Three Castles

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2013
Cheshire, England
Martin Connolly
Took a small road trip yesterday while the sun was shining. The "three castles" were all built around 1200 by the Norman lord Hubert de Burgh. He certainly knew where to build a castle - the scenery in that part of north Monmouthshire is stunning.

Grosmont:

Grosmont Castle mono by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

Grosmont Castle interior by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

Skenfrith:

Skenfrith Castle by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

and the daddy of the three, White Castle:

View attachment 98011
White Castle #1 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

White Castle #2 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

View attachment 98013
White Castle #3 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2013
Cheshire, England
Martin Connolly
You really have some nice collection, these castle are outrageous, it's really hard to make these kind of building in that time. I think the authorities should take some serious care of them.
All those 3 castles are under the care of Cadw, the Welsh heritage organisation. They are quite well looked after which is amazing considering that only White Castle has an entrance fee (£3).

D

dalethorn

Visualizing now - the plucky young warriors scaling those walls while valiant defenders employ cudgel and mace to fend them off. I would love to photograph the reenactments, if there are such things.

Ray Sachs

Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Not too far from Philly
you should be able to figure it out...
That first image is an absolute classic. At first I was thinking I was just a sucker for B&W, but it's really more about the bridge leading the eye into the heart of the image, and the clouds accentuating the whole thing. Brilliant stuff...

-Ray

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2013
Cheshire, England
Martin Connolly
That first image is an absolute classic. At first I was thinking I was just a sucker for B&W, but it's really more about the bridge leading the eye into the heart of the image, and the clouds accentuating the whole thing. Brilliant stuff...

-Ray
Thanks Ray! I chose that particular angle partly for the geometry, and partly to avoid the large group of picnicking ramblers who were arrayed within the castle walls :)
The B&W was done in Silver Efex Pro - IIRC it was the "wet rocks" preset plus a green filter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom