Those on the East Coast and NE...

Thanks so much, Mark and everyone else.

Everyone take care - the rains and lightening are with us now and the wind is picking up. Knock on wood, it blows itself out!

Seems like the worst of it is past for this area. We're in a rain lull for now, with another round of showers coming as the tail of the storm wraps around and will come back through as the storm pulls north. We had some crazy hours last night, several tornado warnings, heavy rain and wind. And the low areas will be flooded for a couple of days. But we came through pretty easily. A couple of spot power outages. Lost cable and internet for a while but nothing serious. Overall, we got through it pretty easily. Now to see what we can do for those who weren't as lucky today.

-Ray

Here at least in our little street and house in Rye, we are AOK. Irene has just been downgraded to a tropical storm. However, it's still packing a wallop. Gusts up to 75mph, waves at 11 feet...but high tide will come to us at 11AM. High tide in NYC was at 8AM.

The Hudson River crested, the East River is up over on to the streets in NYC. We live well outside of the city, along the coast just below Connecticut. We had a windy wild tropical sounding night of rain and now the rain comes and goes - sometimes pouring hard and big giant gusts... We do have power and for that I am very thankful. Rain and flooding are the biggies here, but I believe we are going to be OK as long as we keep power. Hate to speak too soon as the winds are really whipping. I'd love to go down to look at the water around that amusement park I've shown some pictures of lately - Playland....but I'm not going to be driving around right now.

Fingers crossed, buckets filled...

Hoping all of our other members and their families are safe and will remain so.

I'm guessing that Long Island is getting hit pretty hard. Many people are out of power across the area...with very serious flooding. Thankfully many took heed to warnings in the low lying areas, at least that is what I am hearing via the news.

I hope they will be too, Sue. It all depends upon the direction the storm takes...they've got a long way to go before it gets up there. I hope Irene will take herself farther out by that time.

I bet it was in Mamaroneck (which means where the salt water meets the fresh water) which is one town south of us, so yes we are in Westchester County. Our town is Rye and quite a bit was flooded here. My daughter, our dog and I just came back from a short walk. I'll post a picture or two later on. We didn't go too far but a neighbor stopped by and showed me pictures she'd taken off our village (a short walk from my house) and lots of streets are badly flooded. We have a combination of a "brook" - think small river - that runs through our town and we have Long Island Sound...

Mamaroneck has some very low lying areas, again it is another town right on the Sound...and it has another river called The Sheldrake...so it has historically suffered some very bad flooding. :(

Just spoke to my husband who is out riding around on his bicycle and he's informed me that many of our roads are flooded but with the tide going out things are improving...but there is going to be some very serious damage to many people's homes and businesses...still it is nothing like what has happened in some places where they are cut off except by emergency ferry boats, etc.

All in all, our area has been incredibly lucky and from a personal standpoint we've been amazingly lucky. The weathermen were saying that it was thanks to The Outer Banks of NC taking the first hit from Irene and "knocking the stuffing out of her" that the storm downgraded. I guess that's why they're called "barrier islands".

BB,

Good to see you and your family are safe. Please be careful venturing out because the water can be deceptively deep and there can be dangerous objects under the water.

Jason

For anyone who'd like to see a microcosm of what I saw today you can check out some pictures here: Flickriver: Photos from BBW: BB Wylie Walden Late today after the storm passed, the winds picked up and we did have some tree limbs fall and hit our house - fortunately just a broken window or two, nothing at all serious. Parts of our town have flooded badly and businesses and homes have been hurt. I feel kind of silly even posting about my experiences when I know so many have had bad times.

Hope all the other members and their families are safe and sound.

6090461461_28e4c5dce7_b.jpg

Taken with my X100 and the flash.;)

The main storm passed over head at about midnight. The winds were strong and there was no rain to speak of. The morning dawned with the only damage being a loss of a small branch on a very old tree. For us it was a non event. For that we are thankful. Unfortunately 21 of our brothers and sisters to the south of us were not as lucky and my east goes out to them and their families.

I'm here, just exhausted. I did a morning shift with a homeless advocates group.
Then started at 4:00 pm Sat till 03:30 am Sunday with the Police, EMS from the fire Dept and some NG.
I was more a Liason because the people we were helping don't like uniforms.
All told, we got over 200 into safe quarters.

I had my G9 with me but it was completely soaked after 20 minutes.
I dried it out yesterday and it started right up. No issues. I hate this type of situation but I do adore the G9.
Updates later..... Oh, Angel and her 2 kids are now being placed into a foster type housing care.
Don

Don, you and your campadres have done good. The Philly world is a better place for it.

Glad to hear you are AOK and hope you catch up on your rest now. Thank goodness for the respite of today's weather!

Back