Micro 4/3 Thoughts on coming OM-5

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I had a random thought and I thought I’d ask our extensive mu 43 community for an opinion. If the new OM5 is really going to use the same stacked sensor, could they make it with only electronic shutter? It would make the camera lighter and they could go back to a metal case. It would also make it cheaper, although I don’t know how much cheaper. Still, if they do plan to use the stacked sensor, that could really distinguish the OM5 from the OM1 lines.

The only thing that I've seen, even in the OM-1, is that they have not really handled rolling shutter to what a lot may consider an acceptable level.
Now, if you are not going to use if for sports, then that sentence above may not be applicable to you.

The only thing that I've seen, even in the OM-1, is that they have not really handled rolling shutter to what a lot may consider an acceptable level.
Now, if you are not going to use if for sports, then that sentence above may not be applicable to you.
I went looking around and I haven't found anything really bad about rolling shutter in the OM-1. Do you remember where you saw this?

I doubt if they would make it a electronic-only shutter. Concerning the metal body, from what I have come to understand, the plastic body in the E-M5.3 probably was not to save weight, it was to save cost. For example, an E-M10.2 has a metal body and the same battery as the E-M5.3. So it can be done and still maintain a light weight. I have hopes that the OM-5 will at least have a metal bottom plate (I don't find the E-M5.3 objectionable at all, feeling-wise).

Plus a lot of other fairly simple things I want, like MyMenu, better Custom modes (a few on the dial), plus not-so-simple HHHR (as fast as on the E-M1.3 would be acceptable, because of perhaps lack of processing power). :)

I doubt if they would make it a electronic-only shutter. Concerning the metal body, from what I have come to understand, the plastic body in the E-M5.3 probably was not to save weight, it was to save cost. For example, an E-M10.2 has a metal body and the same battery as the E-M5.3. So it can be done and still maintain a light weight. I have hopes that the OM-5 will at least have a metal bottom plate (I don't find the E-M5.3 objectionable at all, feeling-wise).

Plus a lot of other fairly simple things I want, like MyMenu, better Custom modes (a few on the dial), plus not-so-simple HHHR (as fast as on the E-M1.3 would be acceptable, because of perhaps lack of processing power). :)
The E-shutter-only version would be a risk and would need to drop the price a noticeable amount to be an acceptable risk. That's a tough call and I have no idea how OMDS works. The worst e-shutter problem I see is not rolling shutter but more noise at high iso, which would be particularly bad for mu43. OTOH, make it out of metal even if it does raise the price. A lot of folks were put off by the all plastic body.

The OM-1 was probably largely designed by Olympus and I'm not sure if the OM-5 was being designed by the same group or if the OM-5 will reflect a bit more of what the design team has become in OMDS.

Rolling shutter is reduced on the O-M1 compared to the E-M1 iii, but the 80mp sensor wirh only 20mp output hurts it in that regard. The much higher effective output Nikon Z9 is considerably faster still in terms of sensor readout

Rolling shutter is reduced on the O-M1 compared to the E-M1 iii, but the 80mp sensor wirh only 20mp output hurts it in that regard. The much higher effective output Nikon Z9 is considerably faster still in terms of sensor readout
I suspect the Z9 does a whole lotta things faster. :geek: If I was reading things correctly, that 80 to 20 averaging was for noise reasons. I’m not sure how well it works, of course.

I suspect the Z9 does a whole lotta things faster. :geek: If I was reading things correctly, that 80 to 20 averaging was for noise reasons. I’m not sure how well it works, of course.
The Z9's flash sync speed is 1/200. What's the OM1 sync speed in E shutter? That will tell you how fast or slow it is. I honestly thought m4/3 would be first to the party here, but they seem to have missed the boat for some reason

The Z9's flash sync speed is 1/200. What's the OM1 sync speed in E shutter? That will tell you how fast or slow it is. I honestly thought m4/3 would be first to the party here, but they seem to have missed the boat for some reason
Olympus could have had Sony make a stacked sensor, unless Sony didn’t have the capacity to spare or Olympus didn’t have the money to spend. I think Panasonic got caught up in DFD and distracted by FF.

Last edited:
It is a Sony sensor, just with a needlessly large numberof photosites. It was always intended to have a 20mp output; the 4 times oversampling is only used for PDAF. And autofocus is apparently great, but not blowing the competition out of the water, so it seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Native 20mp would have a much faster readout speed, enabling electronic-only shutter like the Z9.

Oversampling 80mp could've been used in a quad Bayer pattern like some phones do, meaning at the 20mp output level there's no longer any need for demosaicing, increasing its resolution and color gradation compared to a native 20mp sensor.

Alternatively, oversampling 80mp could've been used to maintain the 20mp Bayer grid, but with 2 high sensitivity photosites and 2 low sensitivity photosites for each output pixel, giving greater dynamic range.

Or we could've simply been given an 80mp bayer grid with the choice of full res images or oversampled 20mp images, although that would seriously test some lenses.

Especially given that autofocus is not miles ahead of the competition (and was really quite good on the E-M1 iii already), the route Olympus / OMDS chose to go with this sensor is my least favourite of all the options I can imagine for it...

I had a random thought and I thought I’d ask our extensive mu 43 community for an opinion. If the new OM5 is really going to use the same stacked sensor, could they make it with only electronic shutter? It would make the camera lighter and they could go back to a metal case. It would also make it cheaper, although I don’t know how much cheaper. Still, if they do plan to use the stacked sensor, that could really distinguish the OM5 from the OM1 lines.
Based on the rumor, my guess is that OM-5 would be in EM5 or Pen-F form factor (based on having just one card slot). But I think it will be bigger than the older versions of those two, whichever it will be due to the use of same battery as OM-1. So far, I am really happy with my new OM-1 after a few months of uses.

Last edited:
P9181047.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have been shooting BIF and have not noticed rolling shutter issues. This plane at an Airshow last weekend shows some prop curl.

That's pretty good. I saw the prop curl pretty quickly, but you said it was there in your comments and I knew where to look. If I can get this image quality in the smaller OM-5, it will be tempting. Mu43 has lot of very nice lenses.

Back