Leica Thoughts on the recent Summarit f2.4 series lenses?

carlb

All-Pro
I'm not seeing much (if anything) for real reviews of the recent Summarit f2.4 lenses: 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 90mm. Just the usual parroting of manufacturer press release selling points.

I'm most interested in a 90mm for portrait and short telephoto, the f2.4 Summarit looks like a great proposition on-paper. Smaller, not too pricey.

Anyone read of or have direct experience with lenses in this series? Unfortunately, there are no stores carrying Leica lenses around here to go give one a try ...

For what I know is a good lens, especially if you like a modern render, very sharp. By the way the new f2.4 it is the same of the previous summarit f2.5, so if you are not interested in the latest version or to the chrome version, I suggest you to look for the 90/2.5 that comes at an even lower (discounted) price.

I had the 90mm f/2.5 Summarit. Good lens, but we just didn't bond. Mostly because I had trouble focusing it well. Was great optically.

I own the 90mm 2.5. Not much to say except that it is a beautiful lens. Very sharp, beautiful rendering, and feels as nice as any of my other Leica lenses. I also own the 35mm 2.5 which is, again, a beautifully performing lens.

i can vouch for the 75/2.5 summarit. it renders just beautifully with a wonderfully smooth transition to oof and very calm bokeh. also much pop and smack on color. got mine for well under a grand.

Thanks. The 90mm doesn't fair too badly in that review.

I've depleted my lens funds with the recent 21mm SEM purchase, so I'll wait and save a bit more money toward a later 90mm purchase.

im curious about this whole 'line'. does anyone know/understand the thinking/reason behind these 2.4s on the heels of their 2.5 series of a few years ago? are there alleged performance differences? were the 2.5s a horrible mistake, like the m5, he asked tongue in cheek? i honestly dont get the point of it...

You can read Peter's 75mm 2.5 review to find the answer of 2.5 line:) 2.4 versions has shorter mfd...
The Leica 75mm Summarit f/2.5 (short review).

im curious about this whole 'line'. does anyone know/understand the thinking/reason behind these 2.4s on the heels of their 2.5 series of a few years ago? are there alleged performance differences? were the 2.5s a horrible mistake, like the m5, he asked tongue in cheek? i honestly dont get the point of it...

thanks for the info, but i guess im still scratching my head. the article starts with the conclusion the 75/2.5 is optically excellent 'period', then goes on to provide support. the bokeh is great and compares to the summilux. the handling is superb. the mfd is .9 meters vs the summilux--thats the summilux--
.75. look, i understand this may mean something to some people though it means virtually nothing to me. but to create a whole 'nuther line to cannabalize the 2.5 'optically excellent' summarits for .15m mfd? no, i still cant wrap my head around that.

anyway, i have the 75/2.5 and i love it in every way, especially for the price. the rendering brings a smile to my face every time i use it--it has a singular quality i cannot put my finger on. i use it as the portriat lens it was intended to be, not as a macro lens, which neither it nor the 2.4 summarit are designed to be. i highly recommend it on that basis. when i want to shoot macro, i use a lens for that purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back