This is kind-of interesting, maybe . . .

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Cloudy day here in upstate New York.

I was fooling around with cameras and wanted to see how the OMD EM5 II with 14-150 and digital zoom compared with the Sony HX400V at roughly the same magnification.

Here's the OMD at 100 percent:

OMD ME5 II snip.JPG

Here's the HX400V, trying to get it roughly to the same size:

HX400V snip.JPG

And here are the originals. OMD:

OMD EM5 II test 017.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And the HX400V:

HX400V test 003.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers, Jock

That's a notable difference. What's the eq mm?

The Sony was at 146mm times the crop factor (unfortunately, Sony metadata doesn't report what the equivalent mm would be). Found a crop factor website, which presents conflicting information -- either 6.03 or 5.33, which works out to 880mm e or 778mm e.

The OMD was at 300mm e x2 (since the digital zoom was engaged), so . . . 600mm.

Cheers, Jock

Seems a case of you get what you pay for. Sharing purchase prices (new) could be interesting too.

The HX400V was about $450 when I purchased it.

The OMD EM5 II was $800 (open box); the Travel Lens Kit, $800; so $1600 for the combo.

But here's the thing: the HX400V far, far exceeds the OMD/14-150 zoom in reach.

Check out this photo:

HX400V Oakwood cemetery hawk blue and skies 007.JPG

That shot looks perfectly acceptable to me, so much so that I put it on a coffee mug for a Christmas present. It was taken with the HX400V at 1200mm e, plus a digital zoom multiplier of 1.63 . . . so, roughly 1800mm e (handheld!)

Now check out the image at 100%:

Hawk eye.JPG

Just awful, right? Just look at all those digital artifacts! Nevertheless, at normal viewing magnifications, the HX400V delivers wonderful images, IMHO.

But to get even close to the amount of reach offered by the HX400V, I would need the OMD EM5 II, plus the Panasonic 100-400, which would give me 200-800, times two, if I am will to use digital zoom, which would result in 400-1600 mm e. I have been tempted by this combo, but I don't know if I could successfully handhold it. (The OMD combo would be nearly three times the weight of the HX400V).

Just for fun, I snipped this from CameraSize:

sony vs omd.JPG

You're right -- you get what you pay for. When I shoot an assignment, the OMD/14-150 is my first choice. My wife has even commented that the images I shoot with the OMD "look better."

But sometimes, when you're playing "old guy, casual wildlife photographer," (like me) there is such a thing as good enough. (Sorry for winding on so long.)

Cheers, Jock

I've been eye-balling that 100-400.....and some photos taken from it over at Mu-43. In capable hands (which mine are not) it delivers some pro quality photos. It's priced out of my reach (for now, anyways).

But all that means is that the old Panasonic 100-300 and Oly 75-300 have been hitting the classifieds pretty regularly. For around $400 one can try out 600mm on a 43 sensor. And with the stabilization on that fancy E-M5 mk. ii.....that is well within handheld shooting shutter speeds.

Of course, I may just save up a little longer for the PL 100-400..... or that Oly 300mm PRO f4. I wish Sigma would sell their tele lenses in m43 mount. What do they say....."If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"...I guess that's me.

actually, after a quick check on eBay, seems both the "old" Panasonic 100-300 and Oly 75-300 are around $400 new from overseas (with free shipping). I think my Paypal account is going to take a hit today.
A lot of the older P100-300s are starting to come up used as the vII just came out. It's availability is still a little limited, but you should see more and more of the original and the O75-300 coming up for sale. The vII has some nice updates:
It incorporates Panasonic's updated Power O.I.S. system to work with Dual IS and Dual IS 2-equipped cameras, and a new micro-step drive system in the aperture control section for smooth iris actuation. The lens also features faster AF for advanced DFD systems, and is splash, dust, and freeze proof down to -10℃.

It's on my list since my GX85 will benefit with the Dual IS.

I'm not seeing much point in searching for a used one when I'm looking at a brand new 75-300 mk. ii for $369 delivered.

With how often I shoot tele ( not very ) , it should be more than good enough. Up until a year ago it was one of the 2 best (only) options.

Many look at the slightly faster speed of the P100-300 and lens OIS. With my GX85 I'd have to really look at the shutter speeds I've been using, but I'd have to guess I'd want lens OIS. On the GX85 the 100-300 vII is really the best option, not much comes close for the price.

On something like the E-M1 mkI/II, E-M5 mkII, E-M10 mkII (maybe also the mkI of both as well) you might get close to a 50/50 response on a survey of the O75-300 vs P100-300 vI. The O750-300 has that 75-100 range and is smaller / lighter. It's crossed my mind to swap my GX85 for an E-M5 mkII just for that reason. But in general I like a range finder style body.

I think that's a good call, Luke. The Oly 75-300mm is one of those lenses that keep me in m43.

- It's cheap enough that it's ok if you don't always use it.
- It's small and light enough that you can take it along anywhere - just in case. (which means you'll use it more)
- And it's certainly good enough. (You have to watch your technique a bit, since it's a light lens with a long focal length. So leaning against something or putting your elbows on something makes a visible difference).

Those 3 points are kind of what m43 is about for me. Options for everybody's needs/wants.
In my case: I don't shoot a lot of wide-angle -> got myself a cheap-ish and tiny Oly 9-18mm. I shoot a lot in the "normal range" -> therefore I'm happy to use the big and clunky (but excellent) old four thirds lenses (like the 12-60 or 14-150). And lastly: I shoot tele more than wide, but less than 'normal' -> the Oly 75-300 is the perfect bookend for that...

All the bird shots at the top of my current flickr photostream are done with the 75-300mm.
They're not all "spot-on", but all good enough for me :)

Luke, it might be worth considering the EM1 over the EM5, if you're still deciding. The EM1 got a pretty good autofocus update in one of its last big firmware updates. (I remember noticing an improvement with the 75-300mm, back when it was released).
No idea, how focussing compares to the old EM5. But I got some good results for (sitting) birds with the EM5 too.
(I did sometimes switch to manual focus (with magnification) though. But I probably would have done that on the EM1 too. :) )

P.S.: oh, and it also helps to have a tree right in front of your upstairs window :)

Back