Those on the East Coast and NE...

hi all, we're safe and dry here on South Shore of Massachusetts... lots of my coworkers and friends up here still don't have power and may not for a few days yet... my family back in CT is okay but many people in CT and NY are devastated with flooding and no power, and CL&P has told them to expect a week or more with no electricity.
The worst damage seems to have happened in Vermont though...the pics that are surfacing from Brattleboro and other areas are just mindblowing.

:(

Yes, the pictures from Vermont are chilling. A cousin of mine just moved up there - she's OK but it's a mess...she's in White River Junction. Our friends in CT are not all with out power but most are...and one pair in particular is going a bit crazy without Internet access...for work and sanity. They keep driving around looking for wifi, electricity and food. Connecticut Light & Power is overwhelmed.:(

I'm glad you and yours are safe and sound, Nicole!

We didn't think we would get off so easily- I live about two blocks from the atlantic ocean in a flood-prone area... we packed up everything we couldn't live without and I stayed over at work this weekend at the hospital, Rob and Bindi stayed with a friend further inland - but because the storm tracked further west than expected, the real impact on the far east coastline of MA was minimal. I am infinitely grateful and acutely aware of how lucky we are.

Yes, glad your all OK, we are getting bits and pieces of news here in Aust but we are learning more from your posts about the real stuff. Keep safe, even after storms there is danger all over the place :-(

Yes, near...we were south of there Avon, NC to Runboat Cir, Frisco, NC 27936 - Google Maps. That is quite a video, Sue and the still photos that are available are even more scary to me. Parts of the island are very over developed, but there are areas where they have, thankfully, had more sense and they're protected parts of the National Seashore. I don't ever remember seeing all those RVs...I guess it was some sort of "camp site" for recreational vehicles.

I appreciate your finding this, Sue. From what I've read there are at least 5 other breaches in this road which is the only main road, and the only road that leads off this stretch of the barrier islands. You can click that link if you want to see where that movie was taken (approximately) and where we were staying...but then zoom out to get a better picture of the barrier islands.

I appreciate your finding this, Sue. From what I've read there are at least 5 other breaches in this road which is the only main road, and the only road that leads off this stretch of the barrier islands. You can click that link if you want to see where that movie was taken (approximately) and where we were staying...but then zoom out to get a better picture of the barrier islands.

Woweee BB!!! I've often heard of the Outer Banks, but I dont think I ever realised just how "out" they were. Its MILES from land.

True, Sue - I'm glad that map was helpful. The residents down there are very tough minded and have a special resiliency. My husband and I have often wondered about retiring down there because we love it so much. I'm not sure I could handle the hurricanes, but I do love the area.

P.S. Here is more but on the northeast: Hurricane Cost Seen as Ranking Among Top Ten (Published 2011)

I don't want to beat the drum on this, but since so many members here are from across the globe, I figured I'd add that link and you'll see there are options to see photographs along the lefthand column. I realize that there are many natural disasters and worse occurring elsewhere.

True, Sue - I'm glad that map was helpful. The residents down there are very tough minded and have a special resiliency. My husband and I have often wondered about retiring down there because we love it so much. I'm not sure I could handle the hurricanes, but I do love the area.

P.S. Here is more but on the northeast: Hurricane Cost Seen as Ranking Among Top Ten (Published 2011)

I don't want to beat the drum on this, but since so many members here are from across the globe, I figured I'd add that link and you'll see there are options to see photographs along the lefthand column. I realize that there are many natural disasters and worse occurring elsewhere.

I was keeping an eye on Rhode Island and Massachusetts. I have friends in Newport and Jamestown, and on Cape Cod at Sth Wellfleet. All of these friends could have been really badly affected but luckily they were not, I think the hurricane swung further inland than expected, and apparently the worst of it missed them. Obviously they still had big seas, trees falling, terrible wind and rain etc... but nothing like it might have been :(

Back