again, adding the Z 28mm to have that FoV covered is an obvious option.

All that said, the Sony kit you consider is hard to match in any other system. I could see myself travelling with just the A7R V and 20-70mm f/4. Though I'd probably also take a faster, but compact 35mm lens - options aplenty. And I might also take the fun little 24mm f/2.8 G along - just for the joy of shooting with it.

FWIW, my zoom travel kit consists of the Z 14-30mm S, the Z 24-120mm S and the Z 35mm S (but I am a 35mm guy - the Z 50mm S still is the more desirable lens). The Z 24-120mm S does most of the work for me, but it's obviously bigger than what you're considering.

M.

Dark Horse - Sony A7R IV 61mp. There's a 20-40 f/2.8 Tamron and 20-70 f/4 Sony. Either of these could be nice travel options
Or maybe the Tamron 28-200mm and a nicely pocketable 17mm f/4 from Sigma? Lens options on the Sony system are aplenty. Then again, it's hard to argue against that 8-25mm Oly lens if you already have it. What do you seek to gain from those megapickles?

I thinking about 4 options:

OM-1 / OM-5 with handheld high res 50mp. I have all the glass I need, so I'd just need the body and batteries. Handheld high res does have some issues with things ghosting with movement that I'm sure I'd get. It would also give me the ND feature that I'm sure I'd also use. I have the 8-25 Pro which I expect would be my primary lens.

Fuji X-T5 40mp. Love the LCD, not sure about the grip and I'd probably end up using a couple of primes most with this (14 or 16 and 27?). I guess I would probably also get the 16-80 kit. But why are both of the kit lens options NOT on the recommended lens list?

Nikon Z7 (I or II) 64mp. Do I need the II? Tracking AF is really not a concern. 14-30 + 24-50 plus the 28 and / or 40 primes? I do like pretty much everything Nikon has done with the Z even if it's more than I normally need. If I did go with something like the Z7 II I'd probably end up the above lenses and the 24-120 and have really nice kit going forward. (I'd probably wait for the Z8 to come out and see what the used market looks like).

Dark Horse - Sony A7R IV 61mp. There's a 20-40 f/2.8 Tamron and 20-70 f/4 Sony. Either of these could be nice travel options.

Not interested in Canon or Panasonic.
Would you not consider medium format at this point?

This is so unlike me.

Big family vacation- bring at least two bodies. Make sure both bodies use the same lenses. Same battery and charger also a plus. Bring TWO chargers, they fail.
Trip of a lifetime Vacation: Not the time to get frustrated with a new system that you have not had time to get used to. also not the time to have "infant Mortality Failure" of a new system. Nor a time for a very old body to fail.

What system are you most comfortable with? If it is the Olympus, get the upgraded body and also bring the best that you currently have. One advantage of the mu43: you can pack twice the equipment.

In engineering critical systems: 5 is 2; 2 is 1; 1 is none.

This is so unlike me.

Big family vacation- bring at least two bodies. Make sure both bodies use the same lenses. Same battery and charger also a plus. Bring TWO chargers, they fail.
Trip of a lifetime Vacation: Not the time to get frustrated with a new system that you have not had time to get used to. also not the time to have "infant Mortality Failure" of a new system. Nor a time for a very old body to fail.

What system are you most comfortable with? If it is the Olympus, get the upgraded body and also bring the best that you currently have. One advantage of the mu43: you can pack twice the equipment.

This is a better written version of what I would say. So make it x2. Although in certain gear for me it’s been 1 is none, 2 is one, 3 is better. But now I will try not to lose anything important on my body convincing the wife that the new ratio is 5 is better per Brian’s better version.

This is so unlike me.

This would be in addition to at least one of my m4/3 bodies (probably the E-P7). And I get the same battery, same mount, .... It's how I handled events. If I were to follow this the answer would be the OM-5 which is one of the options I'm considering.

But Nikon was my pro kit, I'm just as comfortable with it as Olympus. They handle very much the same, one of the reasons I fell for Olympus.

This would be in addition to at least one of my m4/3 bodies (probably the E-P7). And I get the same battery, same mount, .... It's how I handled events. If I were to follow this the answer would be the OM-5 which is one of the options I'm considering.

But Nikon was my pro kit, I'm just as comfortable with it as Olympus. They handle very much the same, one of the reasons I fell for Olympus.
That makes sense- the Menu structure is similar between the Df and Z5. I can pack both in the bag and use either. However- if a full frame Zf comes out, I'm buying it. Going on a longer trip- I usually bring the M9 and M Monochrom, same battery and chargers. I like redundancy.

Not much on the camera side of things, but Italy from Rome and Northwards are rather exquisite. The south may be, but never been so not in a posistion to offer any advice. Depending on when you are going, high summer can be seriously hot. Our first foray down there was in July, and the temps was easily around 40-45 dgrs Celcius meterological in the day time, iow 104-113 Fahrenheit.

I was then just a couple of months out of a couple of Afghanistan deployments so had some insights in how to work the temps, the little Mrs. got heatstroke twice, due to trying to operate as per her usual speed.

Greece as I gather it gets hotter, as do the southern parts of Italy.

Or maybe the Tamron 28-200mm and a nicely pocketable 17mm f/4 from Sigma? Lens options on the Sony system are aplenty. Then again, it's hard to argue against that 8-25mm Oly lens if you already have it. What do you seek to gain from those megapickles?
A couple of years ago I picked up a Z5 for about a month. I decided it wasn't something I really needed. But I also can't deny the image quality. So I could just go for the Z6II, but I figured why not go for the higher mp as well.

Best advice I can give you is to leave the big camera gear at home then! Seriously, I've never found that family holidays and serious photography go well together. Take a lightweight kit and enjoy the family time first and foremost.

But if you want an excuse to buy gear...

I found that HHHR helped sometimes with noise handling, but the improvement in resolution I found was quite limited. I certainly wouldn't spend money on an Oly camera to get HHHR.

I personally wouldn't go near Fuji XTrans. Maybe it's better now than it was, but the processing of raw files still presents some challenges.

Nikon Z7 (I or II) EDIT : 45mp. Do I need the II? Tracking AF is really not a concern. 14-30 + 24-50 plus the 28 and / or 40 primes? I do like pretty much everything Nikon has done with the Z even if it's more than I normally need. If I did go with something like the Z7 II I'd probably end up the above lenses and the 24-120 and have really nice kit going forward. (I'd probably wait for the Z8 to come out and see what the used market looks like).
The Z7 I had for a few months back in 2020 was OK, but I found the features on the camera were quite limited compared to Olympus. But the lenses were fantastic and overall I think they have built a pretty good system. Maybe the Z7ii has moved on.

I never gelled with Sony FF, something about the handling never sat right with me.

If I were to have such a trip upcoming, I would get the new mft body. I love my K1 and what I can get out of it. It does what I wanted to to do over my mft gear. But on a trip where everything is getting carried in luggage and on my back for days on end... you can't beat mft. Plus if you already have lenses you like and know well, you can't beat going with what you have, but upgraded.

If it was me, I would probably go with the OM-5, my existing 12-40Pro and Panasonic 100-300. I would also consider adding one of the Panasonic 15mm, Oly 17 1.8 or 20mm for night shooting.

Best advice I can give you is to leave the big camera gear at home then! Seriously, I've never found that family holidays and serious photography go well together. Take a lightweight kit and enjoy the family time first and foremost.

But if you want an excuse to buy gear...
Family as in older kids 25-30. Part of the reason for the trip for me would be to see and photograph. If it were otherwise then yes I would agree. Maybe a little bit of an excuse, but why not?

I found that HHHR helped sometimes with noise handling, but the improvement in resolution I found was quite limited. I certainly wouldn't spend money on an Oly camera to get HHHR.

I personally wouldn't go near Fuji XTrans. Maybe it's better now than it was, but the processing of raw files still presents some challenges.

The Z7 I had for a few months back in 2020 was OK, but I found the features on the camera were quite limited compared to Olympus. But the lenses were fantastic and overall I think they have built a pretty good system. Maybe the Z7ii has moved on.

I never gelled with Sony FF, something about the handling never sat right with me.
Resolution and noise handling would both be the pluses for HHHR along with the gear I already have, the E-OM-5 would also use the same battery as my E-P7.

I've never really had an issue Fuji and X-Tran or others dating back to the S5 Pro.

I RARELY use a quarter or half of the features of most cameras in reality. So I'd be really surprised if the Z would be missing anything I would need.

I haven't really been a big fan of Sony in the past. I remember when "standard" zooms went from 28mme to 24mme. I've used the Fuji 15-45 and the wide converter for the X70, making it a 21mme. It's hard to deny the value and the options starting at 20mm it's REALLY tempting.

If I were to have such a trip upcoming, I would get the new mft body. I love my K1 and what I can get out of it. It does what I wanted to to do over my mft gear. But on a trip where everything is getting carried in luggage and on my back for days on end... you can't beat mft. Plus if you already have lenses you like and know well, you can't beat going with what you have, but upgraded.

If it was me, I would probably go with the OM-5, my existing 12-40Pro and Panasonic 100-300. I would also consider adding one of the Panasonic 15mm, Oly 17 1.8 or 20mm for night shooting.
I have the P12-32, P14, O17, O20, S56, O8-25, O12-45, O12-100, O75-300, O9BCL.

The only thing I find OM really missing is a Pro level replacement 75-300 that's longer than 150mm, but not 400mm.

A lot of strong points in the comments.

My initial thoughts align most closely with Paul's

That said, I too have a hard time passing up a good opportunity to justify an upgrade.

I don't think you mentioned when this vacation is planned for. If you're planning to go this summer, I'd suggest it may be too late to gain comfort with a new system before you depart. If that's the case, the OM1/OM5 vault to the top of the list and @Brian's points about redundancy and "infant mortality" carry weight.

My next question mirrors this one:
What do you seek to gain from those megapickles?

How do you envision using the images you intend to create on this vacation? Unless you think you'll have a gallery show or want to display poster-sized prints, I question how much value the addition of MP will have.

I think my advice would be to take whatever budget you have for gear and instead use that to "plus up" your vacation. I'm envisioning some splurge activity for your family. What this is will depend on what your family is into, but I'm thinking of things like a splashy sunset cruise or a helicopter tour.

When I took my family to Alaska a couple of summers ago, we did a couple of activities with price tags that initially caused heartburn (e.g. a flight over Denali with a glacier landing or a day trip to Katmai N.P.). Those turned out to be adventures that my kids won't soon forget, and literally no one will know (or care) if the images that we look back on have a bit less resolution.

Just my two cents.

- K

Back