Leica Three days of miniscule celebrity: flickr 'Explore'

carlb

All-Pro
Had my first ever photo put into flickr's 'Explore' collection. Holy-flying-bundt-cakes: eleven-thousand-plus views.

Started with my usual contacts saying a few nice things ("Not bad..." "Hey, it's in focus!").

Then a "Congrats on the explore!" Huh?

After which a boatload of ephemeral "Favorites" and "Beautifuls!" "Gorgeouses!" "Wows!", i.e., one-or-two-word descriptors punctuated with exclamation points! Kept up for three days!

Things have died down now. Back to the twosie-threesie photo views and an occasional "Nice exposure."

I like this one a lot, but I've many others I thought better. Life and the internet are strange.

21069461698_d0e5b71f32_b.jpg
rice creek at lexington - westward
by Carl B, on Flickr

Could I even try to repeat this? More like lightening or the lotto - maybe I shouldn't? Heh!

Leica M9, SEM ASPH 21mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my first ever photo put into flickr's 'Explore' collection. Holy-flying-bundt-cakes: eleven-thousand-plus views.

Started with my usual contacts saying a few nice things ("Not bad..." "Hey, it's in focus!").

Then a "Congrats on the explore!" Huh?

After which a boatload of ephemeral "Favorites" and "Beautifuls!" "Gorgeouses!" "Wows!", i.e., one-or-two-word descriptors punctuated with exclamation points! Kept up for three days!

Things have died down now. Back to the twosie-threesie photo views and an occasional "Nice exposure."

I like this one a lot, but I've many others I thought better. Life and the internet are strange.

21069461698_d0e5b71f32_b.jpg
rice creek at lexington - westward
by Carl B, on Flickr

Could I even try to repeat this? More like lightening or the lotto - maybe I shouldn't? Heh!

Leica M9, SEM ASPH 21mm.

If you do get one back on the Explore pages, the comments should be a good comparison to measure how well your image resonates with the people there. This one was certainly worthy.

Very nice! I had a similar experience - the one image I had explored was not one I would have expected to be. Fun while it lasts!

Had one of my recent shots explored (my second so far) with 10.7k views, and the number is still rising. I'd like to know what sort of algorithm they - Yahoo - use to choose what's explored or not.

No idea really. It would be interesting to hear what it is ...

And congrats!
And congrats to you too!!
The main thing is to enjoy one's photography. I only started using Flickr as a hosting platform, but then started following others who's photography I admire. But this follow and following thing is abused by some, trying to spring board themselves ito explore. How sad!

Back