Apple Ticked at Apple

Congratulations! Is the Air 2 really that much lighter than the Air?
yep!!

Also, Its way faster and more stable that my old ipad3, so I am just about to jump in to Infocom again as well as some more complex games.

image.jpg

For the Zork fans. Thats only 3 of the games though, theres another 24 in the pack.

I am loving my Iphone 6+ and am debating if I will take mini Ipad mini on any more trips or even get rid of it, my full size Ipad is now my night table computer, for laptops I use a 15" for work and a 10" Air for personal travel.
I may be jaded because I have been using Apple since original Mac, even have an Apple Newton still in a rawer somewhere, but for the last couple of years I replace my work Blackberry with an Android phone, and I hate it compared to my personal Iphone, I hate needed to be a part of Google, I hate the extra security I have to have on it for work, I basically hate the OS
Before I had a laptop, I had a full size ipad and did a lot of editing on that too, when I was traveling. But I got a laptop and replaced the full size ipad with a mini, which I like better for almost everything other than photo editing. And for the stuff I use it for, I think the 6+ may do the job just as well as the mini. I've played around with one and it's comfortable enough in my looser pockets, which is about all I use these days.

And I have big mitts, so I can do basic stuff like phone calls one handed and I'm happy to use both hands for lots of other uses. It'll probably steal a lot of time from my Kindle too, which I'll just use outdoors at the beach and stuff where glare is a real issue on a backlit screen...

-Ray

I am loving my Iphone 6+ and am debating if I will take mini Ipad mini on any more trips or even get rid of it, my full size Ipad is now my night table computer, for laptops I use a 15" for work and a 10" Air for personal travel.
I may be jaded because I have been using Apple since original Mac, even have an Apple Newton still in a rawer somewhere, but for the last couple of years I replace my work Blackberry with an Android phone, and I hate it compared to my personal Iphone, I hate needed to be a part of Google, I hate the extra security I have to have on it for work, I basically hate the OS

I'm really enjoying the 6+ too, after less than a day with it... Just went to do some shopping and have lunch at Wegmans - I paid for lunch and then groceries all with Apple Pay, which is pretty slick. And sitting having lunch, it's a great size to read on and surf on, or even watch a video if that's what you want to do. I do still find it a real hassle to type on in any sort of web context - I tried responding to this thread from lunch, but it was an exercise in frustration with not enough room between the keyboard and the top of the screen to see what you're typing. It would probably work fine with some sites, but for Amin's forums, I think I'd need to use the apps rather than full desktop mode, which I can do fine on the ipad mini... So, anyway, had to wait until now, back at home on my desktop machine, to type this response. If I can work that out, though, the mini and the Kindle are gonna get a LOT less use going forward...

-Ray

I did it today. Air2 + 128GB

My Air2+64Gb is coming today to replace my iPad2+128Gb. Thought about switching to an Android tablet (I switched from iPhone to Android a couple of years ago) but I plan on writing more ebooks and the iPad is the 800# gorilla of that biz, particularly when it comes to picture books.

It's looking more and more like the ultimate solution - like it or not - is an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6. They solve the immediate performance issues and they're still more attractive, at least for many of us and for a number of reasons, compared with the competition.

Excuse me - could all those on the "Ticked off with Apple" bench please budge up a bit? I thought I had seen the last of Apple's insidious, pernicious ways years ago when I escaped from the "garden" but I lent out an SD card to be used to get some files from a Mac to a printer yesterday. Today I found a "Trashes" folder on there that was the very devil to get rid of. Bah...

Just a 'trashes' folder? Ooh - you didn't find the secret Megatrash folder yet....

I'm really enjoying the 6+ too, after less than a day with it... Just went to do some shopping and have lunch at Wegmans - I paid for lunch and then groceries all with Apple Pay, which is pretty slick. And sitting having lunch, it's a great size to read on and surf on, or even watch a video if that's what you want to do. I do still find it a real hassle to type on in any sort of web context - I tried responding to this thread from lunch, but it was an exercise in frustration with not enough room between the keyboard and the top of the screen to see what you're typing. It would probably work fine with some sites, but for Amin's forums, I think I'd need to use the apps rather than full desktop mode, which I can do fine on the ipad mini... So, anyway, had to wait until now, back at home on my desktop machine, to type this response. If I can work that out, though, the mini and the Kindle are gonna get a LOT less use going forward... -Ray

My wife and I have iPhone6 and 6-plus (64 and 128 gb), and iPad Minis 1st and 2nd gen. Her big complaint is that the screens of the iPad Minis don't match the iPhones very well in color or contrast, although all of these are Retina I think.

It's looking more and more like the ultimate solution - like it or not - is an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6. They solve the immediate performance issues and they're still more attractive, at least for many of us and for a number of reasons, compared with the competition.

Or a Sony Xperia tablet and Z Ultra 'phone, as I have... More robust (no bending :rolleyes: ) better battery life, takes micro SD cards, etc. etc. etc. etc. And they are dust and waterproof... :D

I do still find it a real hassle to type on in any sort of web context

with the state of voice recognition what it is, I am AMAZED.... SHOCKED & amazed that our devices are still forcing us to type on keyboards (and worse yet tiny little touchscreens !!). It's embarrassing. The software engineers ought to be ashamed. We had men walking around on the surface of the moon 40 years ago and despite the fact computers can now very easily understand what we are saying to them, not one single person besides me (and I'm an idiot) has thought it important enough to make it the default mode of data input?! I just wasted 4 minutes typing this response when I could have said it in 30 seconds.

Also while I was typing this, I'm quite sure someone somewhere was in a collision because they were texting while driving.

*steps off soap box to signify rant over*

with the state of voice recognition what it is, I am AMAZED.... SHOCKED & amazed that our devices are still forcing us to type on keyboards (and worse yet tiny little touchscreens !!). It's embarrassing. The software engineers ought to be ashamed. We had men walking around on the surface of the moon 40 years ago and despite the fact computers can now very easily understand what we are saying to them, not one single person besides me (and I'm an idiot) has thought it important enough to make it the default mode of data input?! I just wasted 4 minutes typing this response when I could have said it in 30 seconds.

Also while I was typing this, I'm quite sure someone somewhere was in a collision because they were texting while driving.

Actually voice input is very easy on the iPhone. I'm actually dictating this right now and it's coming through really well. But there are situations, like sitting in a crowded grocery store, where you wouldn't really want to be talking to your phone and dictating a message. But it works really well when you're in a situation where you can use it. And it's not difficult to use - you just have to touch the little microphone.

-Ray

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Actually voice input is very easy on the iPhone. I'm actually dictating this right now and it's coming through really well. But there are situations, like sitting in a crowded grocery store, where you wouldn't really want to be talking to your phone and dictating a message. But it works really well when you're in a situation where you can use it. And it's not difficult to use - you just have to touch the little microphone.

-Ray

Very true. There are social situations where voice input is undesirable. But it's also a matter of editing. Speaking a coherent thought is a very different thing than writing and editing one. For me at least. And I often pause and think about what to say, which the phone sometimes assumes as a sign that I'm finished. I'm not, I'm just slow.

That said, I have gotten into the habit of talking to my phone, saying, "OK Google Now, what's up?" and listening to my notifications. Pretty cool.

Many, many years ago, back in the last millennium I learned to touch-type with the aid of a DOS-based program. About the only thing I remember of the experience was a "lobster" made up of letters and punctuation that chased across the page from left to right, faster and faster. If you typed correctly, you stayed ahead of it. If you mistyped a word, you had to retype it; all the while the lobster got closer and closer, a bit like pac-man. To this day I am a deadly-accurate touch-typist; it's a skill that has stood me in good stead for years, and if I had my way it would be mandatory in schools, in the same way handwriting classes used to be, as a "life skill".

That said, I took great pleasure today in writing a thank-you letter in longhand with my Montblanc. I am sinistral, so I find a fountain pen both slows me down, in order to be legible, and makes me think more about what I am writing. It is satisfying, in a way that typing never can be, even on a Smith Corona or an Underwood.

Or a Sony Xperia tablet and Z Ultra 'phone, as I have... More robust (no bending :rolleyes: ) better battery life, takes micro SD cards, etc. etc. etc. etc. And they are dust and waterproof... :D

I like the hardware. I just with they weren't Android phones.

Many, many years ago, back in the last millennium I learned to touch-type with the aid of a DOS-based program. About the only thing I remember of the experience was a "lobster" made up of letters and punctuation that chased across the page from left to right, faster and faster. If you typed correctly, you stayed ahead of it. If you mistyped a word, you had to retype it; all the while the lobster got closer and closer, a bit like pac-man. To this day I am a deadly-accurate touch-typist; it's a skill that has stood me in good stead for years, and if I had my way it would be mandatory in schools, in the same way handwriting classes used to be, as a "life skill".

That said, I took great pleasure today in writing a thank-you letter in longhand with my Montblanc. I am sinistral, so I find a fountain pen both slows me down, in order to be legible, and makes me think more about what I am writing. It is satisfying, in a way that typing never can be, even on a Smith Corona or an Underwood.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter in high school in the 1970s. But my methods were partially undermined because I was working in a real radio newsroom on the weekend and I simply had to type faster than my skills would allow at the time. So I developed a combination of proper Qwerty touch-typing and hunt-and-peck that has worked very well for me for many years. 60 wpm with very few errors. But over the past decade, I have found that a combination of computer keyboards (that never worked as well as a real typewriter) combined with advancing middle age have slowed my speed and upped my error rate. I can still type well enough but there's no joy in it.

Despite my love of longhand, repetitive-stress injuries have really destroyed my handwriting style and made a drudgery out of writing letters. A pity.

I basically hate the OS

I tried really hard to like Android. I have owned more Android phones than iPhones, so you could say I have had enough experience of it. Its a dogs breakfast. There are no consistencies between manufacturers of phones, and the only way to get a decent experience is to root it and install something that has not got all the manufacturer or Telco's additional cruft. (It was Cyanogenmod for me, but I haven't done it now for ages and am not interested). I don't need to jailbreak my iPhone. Everything I need is already there or already accessible. Yes, there is "stuff" that Apple is installing because they think we all need it ( could not give a rats a$$ about stocks, and I don't bother with newsstand, podcasts, video and I use other apps for weather and calendar...) so I stick the useless ones (to me... I know many like the apps I do not) in a folder and move it to the last screen.

Back