Apple Ticked at Apple

It freezes as soon as iTunes pops up. I had a few conversations with Apple when it was new but the end result was that lugging a 27" Mac to a shopping mall to the nearest Apple store did not appeal greatly and so I just put up with it. Now, Lightroom freezes it once or twice a week :(

I'm actually detesting Yosemite. I'm in the beta test group (not the public beta) and it seems that even more bugs have been introduced. I am seriously considering dropping back to Mavericks (I have a cloned drive) and maybe even as far as ML. I just do not like what Jony Ive has done with the interface. He's a great industrial designer, but his UI efforts completely leave me cold.

I got a message on my Mac this morning telling me I haven't got enough RAMs. My son in law looked at it for me and it would seem that Yosemite needs a minimum of 8gb to run comfortably. Cost me £60 but at least I won't have to pay anyone to install it for me.

My 4 year old iMac with 8 gig of ram is running just fine.
But I'll be sticking to Mavericks as long as possible. My iPhone is safe enough but I may resist the next software upgrade and my iPad too. My biggest gripe is not being able to delete the apps I'll never use .
Eye iz a billder n eye ! I don't want stocks n shares ticket wallets and passbooks! I don't do games or listen to podcasts . I'd like to decide what takes up space on my device .

Kind of reminds me of Mark Newsome and the Pentax K-01, in a way.
Well, he and Marc are of the same mind, really. Probably why Marc now works for Apple. I dread the next iteration of the hardware. Speaking of which, it (the hardware) has been locked down even more, and there don't seem to be any user serviceable parts at all. Not even RAM. I'm beginning to tire of the nonsense, even though I am an Apple fan. (not for much longer). I'll be building a Hackint0sh, and running Mountain Lion or Mavericks. (Heads off to the Insanely Mac forums)

I tell you, Sue... I just don't know what my next move should be. I like each iteration of OS and iOS less than the one before it. And there's no question that I am not going to tolerate the performance of my iPad 2 for much longer. I might be able to get by with the iPhone 4s longer since I don't do much beyond phone calls and texting on it very much. The problem is, I'm not in love with any of the alternatives, either.

My brother has been an Apple guy from the beginning, and this is the first time I've heard him annoyed with Apple. The latest thing he complained to me about was Apple bringing out the 5K iMac right after he paid the big bucks for a Mac Pro, the latter of which has no options for an Apple-branded 5K display.

I just got the iPhone 6 Plus after years and years of Android phones. So far I like it, but it's not all good. Some thoughts about that switch:

-Idle battery drain way lower than what I'm used to
-LTE signal noticeably better than any of my recent Android phones (Galaxy Note 2, LG G2)
-FaceTime is more useful to me than any of the Android alternatives since other family members are using iPhones/iPads/Macs

Dislike:
-Alternative keyboards can't do dictation / speech to text (such a weird limitation)
-Stock keyboard doesn't change letters capitalization (have to look at shift key)
-No back button
-Most controls for menu, back, are at top of screen (can't reach with one hand)
-Can't move app icons closer to the bottom of the screen (can't reach with one hand)
-Neither Overcast nor Apple's podcast app is as good as Doggcatcher
-Have to dig into menus to globally disable/enable GPS
-When browsing on Android, the harder I swipe up/down, the faster the page scrolls. On iOS it's just one kinda slow speed - painful to scroll past a bunch of article.

With regards to the new OSs running poorly on old hardware, isn't that a longstanding Apple tradition? They count on their users to upgrade hardware early and often.

With regards to the new OSs running poorly on old hardware, isn't that a longstanding Apple tradition? They count on their users to upgrade hardware early and often.

Well, yes and no. They count on Mac users to upgrade early and often and do try to encourage that behavior. But, usually, the first real update of any new OS or iOS (iOS 8.1 versus 8.0.1 for example) usually brings performance on older hardware at least to acceptable levels. This is the worst I've ever experienced.

Hey All,

As I understand it one of Steve Jobs original apple computers made in his garage will auction next month. Expected price is like $600,000 which as I understand it would make it one of the more affordable apple computers! :D

-Ed-

Really... only in recent years. My ancient eMac ran Leopard (the last PPC OSX) quite happily. It began its life with Panther. I got 6 years out of it. The iMac that came next started with Tiger, and I eventually sold it a couple of years ago running Snow Leopard (that was 4 years worth)... I suspect my Mini will be unable to upgrade many more times. Then again, back then, it was a new OS every two years, not every year.

I have MacBook Air with Yosemite and iPad Air with all the latest updates and everything works ABSOLUTELY perfect.. My phone is a Samsung Note 3 (Android) and it works great.. both are GREAT OS systems.. No problems.. I think if you are using older equipment with the newer OS updates you will probably encounter some slight problems.. I know it's hard to keep up and expensive.. buy new today.. outdated in 1 yr or less.. :) however, if you want less problems buy the latest and greatest.. You can't expect a 1yr+ old phone, computer etc to perform like the new models.. IF they did, all those companies would go broke.. :)
~Doug

I tell you, Sue... I just don't know what my next move should be. I like each iteration of OS and iOS less than the one before it. And there's no question that I am not going to tolerate the performance of my iPad 2 for much longer. I might be able to get by with the iPhone 4s longer since I don't do much beyond phone calls and texting on it very much. The problem is, I'm not in love with any of the alternatives, either.

i opted for a 5S instead of a 6 this year and am happy with the decision. I've tried to like android (I've had 3 android phones) but I just cant. And the intrusiveness of google right there ticks me off, too. Still using my iPad3 (get a 4 if you want to upgrade, try to get one that hasnt been updated to iOS8)

OSwise... I've seriously considered a switch to Linux, The Elementary distro is quite nice but needs a bit more maturity, I think. Its based on Ubuntu but has been constructed to be OSX-like, which appeals to me. Bloody awful background as the default, though :) The fast, open, and privacy-respecting replacement for Windows and macOS ⋅ elementary OS

Oh... I forgot to mention earlier... even though my 24" screen can do (and has been doing) a 1920x1080 resolution.. with Yosemite, I have had to drop it back to 1600x1000 to make it readable for me. Not happy, at all.

Like in the browser? Just swipe across the screen from left to right.

On Android phones, the back button undoes anything you've just done on the phone. Helpful in many situations. I see that the swipe you mentioned is gaining wider support across iOS apps, but it's not the same.

i opted for a 5S instead of a 6 this year and am happy with the decision. I've tried to like android (I've had 3 android phones) but I just cant. And the intrusiveness of google right there ticks me off, too. Still using my iPad3 (get a 4 if you want to upgrade, try to get one that hasnt been updated to iOS8)

OSwise... I've seriously considered a switch to Linux, The Elementary distro is quite nice but needs a bit more maturity, I think. Its based on Ubuntu but has been constructed to be OSX-like, which appeals to me. Bloody awful background as the default, though :) The fast, open, and privacy-respecting replacement for Windows and macOS ⋅ elementary OS

Oh... I forgot to mention earlier... even though my 24" screen can do (and has been doing) a 1920x1080 resolution.. with Yosemite, I have had to drop it back to 1600x1000 to make it readable for me. Not happy, at all.

I'm going to sniff around for an original iPad Air that still has iOS 7 on it. The same with an iPhone 5s. Meanwhile... Elementary's Luna looks very interesting. I don't think I'd want to blow out my iMac to install it. But I might try it on an inexpensive laptop and see where it takes me.

I've extended the life of older hardware by loading lightweight Ubuntu on them. This works great for people that just want to surf the web, work on simple documents, etc.

I've got an old Macbook Pro lying about. Maybe I'll give it a try there...

I've got to say - Apple really half assed their 3rd party keyboard implementation in iOS8. For example I can use a 3rd party keyboard in Gmail on the iPhone but it doesn't work when trying to write an app review. Nor does it automatically revert to the default keyboard. It just breaks.

I've always thought of Apple as holding back functionality until they get it right, while Google just throws it out there half assed and iterates until it's right. This time Apple was late AND half assed.

I've extended the life of older hardware by loading lightweight Ubuntu on them. This works great for people that just want to surf the web, work on simple documents, etc.

I've got an old Macbook Pro lying about. Maybe I'll give it a try there...

Luna or Ubuntu? Frankly, I'd love to hear how either works out.

I've got to say - Apple really half assed their 3rd party keyboard implementation in iOS8. For example I can use a 3rd party keyboard in Gmail on the iPhone but it doesn't work when trying to write an app review. Nor does it automatically revert to the default keyboard. It just breaks.

I've always thought of Apple as holding back functionality until they get it right, while Google just throws it out there half assed and iterates until it's right. This time Apple was late AND half assed.

The question is... will they learn anything from this episode or is this the new normal?

Back