Sony This little marvel has got me into street shooting for the first time

jimmy2thou

Regular
Hi All,

Since getting the RX100 I've found myself using it a lot to shoot from the hip on the local streets here. I've never really done the street thing before, so it's a real novelty and i've been out the past 3 nights without fail. It's much more fun than trying to find new landscapes!

Anyway, here are my first street shots from this cam. I also gave it a go with the Oly E-M5 and have posted some in that forum too. Such fun!

sweets.jpg

watching (1).jpg

texting.jpg

going-somewhere.jpg

bored.jpg

lost-delivery-man.jpg

waiting.jpg

fire-truck.jpg

hanging-out (2).jpg

kid-and-pidgeons-colour.jpg

usa-6.jpg

discussions.jpg

different-attention.jpg

locals-chatting.jpg

scratching-his-own-scratchcards-2.jpg

catching-her-eye.jpg

united-colours-of-benetton.jpg

3-men-and-a-bench.jpg

two-different-interests.jpg

I could go on, but I think that's enough for now!! :)

Any tips on improving techniques, composition etc greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Hi All,

Since getting the RX100 I've found myself using it a lot to shoot from the hip on the local streets here. I've never really done the street thing before, so it's a real novelty and i've been out the past 3 nights without fail. It's much more fun than trying to find new landscapes!

Anyway, here are my first street shots from this cam. I also gave it a go with the Oly E-M5 and have posted some in that forum too. Such fun!

View attachment 4423

Any tips on improving techniques, composition etc greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Its fun, isn't it?!?! Stay with it - you're off to a great start. As you get more comfortable doing it you'll hone your technique naturally, you'll learn to anticipate the moments and time your shots. And the shooting part will work its way into your DNA so you won't have to think about it so much and you'll be freer to just use your eyes to see and anticipate. The one above is the strongest of this first batch IMHO - it tells a story, there's some interaction, there's more going on than just some people randomly sitting or walking.

If you enjoy doing it (sounds like you do!) and keep doing it, it'll gradually get to be easier and easier to focus on what matters and the whole process will slow down for you. Good luck - have fun!

-Ray

I agree with Ray, that one he points out is great :) - I don't shoot in the street for long but I find it thrilling and you are going to have a hell of a good time.

Back