Those on the East Coast and NE...

No kidding! We're far enough inland and up high enough that I'm personally most concerned about power outages. So we'll be ready for that, but I'm more concerned with the people who live lower and closer to the shore. It could get ugly.

-Ray

I lived in Jacksonville, FL, and we had enough scares, close one's, and tropical events. Even long sustained 60mph can wreck property or cause power outages. And if these things stall, tons and tons of rain and flooding. Be safe.

Thanks Jason. Right now I'm concerned about Antonio down in Puerto Rico. I emailed him last night.

Our vacation was cut in half due to a mandatory evacuation from the Outer Banks of NC. Arrived home last night. A missed vacation is nothing, however...it's the people and animals, their lives and livelihoods who are impacted by these acts of nature that are important.

Hoping to hear from you, Antonio!

When I heard about this storm on the news the other day my first thought was of you and your holiday BB !
So you must have made a big impression ...

BB,
I didn't realize you were on vacation on the beach in NC. Good you are safe. My uncle in winston-salem says this isn,t a good way to get rid of drought.

Again, anyone that will be effected needs to prepare.

Jason

Glad you made it back safe BB - I was kind of spacing out THAT'S where you were until I saw your posts pop up again and then, "oh YEAH". Glad it wasn't too much trouble getting out...

-Ray

Thanks you guys. I hope that Irene decides to take a hike out east and peters out somewhere at sea.

Yes, we left at the right time, though we were quite sad to leave such a glorious place. Afraid to say I didn't get too many pix but will come up with something, I hope.... Fortunately, I have some good memory snapshots.:drinks:

Actually I'm looking forward to this event. I plan on going into it on the west side and hitching a ride up to BB's house.
I'm bringing my little dog Toto along for the ride.

Funny thing about the earthquake....
Tanya was putting a window fan in the office. After she locked it in place, she turned it on....
Then the house started shaking and she thought she caused it....
No joke.... At the exact moment she turned the fan on.... Boom!
I try to maintain a sense of humor during crisis but I'm really focused on what's going on.
We already have plans, food etc for 5 of our elderly neighbors to stay with us thru the weekend....
Good luck all and take it 1 hour at a time.

Crikey, I'm just back from four nights camping in the Highlands so not heard about any of this. Sorry your holiday was cut short BB. Hope everyone is safe.

Actually I'm looking forward to this event. I plan on going into it on the west side and hitching a ride up to BB's house.
I'm bringing my little dog Toto along for the ride.

Funny thing about the earthquake....
Tanya was putting a window fan in the office. After she locked it in place, she turned it on....
Then the house started shaking and she thought she caused it....
No joke.... At the exact moment she turned the fan on.... Boom!
That earthquake would have scared me pretty seriously if it had been a bit stronger OR if it had lasted about 10 seconds longer. It was just short enough that by the time I was sure of what was happening and starting to contemplate fear, it stopped. And then I was a little freaked out for a bit, but never really felt any fear.

This weekend could be interesting. I've been in sustained winds of about 50-60 with gusts of 70 and it was pretty intense. If this stays around there, I don't think I'll be too freaked out. But SOME of the forecasts are calling for 100-120 even this far inland and THAT could really put the fear of something in me. Man, that's some SERIOUS power - just the noise of it is likely to be overwhelming. Those of you right in the bulls-eye, hang in there. Hopefully we'll all have power back sometime Monday or Tuesday and can all confirm we're OK.

-Ray

Ray, 7 or 8 years ago I was at Cape Hatteras when the hurricane hit. My friends house is built on 12' stilts. Underneath the house he has a 73 Vette parked. Beautiful Candy Apple Red.
Anyway, we left the island and 4 days later returned to access the damage... we walked on even ground to the front door of the house. The sand was up over 12' high and the vette was buried under the sand.....
That was I think a Cat 1 hurricane when it hit...
This is a big one on the way.... I volunteered to help get the homeless off the street tomorrow morning. I'll be in town till around noon.....
Be safe allabody..... don

You're a good man Don. We have Sunday season tickets for the Phils and since they cancelled Sunday's game and moved it to tomorrow afternoon, we're SUPPOSED to go to that. But if things are starting up the way I'm hearing, baseball just sounds too trivial - don't know if I'd be able to keep my mind in the game anyway. Better to be doing something useful like what you're doing...

Hang in there.

-Ray

Please let us all know ASAP if your ok! Even if you jump on here on your phones!!

I hope it's not as bad as they are saying and that the evacuation plans work to save everyone!

Thinking about BB and all you others that maybe in the 'way' of this Hurricane keep safe, heard on our 12.00 news that it had been down graded but that all public transport had ceased in NY never been heard of before!

Back