Feedback Time for a PENTAX compact camera system forum!

I like the idea, Sue, but I would worry that it would be a bit quiet. I think there are 2 of us on the forum with a K-01. :eek:

What about merging the Ricoh GXR and Q forum and make it a Pentax/Ricoh CSC forum? It sounds like we have some more systems coming down the line, good stuff, but these may always be smaller, niche products?

Speaking of the K-01, I was pixel peeping (again) at DPR, and the RAW files from the K-01 at 6400 actually look a little bit cleaner than the K-5 (but also slightly softer too). Notwithstanding the softness, the K-01 at 6400 might be the second best looking RAW files for APS-C cameras, after only the X100. DPR doesn't have studio samples for XP1 yet though.

I like the idea, Sue, but I would worry that it would be a bit quiet. I think there are 2 of us on the forum with a K-01. :eek:

What about merging the Ricoh GXR and Q forum and make it a Pentax/Ricoh CSC forum? It sounds like we have some more systems coming down the line, good stuff, but these may always be smaller, niche products?

Possibly. Ultimately its up to Amin, but the K-01 isnt a DSLR and so deserves a spot of its own or shared with other Pentax mirrorless.

Speaking of the K-01, I was pixel peeping (again) at DPR, and the RAW files from the K-01 at 6400 actually look a little bit cleaner than the K-5 (but also slightly softer too). Notwithstanding the softness, the K-01 at 6400 might be the second best looking RAW files for APS-C cameras, after only the X100. DPR doesn't have studio samples for XP1 yet though.

I agree with everything you wrote: that the K-01 has very, very clean RAW files, that they look (a bit suspiciously) soft, that I would probably put them slightly after the X100 and slightly before the NEX-5N or K-5. Obviously there isn't much to seperate each of them.

Maybe some of the forums just need some renaming or refining. For instance, the Canon G1X doesn't fit any of the existing forums, but if a separate one was created just for it it won't have a lot of threads in it!

Nic, doesn't the G1x fit in the fixed lens small sensor forum under Canon. I know the sensor is bigger than most of the others in there, but I think it's way to group them together. It really is similar to the the other G series cameras, just bigger and better, right?

Hi Luke.

Yes, that's where I put the sample image thread that I created, but the small sensor designation is a bit misleading. I think there is also the "Fixed-Lens APS-C Camera Forums" which it might fit under in a sub-forum but technically it isn't an APS-C sensor, and fixed lens might also refer to a fixed focal length rather as well as a non-interchangeable lens. Actually while we're discussing the topic, the Sigma DP sensor isn't quite APS-C sized either, lol.

I wonder whether there are maybe too many camera specific forums that don't contain many threads, and when new classes of camera are being created it means the forums either need to keep up and be expanded or become less specific and more flexible.

I don't know how much you change everything up once it's been running for awhile. If the site had a ton more users, you would definitely want all the subdivisions. But as the traffic is now, you could really just break it down into 3 or 4 bigger all-encompassing forums. I just don;t think you could ever easily re-assign older threads into the new forums. Or it would be a massive headache and really wouldn't streamline anything that much.

Maybe it could just be 3...... Black cameras, silver cameras, colorful cameras...... ;)

Lol, yes something like that. It just seems that there are few new square pegs that don't quite fit into any of the existing round holes. It's not really a problem in how I access the site, just an observation. I tend to stick to current threads using the list on the right and only rarely go into any specific forums or sub-forums.

Back