• Casio Exilim EX-100 with BW filter only

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Panasonic GX9 + 20mm f1.7 lens

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

melanie.ylang

Top Veteran
Hi friendly forum members,

I'm off to a smalltown car show on the weekend, with a spotlight on unusual Australian-built cars. Help me choose my shooting gear, as I can't decide, but don't want to use my usual Panasonic G85 + PL12-60mm.

Many thanks, and stay tuned for the outcome!

A crowded show would call for the 7-14 to get closer and get complete cars in the frame. But the 20 would be good for environments car + crowd images.

The goal is really important, is it to take static cars or moving, if moving, a longer FOV I find better, but if it is static, I would agree with David, either the 7-14 if it is super crowded, otherwise, the 20.

So in general I’m not a fan of B&W or fixed focal length lenses so I voted for the compacts or the GX9 + 7-14. If you are genuinely considering the 5th option “no camera” consider one of the compacts so you are not gear laden. Maybe even consider just using your phone camera. I have personally completely given up thinking about the best way to capture things and moved on to the best way to enjoy things. Right now my phone camera is a big part of that. I use my real camera gear only when I know I will have fun with it. In the end take what you think will bring the most joy to you and have a great time.

Melanie, I voted for the GX9 and the 20mm 1.7 lens. This is one of my favorite combos and it never disappoints. Plus, the camera and lens are relatively light weight and would not bog you down so you can shoot the show with ease, but also enjoy it as well.

Melanie, I shot my last car show entirely with my 8-25. I had my 12-100 in my bag, but didn't use it at all. Photos here:

Your 12-60 is really ideal for car shows. The 7-14 is too short at the long end, as I discovered with mine. It's why I bought the 8-25 ...
Some nice cars there, John.

I love my PL12-60, but feel like going for something different. Actually, I was hoping the TG-870 I just bought online would have arrived, and I'd have gone with that for fun. That starts at 21mm wide, hence considering the UWA option.

The Pan 20mm is not going to shoot moving subjects very well. It does not support continuous AF.
I have to admit that I shoot manual, af speed or tracking is not something I thought about, but my comment about moving cars and longer fov was actually longer than 20mm, my personal preference is 40 - 85 on mft, I can do less, but really don't like to.

Some nice cars there, John.
Thanks, mate.
None of them were mine ... ;) .
I love my PL12-60, but feel like going for something different. Actually, I was hoping the TG-870 I just bought online would have arrived, and I'd have gone with that for fun. That starts at 21mm wide, hence considering the UWA option.
I understand. However, sometimes it's hard to improve on an all but ideal FL range ...

Thanks for your input! Based on the poll numbers, and unless there's a dramatic change to it in the next 12 hours, I've got the GX9 with P7-14mm and 20mm ready to go. For an extra element of change, I'm planning to shoot 16:9 aspect.

I went to our local Donut Derelict show this morning. Google it, it's worth it.
I took a 24mm on one camera and my 85mm on another. Spent more time talking this weekend than last. I'll stick with my 24-105 next time and only one camera.

To my great disappointment, I was ill and unable to attend the car show. Thank you all for your input, it was a great way to select gear when racked with indecision!

I'm at home, taking care of myself, and cheering myself up with a Olympus Tg-870 which arrived today. It came in its original box with all the included gear, including a floating wrist strap for watery adventures.

IMG_20240708_131451-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

To my great disappointment, I was ill and unable to attend the car show. Thank you all for your input, it was a great way to select gear when racked with indecision!

I'm at home, taking care of myself, and cheering myself up with a Olympus Tg-870 which arrived today. It came in its original box with all the included gear, including a floating wrist strap for watery adventures.

View attachment 480853
Sorry to hear that you are unwell, Melanie.
I hope that you recover fully soon, mate.

Darn, I was really looking forward to some pics from you Melanie. My sister lives in Perth but isn't into cars. I was hoping to see what the 'culture' is like down under.
Get well soon and show us what that new toy can do.

Back