Fuji Thoughts on the Fuji 60mm f/2.4 Macro?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I've been enjoying my Fuji X-E1, purchased on closeout for $499. With the latest firmware, it's really just fine even if the X-E2 is a bit better. I picked up the 18mm and 27mm at the same time and I'm thinking about adding one or two more lenses with the credit I have left with Amazon.com.

Up front, I have to say the very newest and best Fuji lenses are generally out of the picture for me due to cost. But I suppose if I see a strong enough argument, I could perhaps purchase one of the more-expensive lenses versus two less-expensive lenses. But my collection of Fuji lenses will stop there for quite a while.

But, right now, I'm thinking about picking up the 35mm for its speed (I actually like the FOV from the 27mm a bit more) and possibly the 60mm macro. The 35mm has gotten consistently good reviews but I haven't heard much about the 60mm. Can anyone give me some real-world feedback? I'm open to all suggestions.

If you accept the 60mm Macro for what it is its a fine lens. Its a Macro lens first, then a portrait lens in my view.

It works well for handheld macro and also on a tripod. Now that I have the 56 F1.2 I doubt that I'll use it much for portraits. Before I got the 56mm is was the lens I used. Not fast focusing but then again, macro and portraits don't require great focus speed.

The only question I have personally, is if I need a macro lens for the X kit. Then again, for the price its a sharp, light easy to have along lens.

If you accept the 60mm Macro for what it is its a fine lens. Its a Macro lens first, then a portrait lens in my view.

It works well for handheld macro and also on a tripod. Now that I have the 56 F1.2 I doubt that I'll use it much for portraits. Before I got the 56mm is was the lens I used. Not fast focusing but then again, macro and portraits don't require great focus speed.

The only question I have personally, is if I need a macro lens for the X kit. Then again, for the price its a sharp, light easy to have along lens.
same here

I did like this lens the least in the Fuji lineup so I sold it. It had problems with (auto)focus, so I used manual focusing mainly. It's hard to say why I did not particularly like the results. It's a sharp lens but it just did not work for me. If you want to use the 60mm for macro (although it's not true macro), perhaps you can consider buying a manual focus lens?

I tried one and found it to be interesting . Terrible auto focus in low light, but buttery bokeh. I wont say 56 smooth, which I eventually bought, but portrait worthy for sure. What killed it for me was it would hunt and hunt forever sometimes and then just give up.

I tried one and found it to be interesting . Terrible auto focus in low light, but buttery bokeh. I wont say 56 smooth, which I eventually bought, but portrait worthy for sure. What killed it for me was it would hunt and hunt forever sometimes and then just give up.

Seems to be common for macro lenses - a focus limiter switch helps on my Oly 60mm.

Back