Leica Tim Vanderweert has passed away, January 9th 2023.

Brian

Product of the Fifties

Tim beat the odds for the last 6 months. His wife posted notice of his death. Just sad to lose him.

For any of you that have read Leicaphilia over the last few years, Tim is losing his battle with cancer.

I've corresponded with him over the years, have enjoyed his articles.

After reading his Sonnar articles, offered to work on his LTM SOnnar 5cm F1.5. He insisted on paying after the work was done. I got even and threw a J-3 into the box with the Sonnar. I remember why I chose the particular J-3: It was made in 1958, same year as he was born. I shimmed it to work on Nikon Rangefinders, he had bought a Nikon S3.
Everybody should take pictures with a lens made the same year they were born.

This hits hard- Tim is my age. He posted a self portrait that he took as a Teen-Ager. He had a "good ole reliable" Argus/Cosina STL1000, same as what I bought when fourteen. I could identify with him on many levels.

Last edited:
That's depressingly sad. He posted this just two months ago:

20220825_232535.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading through some of Tim's recent blog posts and came across one about Epson printers. I have not done much printing because of the ink cost. I recently replaced an older Epson all in one with a newer one with the ink tanks, the Epson ET-4850. We still use the fax function so that was important. The print quality has been better than the old one and of course it is cheaper to operate. Reading through Tim's post though has got me thinking about the ET-8550 because of his glowing review. Not as a replacement for the all in one but in addition to it. I particularly like his comments about black and white printing and then the comment about the free Epson Print Layout software which has a plug-in for Adobe. All in all, it sounds like a reasonable printing solution. His posts and thoughts will be missed.

I was reading through some of Tim's recent blog posts and came across one about Epson printers. I have not done much printing because of the ink cost. I recently replaced an older Epson all in one with a newer one with the ink tanks, the Epson ET-4850. We still use the fax function so that was important. The print quality has been better than the old one and of course it is cheaper to operate. Reading through Tim's post though has got me thinking about the ET-8550 because of his glowing review. Not as a replacement for the all in one but in addition to it. I particularly like his comments about black and white printing and then the comment about the free Epson Print Layout software which has a plug-in for Adobe. All in all, it sounds like a reasonable printing solution. His posts and thoughts will be missed.
Link please, Bruce.

So,

My wife and I drove down to Raleigh on Wednesday. Picked up my son and Daughter in law, and we went to the exhibition of Tim's photographs.

Tim's wife was there, and we had a nice chat.

The exhibit was literally in a chapel, with the photos hung on the walls. It was simple, with photos mounted in mats and no other framing. Suited the imagery perfectly. If you have perused the website, you have prolly seen most of the imagery, but I'm very happy that I went.

The bonus to the trip was I got to see my kids.

cheers,

Last edited:
Back