Ricoh Thom Hogan Reviews the Ricoh GXR System

Yes I saw that. I read it and tracked down some raw samples, thinking I had missed something here. I looked at some raw files from the "28" module. Thom Hogan goes on about it being a 12MP sensor, but it actually produces 10MP images. ?? The images I saw looked OK for sharpness, CA and distortion but were nothing special. High ISO looked OK, but again, nothing special. I had a look at the Dpreview jpg samples from the "50" module and they looked much the same.

The system has only 2 APS-C "lensors" and is incredibly expensive. I was expecting more, certainly and I was wondering just what he liked about it so much. Have I actually missed something here? or is this just another CSC with the modular twist?

Nikon expert Thom Hogan has reviewed the Ricoh GXR system. Thom has a strong background and interest in advanced compact cameras as well as mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. His take on the GXR which may surprise some readers. I won't post any spoilers here.

Link: Ricoh GXR Camera Review by Thom Hogan

I think it was a very fair review although I only have the 50mm module. I'm really pleased with mine and it's become my "go to" camera over and above everything else I own. I find the battery life pretty good. My only complaint is the fact that there is no warning of a low battery it simply shuts down when it's done! It feels good in the hand and it's easy to use one-handed.

What do you think of the image quality?

I think it was a very fair review although I only have the 50mm module. I'm really pleased with mine and it's become my "go to" camera over and above everything else I own. I find the battery life pretty good. My only complaint is the fact that there is no warning of a low battery it simply shuts down when it's done! It feels good in the hand and it's easy to use one-handed.

I know it's been compared to the Leica X1 and since I own that too I will compare it!!! In a nutshell, not quite as good but it's a fairly close run. The Leica produces much brighter, sharper looking images that are very workable from RAW. The Ricoh RAWs are not quite as good but still very good indeed. I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the 50mm (33) lens and it's macro capabilities. The images are razor sharp in good light. Focus is still a pain for macro though it's easy enough to use the manual/magnified view option. Having updated the firmware of the Leica X1 recently, I can't say I notice much difference in it's speed and in fact it's developed a couple of other "quirks" since updating :( but that's another tale. In fact today I got the Leica out and fired of twenty or so frames but I find I prefer the Ricoh by a long shot. It just delivers what I want. You can see plenty of my Ricoh shots here in the gallery, all are from RAW.

Back