Fuji thoughts about changing from mFT to Fuji

the Tif

Rookie
Name
Tim F.
Hi Everybody,

this is my first post, at the Moment i´m using a microFT setup as my main main Camerasystem (PEN, with the Triniy lenses 12-17-45 equal->24-35-90 in 35mm terms). I´m quite happy with this Lenssetup, and was only waiting for a Rangefinderbody with EVF to complete my dream Travel set.

As the rumors saying that the next PEN still wont feature a integrated VF i start to look at the Fuji Ex1- it kind of looks like the Camera i m waiting for from Olympus for a few years now. I borrowd a X100 from a friend over a year ago and loved the look and feel-but the slow AF kept me from buying one for myself. As the new X100s seems to have a faster AF, i ll keep a close look at the future development of the Ex1. Since the X20&X100s developt into the right direction im really hoping that Fuji keeps that way.

Until the next E-X is announced i ll think about buying a X20 as a backup Camera&start to read here to get some user based inforation about the Lenses, and the Cameras in the (potential) new System.

greetings from Germany

Tim

herzliche wilkommen, Tim. I left m43 and shot with the X100 for around a year. I didn't miss very many shots because of AF speed. I think you learn to work around stuff like that. If action shots are a BIG part of what you shoot, it probably isn't the right system for you, but the improvements in speed are coming.

I think your plan to buy an X20 is a sound one.

Yes, Tim... your plan to ease into Fuji ownership with the X20 seems prudent and well thought. It'll give you the time you need to discover if the Olympus rumors are correct and whether you like living with a Fuji on a long-term basis - before you spend substantial money.

Hi and welcome.
One thought for you. Although you borrowed an X100 for a while, that is not the same as owning one and using it regularly. As it has one of Fuji's major innovations, why not consider a used X100?

Tim-first of all, welcome to the forum. I didn't shift away from MFT, but added the X system as well to my shooting stable for the same reason many did- the great design, analog controls, and hybrid OVF/EVF. I did consider the X-E1 briefly because, to your point, it was the digital Pen Olympus should have made years ago. But, I could not justify another EVF only camera since I already had my Pens and the VF2, and I wanted the OVF for certain types of shooting situations.

I agree with the rest of the folks, easing into the X system with either a used x100 or an X10/X20 is a great way to get used to the camera. I concur with Luke, you should not have to miss focus on photos you shoot with an X100 if you try not to use it like a Dslr or even an MFT. It just shoots differently, in the same way a film SLR shots differently from a rangefinder, and you adjust your shooting approach and even the types of subjects you shoot, to the camera you are using.

Look forward to seeing your photos. Are you a regular on our sister site, the mu43 forum!

Thanks for the nice welcome and the ideas. Actually i start to think about buying a used X100 - if the price drops a bit when the X100s is on the Market- instead of the X20. 35mm always was my fav Lens, and if I get used to the AF it really would be a great addition to my mFT stuff.

Anyways, i ll wait until Olympus really announce the nex PEN before buying a new Camera->still, the X100 is on my mind since i first saw it.

@mu43 forum- im not there, because i was in a german forum on mFT first, and dont like too many sides to browse to.

Welcome Tim. I have an extensive µ4/3 setup (OM-Ds) and a pretty complete Fuji setup (X-Pro 1), I find them to be very different cameras. So different that it would be very difficult to part with either system. The OM-D is a very fast and responsive camera. A dream to use for moving subjects. Very similar to a dSLR in that I can consistently get the exceptional image, the defining photo, the decisive moment, 'The Shot' almost as a reaction to what I am viewing. The Fuji is quite different, with the Fuji I have to anticipate 'The Shot' in order to get the image capture I desire. A lot more pre-thinking with the X-Pro 1 as opposed to quick reactions. For me they are two very different camera systems. Both systems deliver stellar images, the µ4/3 a bit more digital-ish ... the Fuji a bit more film-esque. Somedays I'm hungry for enchiladas, rice and beans and another day prime ribs, baked potato and steamed veggies.

Gary

PS- I recognized the Pen series is more Fuji like than the OM-D ... just tossed out my two-cents.
G

I'd like to pick up on Luke's comments.

It's possible to fall into over generalizing with cameras. Certainly the X series is likely not a great choice for fast action. Outside of that though, I would caution against characterizing the AF as slow, or the Xs only bei g good for more deliberate photography. As Luke pointed out, he didn't miss much with his X100 once he learned how to use it.

I've used my X-Pro 1 in situations where there was only an instant in which to capture the moment. The AF was fine; precise, and accurate. I mostly use the OVF. in my view, unless you have a specific need for very very fast AF, there s nothing to lose in the current XE.

Welcome Tim. If the 35mm (EFL) is your favorite point of view, I'd really seriously consider the X100. With the latest 1.3 firmware I don't find the focus especially slow, although unless you can find a good contrast spot, it can be sluggish in low, indoor light. I had the X10 and liked it a lot. I love the X100, and 35mm is not my "natural" point of reference.

As for jumping the m4/3 ship and going Fuji X. Not yet. The E-M5 is my micro 4/3 camera, and it will do just about anything I want of it, and do it well. But the optical hybrid finder in the X100 has me hooked. There are rumors that a hybrid four thirds/micro four thirds camera is going to be released by Olympus some time late this year -- a kind of E7/EM7 hybrid. If it also sports a hybrid optical/evf finder, Olympus will probably keep me, as they have for decades. If not, I'd probably get an XPro-1. Now that I've experienced the hybrid finder, I doubt I'd get the X-E1. The E-M5 fills what it would do nicely.

But if Olympus doesn't include a hybrid finder in the E-M5 update, I'll probably update with a Fuji, keeping the E-M5 but gradually upgrading with Fuji X. I'm in love with the hybrid finder, which I use as an optical finder 90% of the time.

I really liked the hybrid finder when i tryed the X100-that and the external aperture ring where the two things i liked the most. So i really will look for a good price at my photo dealer as soon as the X100s hits the market.

Actually i m positivly surprised how many user here use both mFT and Fuji - maybe because of the sister forum ;)

Hi, Tim, und herzlich willkommen im Forum. I had a Nikon D7000 set-up, and added an X100 for a lightweight, always with me camera. This resulted in me using the Fuji almost exclusively for a year. As has been said, you don't miss many shots once you learn the camera's foibles.

I bought the OM-D E-M5, just to give me more options: while I find the X100's 23mm perfect for everyday use, I also like wide-angle a lot, and I like to have something longer for portraits.

A used X100 sounds like a good idea: my tip: check out dslr-forum.de: I have bought and sold often on there, always had a good experience. You need to be a member for a while before you can sell, but you can buy any time.

I really liked the hybrid finder when i tryed the X100-that and the external aperture ring where the two things i liked the most.
I love the hybrid viewfinder. I also liked the aperture ring on the X100, but once I'd used the aperture rings on the X-Pro lenses, I didn't like the one on the X100 much anymore. I find it really irritating that it only works on full stops on the aperture scale. The X-Pro / XE1 lenses have a click every third of a stop and even my lowly LX7's aperture ring clicks every third of a stop. I was really bummed to hear that they hadn't upgraded the aperture ring on the X100s - it just doesn't make sense to me. Even the X20, which doesn't have an aperture ring, gives you a single aperture control that gives you 1/3 stops. I'd rather have a non-ring control that allows more discrete steps than a ring that's only good for full stops and you can then get more precise by using a second control on the back, but you can't override the ring and just use the control on the back - anything other than full stops is a two step, two control process. To me, that's more of a PIA than a not having a ring in the first place. That's one of the things that has me leaning pretty strongly against getting an X100s, despite some of its other pretty cool improvements. So I'm very likely just to keep my Fuji system consolidated around the X-Pro and see if future bodies are a little better in the AF department and, if so, if they are with the existing lenses or just with next generation lenses. I'm mostly OK with the AF as it is, but there are times in low light where it has sent me running to grab my OMD.

-Ray

'm mostly OK with the AF as it is, but there are times in low light where it has sent me running to grab my OMD.

-Ray

I read on another forum that the AF is better in low light using AF-C for some reason. I never tried it before I returned my X-E1, have you? I wonder whether it makes a difference at all.

thanks again fo all this feedback.

I m now quite sure that ill buy a X100 when the prices go down a bit, as a walkalong Camera and keep my mFT Set as main System for now. Especially because this is much cheaper then a complete change. ;)
If i totally fail for fuji, i can change later to the next generation.

@Ron
dslr-Forum.de is my fav place to buy used gear as well ;)

I still have my GF2 Panasonic. I dust it off now and again and give the old gal a run out at night. It took what I believe is (still) the best shot I have ever taken with it. In fact, I am thinking of adding my favourite lens....the Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4. It is a lovely, lovely lens and I regret p/x'ing it when I got my 5d. For me, it is a cheaper scenario than buying an M adapter and M lens to put on the X-E1

Back