Fuji thinking of selling my x-e1

deanmessenger

Regular
Name
Dean Messenger
as much as I love my X-E1 and 18-55 Lens im thinking of selling.
ive just lost my Job and have the chance to shoot events and shots for local media but the problem lies in that as much as the Fuji is an amazing camera for me it just doesn't work for those kind of occasions. Last sunday I was shooting the big lunch event along with my wife who had her canon DSLR and throughout the day I kept going back and using her canon as I found it far better to work with for getting candids and distance shots than I did with the Fuji. Also for ease of use the canon out performed each time in terms of capturing shots in an instant.

Ive had the Fuji since UK release and paid £1100 for it which hurts big time as I know with the 18-55 lens it can be picked up for £250-300 cheaper now.

I of course have lots of extras with it ( 1000x ND filter (10 stopper) . spare batteries, remote cable release/intervalometer, Leather case for camera and the 18-55 lens, canvas camera bag, Raynox 250 Macro lens etc

as a replacement im looking at going to FF and picking up a CANON EOS 5D. I know its a little old now but still top quality but at least then I could get a reasonable lens or two. its that if stay with aps-c and get a canon 60D. so the problem is what do I ask for my Fuji and accessories without me feeling ive suffered a huge loss while still making enough money to purchase a replacement. I cant afford to get the 55-200 Fuji and doubt that would solve my problems so im left to consider my next move before the X-E1 drops even more in price.

If you're going to be shooting for pay, I'd say do what you need to do to get the shots. I've not shot a 5D classic but I know others who have and it had some limitations (my understanding is only center point focus was really usable, and high ISO caps out somewhere around 1600). I'd want to be sure it'll at least be an improvement over the X-E1 before you drop what you have.

That being said, I know when I'm worried about making sure I nail a shot I want my Nikon DSLR or m4/3 kit with me so I can rely on fast, sure AF that's easy to work with. The X-E1 in particular has the disadvantage of needing both hands to adjust the AF point which isn't ideal.

Dean, I'm sorry to read about your job loss. I'm in complete agreement that one has to do what one has to do when it comes to these things. The upside is that you've got some opportunities knocking at your door so I'd say go for it and sell the X-E1 if you need to. Sometimes it's wiser to take a small loss for a big gain. Someday, you'll be able to buy a Fuji again - that I have no doubt about.

^ I Agree with Jay. A 5D probably isn't what you want for event photography. Since you get shallower DOF with a full frame sensor you may not always be able to shoot those wide aperture lenses close enough to wide open to negate the fact that you can only go up to ISO 1600 (3200 with expansion I believe). Stop down to get what you need in focus and your shutter speed drops. The 5D is great for portrait photography where you often can control both your subject and lighting, but I don't know that I'd want it for event photography unless I also had a speedlight. Its not that it can't be done - people certainly sucessfully used 5Ds for wedding photography for years and I'm sure many still do - I just don't know that its the tool I'd choose today given the other options available.

looking around and the fact my wife has a canon for current prices I would most likely opt for canon 60D. newer technology than the 5d, better processor faster shooting, good ISO quality and of course takes both efs and ef lenses. plus and the main factor of course being in a price range that is affordable ( based upon sale of x-e1 of course ).
looked at 6D and 7D but both beyond price of what I could sell X-E1 for. don't want to go down ebay route as they take to large a cut so I may have list on here.

Any recent Canon DSLR body (such as a 60D) should give you great results, it's also important to make sure you get the right glass for the job. There are plenty of nice USM lenses that focus extremely fast.

Best wishes in your new endeavors, hopefully your job loss will lead to future opportunities-

rental is out of question and for the local event work, family portrait work etc I really need a camera I know I can use without even thinking about it. I had a canon before the Fuji and know them like the back of my hand and the 60D is high enough up the scale ( without going FF ) to be usuable as an acceptable working tool.
will be listing my xe-1 on here and see what happens

Sorry to hear about your job loss. But sometimes unwanted happenings trigger new possibilities. It seems that you've chosen that path. All the best in your new venture.
Peter

I own fuji systems, canon and m4/3rds...though i love the fuji images the ui from shooting through post is not a joy. As for what canon to get...i've shot super high end jobs with a t2i and the images look amazing. The 5d is great too, i'm not sure what the poster was on about saying only the middle focus spot works..maybe he or she had a bad cam. I had 3 and all were spot-on. You could get almost any canon back to the d40 and do fine on the cheap. For lenses you could get a 50mm, a17-40mm f4, and a 100 mm f2 and be ready for everything. Good luck, im excited for you.

I own fuji systems, canon and m4/3rds...though i love the fuji images the ui from shooting through post is not a joy. As for what canon to get...i've shot super high end jobs with a t2i and the images look amazing. The 5d is great too, i'm not sure what the poster was on about saying only the middle focus spot works..maybe he or she had a bad cam. I had 3 and all were spot-on. You could get almost any canon back to the d40 and do fine on the cheap. For lenses you could get a 50mm, a17-40mm f4, and a 100 mm f2 and be ready for everything. Good luck, im excited for you.

As I said, I'm not a Canon shooter so I'm going on second-hand information from other people I know that owned a 5D before moving to the 5DII or later models. However, on the 5D the center is the only cross-point; the 60D would have 9 cross-points by comparison.

I suspect your experience with the AF system is going to depend somewhat on the type of shooting you do. For example, one of the former 5D classic shooters I know does concert photography; lots of low light means cross-type sensors are a huge help, and capping out at ISO 1600 is limiting. On the other hand, if you're doing landscapes or well lit subjects it may not be something you'd really notice.

Best of luck to you Dean!

Hey Dean, I used to shoot news, for 90% of news, as stated earlier by whensly, the 5D should be fine. I had a 5D and it could hang in there with my 1D's, sure a bit slower, but if you're not shooting sports, it will be okay. I've shot plenty of events with the 5D, don't give a second thought to the DOF, use it to your advantage for subject isolation. Unfortunately, the two lens you really need are the 70-200 f/2.8L and the 16-35 f/28L are out of the budget, so primes will be the best way to go ... a 200 f/2.8L, 85 f1.4, a 50mm f1.8 and something wide, a 28mm and 20mm and you're pretty set for anything. Look at Sigma, Tokina and Tamron, good glass at even better prices.

Good Luck,
Gary

PS- The main problem with shoot news with older equipment is the competition. If you're shoot a fast action story, breaking news, sports, anything with a lot of action and the competition is standing to the right of you and to the left of you ... the competition will often outshoot you. But it doesn't sound like you'll be shooting hard news, so once again the 5D will be fine.
G

PPS-

5D @ ISO 3200

Downtown Disney
Anaheim, California

_MG_2343-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5D w/ Canon 85mm, f/2.8, 1/60, ISO 3200

_MG_2255-L.jpg

5D w/ Canon 85mm, f/2.8, 1/60, ISO 3200

IMG_5990-01-L.jpg

5D w/ Canon 70-200mm L @ 70mm, f/2.8, 1/60, ISO 3200

_MG_2325-L.jpg

5D w/ Canon 85mm, f/2.8, 1/125, ISO 3200

=G=

well as mentioned the 5D is pretty old now.. and limited to EF only lenses. though the 60D not FF it does have much faster newer Processor ( digic 4) plus higher MP and the handy swivel out screen. and more FPS as well. This will also be my regular day to day shooter too for landscapes, cityscapes , wildlife etc so considering all of that and obvious budget I see the 60D as the way to go. In regard to events and the like no its not hard reporting. local events local paper stuff so no jostling with other photographers. FOr instance have an event coming up end of month, local carnival where we also have a stall setup under a gazebo with a backdrop for doing portrait shots of the kids when they are in fancy dress/ facepainted etc. we already have the 70-200 canon lens plus the 18-55 so really im only looking for a decent quality small zoom such as the 24-70L or similar depending on sale of the fuji

the latest version of the 24-70L is pretty nice, but only seems more.. proper on a FF. if you're going with the 60D, maybe also consider something like a 650D as well.

(Sent from my EVO)

Back