Feedback Thread alerts vanishing

I haven't noticed that, but honestly I haven't looked that closely. I know that @MoonMind (Matt) has mentioned merging some threads recently, I wonder if that might be a cause? Just a thought.

- K
Not totally impossible, but very unlikely - especially since I always leave a (temporary) redirect.

I think there's something else going on, possibly concerning cookie handling ... No real idea, though. I've never had that happen to me, nor heard of it.

EDIT: I can probably tell you if an affected thread was recently handled (moved/merged).

M.

Not totally impossible, but very unlikely - especially since I always leave a (temporary) redirect.

I think there's something else going on, possibly concerning cookie handling ... No real idea, though. I've never had that happen to me, nor heard of it.

M.
I agree it's unlikely to be related to merging, but I was just throwing out a thought.

I think these notifications are tracked by the server, not via a cookie, based on the fact that they work for me across multiple devices/ browsers.

- K

I agree it's unlikely to be related to merging, but I was just throwing out a thought.

I think these notifications are tracked by the server, not via a cookie, based on the fact that they work for me across multiple devices/ browsers.

- K
I wasn't talking about the "watch" feature - I completely agree about your assessment there.

I think it might be something to do with login status - but I simply don't remember what things look like when I'm not logged in ...

M.

@MoonMind Matt, thanks for looking into this.

It is mainly to do with threads that I have contributed / posted to. I just suddenly stop getting notifications. This info is stored in the site's database, not on the local device, as Keith (@DeeJayK ) mentioned, as evidenced by the list being the same on different devices.

It would be very strange for the site database to separately track these for the same user on different devices, and I have not seen any evidence that suggests to me that this is the case. I am permanently logged in on one PC, two tablets and my phone.

The observed behaviour is erratic (ugh!), and often occurs when I have only been using one device for days, i.e. my main tablet.

I'm finding that my watched threads 'unwatch' themselves when 1) a new page starts, and 2) if I fail to visit it for about 24 hours!

Sometimes this just seems to happen completely arbitrarily ...

It's weird.

Anyone else having this sort of problem?
Honestly, it's the first I've seen of somebody reporting that a previously watched thread has become unwatched so I don't have a suggestion on anything to check out. From a system perspective, there is nothing behind-the-scenes that would unwatch somebody who is watching a thread.

The only thing coming to mind at the moment is that the behavior of 'watched' threads is only to give an alert once per thread update, not for every update. That means if you get an alert on Monday for a watched thread but you don't visit the thread until Saturday then you won't get alerts for any additional new updates on Tues/Wed/Thu/Fri.

I'm an admin on another Xenforo forum, and it occasionally behaves in a less than intuitive way. Still far better than vBulletin though, by a long way.

[Edit] There might be some kind of built in time out switch? However, I am almost constantly active, except when in the pool, at the doctor, or asleep! [End edit]

Back