Fuji Tiffen Dfx: A PC option for X-E1 and X-Pro1 raw file conversion (with images)

carlb

All-Pro
There are a few choices for raw conversion to jpeg for the X-E1 and the X-Pro1 in the PC Realm: Light Room 4 (no Windows XP support), Photoshop CS6, Fuji's supplied SilkyPix, and ... ?

Well, one of my work-horse post processors now supports the X-E1 and X-Pro1 raw file format: Tiffen Dfx 3. I thought I'd try conversion for a somewhat difficult raw file - shot at near dusk. Comparison to in-camera conversion is given.

I have a few initial conclusions based on what I see from the original size images (these are just "large," click-through to flickr for the option to see the original files, set them up in separate tabs for comparison).

1) For wide-angles, Fuji appears to be cutting down the angle-of-view for the in-camera jpg conversion. I think this might be to reduce wide-angle distortion, if I had to guess.

2) In-camera conversion can give you great results, but for optimizing dynamic range in the image without clipping, an external converter such as Tiffen is a big help. Tiffen gives a great histogram showing changes to conversion parameters, very helpful.

3) Moderate sharpening can be done in-camera just about as well as with Tiffen.

4) Post-sharpening an in-camera converted jpeg can result in brightening artifacts if the final exposure is too hot.

8673895778_db88df4342_b.jpg

In-camera conversion raw to jpg by cbmn, on Flickr

8673893958_14c4b75cdc_b.jpg

Tiffen Dfx raw to jpg conversion - Neutral settings by cbmn, on Flickr

8673947296_b52b82890c_b.jpg

In-camera conversion raw to jpg with post sharpening by cbmn, on Flickr

8673950294_0ebb3c3cdd_b.jpg

Tiffen Dfx: raw to jpg conversion, and brightened/sharpened by cbmn, on Flickr

8673999316_99a62ac414_b.jpg

In-camera: darkened sharpened and converted from raw by cbmn, on Flickr

Finally, a medium-high sharpened, low noise reduction conversion with Silkypix:

8674119866_46985ce18d_b.jpg

Silkypix converted by cbmn, on Flickr

It appears that noise reduction might need to be completely on minimum with Silkypix, there is definitely a softening going on there ...

Hi Rico,

I don't know what Tiffen is using for conversion, and can't find anything on the topic with a site search or web search ...

Overall, the Tiffen conversion seems about as good as in-camera conversion (very preliminary finding), although Tiffen gives you better visuals for determining your conversion parameter settings than you get in the camera.

I'll be interested to use the updated Silkypics. My initial conversion attempts with it have not been as sharp as the Tiffen or in-camera conversion, but it has a lot more parameters to adjust which I do like.

Back